Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Want to run outdoor speakers using my 811

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:55 AM

I'd like to use the analog audio from the 811 to run some outdoor speakers (that I haven't bought yet...), but am unsure how to do this. :confused: I'd like to have my Sirius Big '80s :listening outside with me while gardening/swimming/working on the water feature/etc.. Currently, I have the analog hooked up to the TV speakers, but I never use them. I like the rock-shaped speakers, but the bass will also be important. :D It's probably 50' or more from the 811 to the area where I want to use the speakers, if that matters. What's the best/easiest way to do this without breaking the bank?
Laverne

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rcbridge

rcbridge

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:18 AM

You will need an amplifier with a volume control, or a receiver or intergrated amp.
How loud do you want to play it?
How efficient are the speakers in question?

#3 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:23 AM

I haven't bought any speakers yet, waiting on the recommendations of the people here... :)

As far as loud, not too terribly, not enough to annoy the neighbors. :sure: Small town, older houses, half-acre lots, close neighbors, you get the picture.
Laverne

#4 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:19 AM

Some receivers have two sets of speaker outputs. My pioneer setup has a button where you can choose set A, B, A&B, or none. The easiest way if your AV receiver has something similiar would be to just hook up the outside speakers to the seperate output. If you don't have a seperate output, your next best bet is to get a basic amplifier and run a set of outputs from your receiver to the amp.

Your outside speakers are going to get hooked up essentially the same way as your indoor speakers. The speakers themselves should be waterproof if they are going to be exposed to the elements.

#5 OFFLINE   rcbridge

rcbridge

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:21 PM

Are you using an A/V receiver now or any amplifier or just the TV speakers?
If so as suggested there may be a second pair of speaker terminals.
If not you will need to get some type of amplifier.

#6 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:17 PM

Right now I have the 811 hooked up to the receiver via toslink. So the analog audio out on the 811 is going to waste. No, the receiver doesn't have a second set of speaker terminals.

I do have an old Wal-Mart surround system collecting dust. Could I use the rock speakers from Best Buy with it?
Laverne

#7 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:15 PM

You would be better off upgrading to a new home theater receiver that has A/B speaker setup. Then all you need is to run a 2nd set of speaker wires to the back patio. While the "rock speakers" may blend in with the environment more than likely they will not sound all that great. You would be better off (IMHO) getting a more traditional looking set of outdoor speakers and mounting them under the eves of the house angled down somewhat. The elements will start to degrade the speaker cones pretty fast even if they are listed as outdoor. Best to keep them out of the elements as much as possible.
Mike

"I always wanted to be a scientist, and now I are one."

#8 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:15 PM

Ibglowin, you're forgetting the "without breaking the bank" clause.

It doesn't have to sound like the darn theater. I just want something that sounds better than a little jam box. :grin:
Laverne

#9 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:43 PM

Guess that depends on what your definition of "breaking the bank" is. You can pick up a decent Sony A/V receiver for $149 or less for some of the store branded receivers that will have A/B speaker selectors. I also see a pair of Yamaha outdoor 2 way speakers for $99 which is the same price as the outdoor rock speakers.
Mike

#10 OFFLINE   bobsupra

bobsupra

Work In Progress

• Gold Members
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 03:33 PM

There is another option I've seen. Sharper Image has a pair of wireless outdoor speakers where the transmitter plugs into the headphone jack of your receiver. Runs $150 and the range is said to be 150 feet. I don't know the quality.
To shut down XP, hit start button. :D

#11 OFFLINE   Larry Caldwell

Larry Caldwell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 03:45 PM

Guess that depends on what your definition of "breaking the bank" is. You can pick up a decent Sony A/V receiver for $149 or less for some of the store branded receivers that will have A/B speaker selectors. I also see a pair of Yamaha outdoor 2 way speakers for $99 which is the same price as the outdoor rock speakers.

I use an old pair of Radio Shack bookshelf speakers, about 15 years old. I think they are "Optimus" speakers. They have a powder coat metal case, and I hang them under the eaves where they are protected from sun and rain. I bought them on a 'twofer" sale, I think for $69 in 1990. They aren't much for rock 'n roll, but for background music from the radio channels they sound OK. I run them as B speakers from the Sony amp in the bedroom, but when I use them in my travel trailer I use a 20 watt 2-input mini stereo amp that I found at a garage sale for $10.

#12 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,435 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:14 AM

As others have said, you'll still need a receiver or audio amplifier to drive the speakers. As to speaker choice, your budget will have to be your guide, recognizing that the really good ones are going to be pricey. Best Buy and CC carry a variety of speakers. Personally, I'd stay away from the "wreless" speakers you can find at Sharper Image and Home Depot.

#13 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:37 AM

I am using the exact same thing pretty much. I bought a pair of Optimus Outdoor speakers at Radio Shack when we bought our new house 6 years ago. I caught them onsale 2 for 1 so I ended up paying $75 for the pair. They were/are a gorgeous set, very well made with white, heavy metal enclosures. They are mounted under the eaves about 30 foot apart. They still sound great to this day. We are outdoors quite abit in the Summer so we always have one of the Dish Sirius channels going it seems. Hardest part was running the wires in the attic to the patio as well as down an interior wall and out to the back of the AV receiver but it was worth it all! :D

I use an old pair of Radio Shack bookshelf speakers, about 15 years old. I think they are "Optimus" speakers. They have a powder coat metal case, and I hang them under the eaves where they are protected from sun and rain. I bought them on a 'twofer" sale, I think for $69 in 1990. They aren't much for rock 'n roll, but for background music from the radio channels they sound OK. I run them as B speakers from the Sony amp in the bedroom, but when I use them in my travel trailer I use a 20 watt 2-input mini stereo amp that I found at a garage sale for $10.

Mike

#14 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:51 AM

What's the best/easiest way to do this without breaking the bank?

There you go:

http://www.smarthome.com/8214.html

#15 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:22 PM

I have my 921 set up to feed the Serius channels, analog out to a small 50watt stereo power amp, I bought at a pawn shop for $50. It's a Sony. It has two volume controls but I set them to max and forget about them. From that amp, I feed a speaker volume control that is mounted outside on the wall of the house. That cost me about $50 at Sound Advice but it is not really necessary. The speakers I first bought were not designed for the outside and they didn't last but one season. Then I bought a pair of hanging flower pot type speakers at Sound Advice. They have been up working fine for about 3 years now. The only problem I have with the system is the program selection. So I discovered I could use the UHF remote control on the 921 and I keep it outside now just for program selection. The good thing about these outdoor designed speakers is they are loud around the pool but for sound is barely there at our neighbors. In fact, much beyond the pool area it is hard to hear. The hanging pots aim the sound down to the ground rather than out across the back yard.

#16 OFFLINE   mkpolley

mkpolley

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:27 AM

Laverne..... I just upgraded my reciever,because of DD issues with the 811.
old reciever is a Aiwa AV-DV75,good for analog,sucks for DD.
yours for 75.00...you pay shipping,it works good.....search for model number,take a look at it.

spam firewall