Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is an upconverting home theater reveriver woth it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kcho6

kcho6

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:45 PM

I was recently given a Sony 55inch Grand Vega tv. Standard television does not look too good on the tv. We are going to order HD from direct TV. I have the understanding that not all channels come in HD. Will a home theater receiver that has up converting capabilities have any effect on standard broadcasting? Thinking of purchasing the Denon AVR-2105? Good, bad, any other recommendations? let me know. Thanks.

Ken :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   nsafreak

nsafreak

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 03:15 AM

It might make it look a bit better but don't expect any miracles. Home theater receivers with upconversion capabilities typically don't do much more than do some line doubling. You might want to look into a video scaler box to see if that helps but you're looking at a fair amount of cash for a decent one.

#3 OFFLINE   RLMesq

RLMesq

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 01:47 PM

I just bought a Denon AVR-1705 receiver to provide video switching for a Dish 942 and Panasonic PT-AE700U projector. The Dish DVR has some internal processing for SD television with component outs, and the receiver doesn't seem to improve (or, for that matter, degrade) the picture quality. It just seemed simpler to run one set of component cables (and one HDMI) to the projector.

By the way, I bought mine for about $225, with shipping, as "B" stock (meaning refurbished). Since HDMI switching and upconversion will be showing up on affordable receivers in the near future, I couldn't see dropping a bunch of cash on something I'll replace in a year or so.

#4 OFFLINE   rickfromthesticks

rickfromthesticks

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:48 PM

I've been eyeing these receivers myself lately, my STR-DB 930 is getting kinda old. There are very few that upconvert to HD. Most that advertise that feature take s-video and up it to component or composite to s-video. You will have RGB at least from your sat receiver and some, like my Dish 811 will upconvert standard video to HD via the RGB cables already.

My 811 does not make enough difference to tell as I have it hooked to my Toshiba 40" RPTV with component and s-video. I can switch back and forth and they both look very good, but I cannot tell the difference on a SD channel. (I certainly can on an HD channel)

Bottom line, even though I'm thinking about upgrading the audio, I won't spend extra to get the upconvert.

Rick

#5 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,272 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:39 PM

This "upconvert" feature is more of a marketing gimmick than a feature. It enables composite and S-video signals to be routed to and output from the component connections. No doubling or processing of the signals(s) or picture improvement takes place.

GIGO :shrug:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

Protected By... spam firewall...And...