Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Plasma screen care, help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MrFooks

MrFooks

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:56 PM

I bought a Panasonic HD Plasma two weeks ago and my wife wiped the screen with a swiffer cloth to remove the dust.
It left some marks in the screen that I thought windex would clear.
It seems to have made it ten times worse. Any ideas on how to get the glass back to pristine condition?
Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:37 PM

I bought a Panasonic HD Plasma two weeks ago and my wife wiped the screen with a swiffer cloth to remove the dust.
It left some marks in the screen that I thought windex would clear.
It seems to have made it ten times worse. Any ideas on how to get the glass back to pristine condition?
Thanks

Hmmmmm...A swiffer pad should not do that. That is strange.

#3 OFFLINE   MrFooks

MrFooks

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:58 PM

I've been doing some research and it would seem that these screens are caoted with some kind of coating. I don't know what it is or what it does.
Seems to me there should have been some kind of warning label about possible damage to the glass and it's coating.
There is a mention of it though buried in the owners manual.

#4 OFFLINE   JohnGfun

JohnGfun

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:08 PM

I've been doing some research and it would seem that these screens are caoted with some kind of coating. I don't know what it is or what it does.
Seems to me there should have been some kind of warning label about possible damage to the glass and it's coating.
There is a mention of it though buried in the owners manual.

I've always wiped mine with swiffer pads...Are they just regular Swiffer Pads or the scented kind...They WILL leave streaks!

#5 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,300 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 30 May 2005 - 08:36 AM

Unlike CRT-based direct-view tv sets, most, if not all of the 'flat-panel type display screens are not made of tempered glass, but usually some softer, plastic-like material.

It's always best to follow mfr's instructions for screen care, even if that wisdom is buried deep in the user manual. It just does not make sense for you to invest hundreds or thousands of dollars to get the best picture quality possible only to mess up the screen by using artificial Swiffer-type products composed of thousands of hard-plastic fibers , or indiscriminately spraying-on of cleaning solutions such as Windex or other such harsh, chemical-based products.

Personally, I use a clean dry soft cotton cloth to carefull dust my 53" lenticular screen. The cotton fibers of the cotton cloth are softer and, if clean, will not scratch the plastic surface of the screen. Periodically I use the same cloth, cleaned and slightly dampened with filtered water, with just a drop of mild dishwashing liquid mixed in as a surfactant emulsifier. This cloth gets laundered with my whites and is not used for general cleaning.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 10:51 AM

I use a microfiber cloth, designed for cleaning plastic lenses, along with the cleaning fluid for the same purpose.

#7 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:11 AM

I use a microfiber cloth, designed for cleaning plastic lenses, along with the cleaning fluid for the same purpose.

Exactly, When it comes to a more costly investment it never makes sense to try to cut corners on cost of accessories.
KL

#8 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 04:10 PM

And squirt the microfabric, not the screen with the lens cleaner. As these screens don't attract dust, like CRTs, as long as there are no rug rats or smokers in the house, this may be done as little as once a year and sometimes less.

#9 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:09 PM

I have told my crew (bowling ball and rugrats) to NEVER but NEVER touch my lcd computer monitor under penealty of severe beatings!!!! No reason why human fingers should ever touch my various monitor screens! ;)
My time walkin' the blue globe is sparse. Hopefully, see ya'll on the flipside.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...