Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problem With My Onkyo HT-R490 (My have been my fault)

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:51 AM

About 2 months ago the front display on mine just quit. I couldn't figure it out. Well...a month later I turned it on...and I only clicked once (it usually clicks twice) and no sound. So I called around and got some estimates...$75 to $125 an Hour. Plus parts.
Well...I was reading a Smarthome for Dummies book last night. :D
Well.... :D I Think I Fried It! I was reading about Impedance. Uh Oh!

I had 2 speakers wired through one terminal. I think it overheated.
I took it apart just kinda poking around. I took off the front panel and The plastic behind the display was melted!

Now...It this a fixable problem or should I buy a new receiver?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,213 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:15 AM

:rolleyes:

When you wire two (or more) speakers in parallel into a single terminal pair, you reduce the impedance as seen by the amp by half the sum of the speaker ratings. (in parallel, 6Ω+6Ω=3Ω ) This results in a troubling doubling of current draw, which, in turn, will fry your finals and cook your goose

Don't spend money on a new a/v receiver until you purchase, read and understand the book "A/V Receivers for Dummies".

www.amazon.com

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:06 AM

:rolleyes:

When you wire two (or more) speakers in parallel into a single terminal pair, you reduce the impedance as seen by the amp by half the sum of the speaker ratings. (in parallel, 6Ω+6Ω=3Ω ) This results in a troubling doubling of current draw, which, in turn, will fry your finals and cook your goose

Don't spend money on a new a/v receiver until you purchase, read and understand the book "A/V Receivers for Dummies".

www.amazon.com

Ok, Ok...Very Funny...I know I'm an Idiot. I just didn't think about it at the time. Is it fixable?

#4 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:08 AM

Can anyone recommend a good Suround Sound System (Speakers Included)?

#5 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:21 AM

I have a question...Can you put say...speakers with an impedance of 8 with a receiver that handles 6?

#6 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:42 AM

I think I'm going to get this one.
http://www.circuitci...tDetail.do#tabs

#7 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,213 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:13 PM

I think I'm going to get this one.
http://www.circuitci...tDetail.do#tabs

KMart quality. Kick in another hundred or so and get something actually worth stealing.

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:28 PM

I have a Sony system (part of my HTIB). This one has 90 more watts than mine, which sounds really great in my small old living room. :)

HOWEVER, you might want to notice how many inputs there are, cuz this will be important. ;) Go down to CC and physically look at it yourself, and think about how many components you have. If any components have to share inputs, this can be tricky. :yesman: Also consider expansion possibilities. If you ever want to have speakers somewhere else in the house or outside (I know, I never did either until about a couple weeks ago :rolleyes: ), you'll really want to look for a receiver with A/B speaker outputs.

Also, what Nick said. :D
Laverne

#9 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:37 PM

Well...I only really need 1 input...all of my audio goes through my TV then there is an output on my TV...That way when I switch video I don't have to switch an Audio receiver too.

By the way...that system will have to do...I'm a little strapped for cash right now.

#10 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,213 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:00 PM

:imwith:

Has anyone ever told you that you are just a wee bit impulsive? Your original post asking for guidance has been up for less than 12 hours. You can't even wait for the advice you ask for. One characteristic of maturity is possessing the ability to delay gratification.

If you are "a little strapped for cash", as you say, should you really be considering spending $200 on an inadequate receiver? Your TV has sound? Use it and put off buying something you obviously can't afford.

Oh, I forgot, you're probably going to charge it, thereby adding to your previously mentioned onerous credit card debt load. :nono2:

Go figure. :rolleyes:

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#11 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:01 PM

:imwith:

Has anyone ever told you that you are just a wee bit impulsive? A characteristic of maturity is possessing the ability to delay gratification. If you are "a little strapped for cash", as you say, should you really be considering spending $200 on an inadequate receiver?

Oh, I forgot, you're probably going to charge it, thereby adding to your previously mentioned onerous credit card debt load. :nono2:

Fine...Would it make you happy if I spent more money? :lol:

#12 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:06 PM

Fine...Would it make you happy if I spent more money? :lol:

It would make ME happy if you hooked up your 811 straight to this receiver via toslink, thereby enjoying the wonderful DD you get from your HD Pak. :)

(And for all you 811 DD nay-sayers out there, yes it will work! :mad: DD only quits working in the expensive receivers! :yesman: :P )
Laverne

#13 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:09 PM

....One characteristic of maturity is possessing the ability to delay gratification.....

Too bad more men don't possess this "ability"! ;) ;) :sure:
Laverne

#14 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,213 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:12 PM

"Fine...Would it make you happy if I spent more money?"

Your response sounds exactly like my teenage granddaughter. She's 15

Frankly, I really don't care what you do. It's your freakin' life. You're free to screw it up any stupid way you see fit, but if you're not interested in at least listening to the advice you ask for, just don't come here asking for help. If you won't listen, we can't help you.

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#15 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:50 PM

Your response sounds exactly like my teenage granddaughter. She's 15

Frankly, I really don't care what you do. It's your freakin' life. You're free to screw it up any stupid way you see fit, but if you're not interested in at least listening to the advice you ask for, just don't come here asking for help. If you won't listen, we can't help you.

Oh...Quit campiring my to your "15 year old granddaughter" I really don't appreciate that...and I know you wouldn't appreciate it either. Thank You. :)

#16 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 04:13 PM

Is my problem Fixable?

#17 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,213 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 04:54 PM

Is my problem Fixable?

Probably, with intensive, long-term therapy. Your Onkyo, on the other hand, is fried.

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#18 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:55 PM

Probably, with intensive, long-term therapy. Your Onkyo, on the other hand, is fried.

LOL :D
You know Nick...Under that grumpy exterror...you CAN be pretty Funny! :lol:

#19 OFFLINE   nsafreak

nsafreak

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 03:24 AM

Ok here's what I would personally recommend. Your Onkyo is fried and would probably cost more money to repair than it is actually worth unless you have one of their flagship models which I don't think that particular model is in this case. However I would stay far, far away from Sony products. About the only model line from them that is worth a damn is their ES line and that's vastly overpriced anyways. Here are some reasonably budget priced receivers:

1) Harman Kardon AVR-235 details
2) Onkyo TX-SR602 details

I would also recommend running all of your audio and video through the receiver instead of the TV. You get much better sound that way and believe it or not it makes switching that much easier. You simply switch through each input on the the receiver and leave your TV on component or S-video or whatever you have the receiver's monitor out hooked into at all times.

#20 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 08:03 AM

I just want a whole new HTIB.

spam firewall