Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sanyo DP42545 vs. Panasonic TH-42PD50U

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   N0JS

N0JS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:06 PM

I bought the Sanyo DP42545 at Wal-Mart earlier this week. I was reluctant
to buy it without having seen any reviews yet, but I wanted to see what
$2,000.00 would get me in a 42" plasma. I had also tried the Sylvania
6842PE 42" Widescreen Plasma Display, but I returned that because I decided
I wanted an integrated tuner. Anyway, I think that I may have made a
mistake because neither I nor my wife are particularly impressed with the
picture on the Sanyo. I have looked at CNET and they give the Panasonic
TH-42PD50U a pretty good review. I am thinking of returning the Sanyo and
getting the Panasonic from one of the internet dealers. My questions are:

-Has anyone here ever bought a large screen TV from an internet dealer and
what were your experiences?

-Is there much difference from one plasma TV to another?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:58 AM

If I remember correctly, the Sanyo you purchased was an enhanced definition receiver (EDTV), not HD. This is where the problem lies. It's capable of 640X480 progressive scan, which is DVD quality. If you're shopping at Wal-Mart for a TV, look at the Panasonic 50 inch rear projection LCD set for under $2500. It's not a flat panel, but it is a great value.
If you're set on getting a plasma receiver with NTSC and ATSC tuners, be prepared to spend bigger bucks. Make sure that it is an HDTV receiver, not EDTV. Normally, in the marketplace you'll find four categories of plasma receivers -- EDTV receivers (480P capable), HDTV monitors (no built in tuners, require a set top box -- 1080i capable); HDTV ready receivers (built-in NTSC tuner, but require a set top box for HDTV reception) and HDTV receivers with integrated NTSC and ATSC tuners.
Each HDTV technology has its benefits and shortcomings. Plasmas are wonderful, but expensive, power hungry and generate a lot of heat. LCD flat panels are good, but limited in size. DLP's are relatively inexpensive, but even the best ones suffer to some extent from "rainbow effect" where there's fast motion on the screen. Direct view CRT receivers give the best picture, but are bulky and heavy (my 32 inch Sony weighs 176 pounds). Rear projection CRT sets are relatively inexpensive, but suffer from brightness falloff as you move off to the side. Really good overhead projectors are expensive, and require you to have low room light levels. Rear projection LCD's are a good compromise, typically providing 720P resolution, with built-in downconverision of 1080i to 720p.
My daughter and son-inlaw bought a Sony 60 inch LCD projection receiver, and it's very nice. Not cheap, of course -- around $3000 at stores like Best Buy and Circuit City.
Incidentally, the Panasonic TH-42PD50U is only an EDTV receiver.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

spam firewall