Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

501/508/510 - P3.00 Software Release Notes and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:39 PM

Here they are, straight from my contacts at Dish:
  • Improved disk drive management for spin down control.
  • Improvements to operation of guide scrolling, ensuring a live pause buffer and ensuring functioning of all event timers.
    Reducing the occurrences of black screens with no video or audio.
  • Updated an informational pop up message to alert customers to when the hard drive temperature is high. This condition can occur when the air ventilation is blocked by the customer.

Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MrAkai

MrAkai

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:54 PM

Doesn't sound like a justified jump to version 3 (from version 2.xx) unless there's a lot changed under the hood as well. Then again dish software number never followed the norm.

#3 OFFLINE   Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 04:16 PM

Mark,

Do you have a 5XX rec.?

Did they fix the bug where if you were watching a dvr show and did a search after about 2 minutes it would kick you out of your search/dvr setup and return you to the show?

Otherwise (and the above is not a big deal) my box is very, very reliable and i trust it 10x times more then my 921. I hope this didn't kill the reliability with this seemily unimportant update.....

Jon

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,752 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:16 PM

Doesn't sound like a justified jump to version 3 (from version 2.xx) unless there's a lot changed under the hood as well. Then again dish software number never followed the norm.

If you will see how Dishnetwork numbering the versions , you'll not see any jumps there.
The version numbers are _unique_ thru ALL models, ie P224-P299 taken for other receivers or PVRs.

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:35 PM

So P. Smith. What you are saying is that Dish does not allow duplicate version numbers to release. They must have a rule that it is unique across all receivers? WOW. that is interesting to say the list and if true the "Tip of the Day!"
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#6 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:43 PM

Mine just downloaded it today.

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:05 AM

Yes I have 2 508s, but neither have taken the download yet. And I've never tried to run a seatch while watching a DVR event with them.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#8 OFFLINE   AllieVi

AllieVi

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 04:45 PM

Mine is 3.00 as of mid-afternoon 2005-03-09 (Pacific time). My receiver was turned "off" since last evening.
AllieVi

For good reason, I never criticize someone until I've walked a mile in their shoes. If they don't like what I say, what're they gonna' do? I'm a mile away. And they have no shoes!

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,752 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:25 PM

My source reported two ranges: 30,945,274...33,490,273; 53,090,274...53,535,273.
Wow ! That's around 2.5 millions of receivers !
Now, Darkman, tell me about first 'test' group, hehe :).

#10 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:51 PM

So I assume that the 522 also warns you in a pop up banner if the temperature is too high in the receiver. Hope they do this in the 721 and 921 as well.

#11 OFFLINE   Geeke19

Geeke19

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 06:00 AM

turned my 510 off going to wait until 610 to turn it back on it see if it took the update.
comcast blast internet

directv HR24/100 HD DVR receiver

#12 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 12:21 PM

Geeke19,
Don't think it's going "widespread" yet to all the receivers out there (as of 12:20 PM March 10, 2005 - Dish's link doesn't show so anyhow)...

Some more on this here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...?t=39543&page=2

P.Smith... huh? :) -----> all i know is that according to Dish's page - it's not widespread yet .. (or course "reported sources" might be fresher then some page) ;)

#13 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 05:43 PM

the version P3.00 S/W is "widespread" now as of March 15th (according to Dishnet's s/w page) - it's now available to all the 501/508/510s out there :)

#14 OFFLINE   Horsepower

Horsepower

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:04 AM

Mine updated sometime in the last week. Would be nice if it fixed the hang on spin-up problem.
722 - L676

#15 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:13 AM

What problem is that, Horsepower? Hard drives do take a little bit of time to physically spin up when they've been shut down. The only way to get rid of the delay would be to leave them spinning all the time.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#16 OFFLINE   Pils

Pils

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:44 AM

Anyone have any problems with this update? I have ask for permission to download and it keeps asking me. I am just hesitant due to having the software downloaded not be reversible. They have a history of messing something up, but at least the 5xx series have been solid now so shouldn't be a problem. Just curious what others think. Because I have ask to download set, my box misses timers if I have it turned off because when it powers, it ask to update and won't record til I answer it.

#17 OFFLINE   bnewt

bnewt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:52 AM

Turned on my 508 this a.m. to check to see if it had this update & noticed that the time was incorrect. Pulling the smart card did not correct, then ran check switch & it seemed to correct. Why would the update cause a time malfunciton?

May God Guide and Guard the USA!

#18 OFFLINE   Pils

Pils

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 05:32 PM

Well, I am not happy at all with this. I was satisfied with the old software, my 510 has worked flawless for the most part over the last 6 months. I have had to reset it a couple times over that period, no big deal. So I kept avoiding the software update because it being undoable if somethine goes wrong. It basically makes you take the upgrade though if you want your timers to fire because I turn my box off when in use. Needless to say, this new upgrade 3.00 made my box junk. Add another box of mine to that list. In only 2 days, I have had to reboot it and I have missed 3 of 5 timers. I never missed a timer with this box in the past. I turn my box off when not in use. I came home at 11 last night and saw it recording SNL, good thing. I turned the tv on and saw it recording correctly. I never touched the receiver or the boxes controller so the after recording it could turn off automatically. When I woke up, the box was still on, so I knew something was wrong. But the box acted normal, not locked up. I went to the pvr screen and SNL was not in there, but I saw it recording last night. It is in my room so I know I was the only one who touched this box. This company is really testing me. Hopefully others are fine, but my box is now crap. Forgot to mention, also had a ZSR event.

#19 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:10 PM

In only 2 days, I have had to reboot it and I have missed 3 of 5 timers. I never missed a timer with this box in the past.

On Saturday, my 501 which had never missed any timers with previous software, failed to do any of its timers that day, until I rebooted it. This despite the fact that I reboot all receivers every night before bed.

Do two data points mean a problem ? Hmmm...

#20 OFFLINE   Pils

Pils

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:16 PM

Sorry man, the history of dishnetwork says 99% of the people have to report the problem before there is a problem. Even if 99% have the problem, it is not a problem unless dishnetwork hears from a 99%. Sorry to hear, guess there are others out there with the 3.00 problem. They should create a way to revert to old software for the messups.

spam firewall