Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will Danica Ever Go Cup Racing?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Will Danica go Cup Racing? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Will Danica go Cup Racing?

1. Yes (12 votes [54.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

2. No (10 votes [45.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:40 AM

Just a question that popped into my mind. I think there is a good chance she will end up at least taking a shot at some Nascar races just to test the waters. Like it or not Nascar Nextel Cup is the premier racing series in America. Too much money to be made. The only reason this Indy was so widely watched was because of her. What do you think?
EAGLES

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:36 AM

I don't think so. I'd say if she continues on and leaves IRL/CART, she'll go towards F1. I'm not sure if NASCAR is mature enough to handle her. When you got jerks like Robby Gordon complaining that she has an unfair advantage because she is small... I just don't see the rest of the league welcoming her with open arms.

#3 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:44 AM

Shawna Robinson was pretty well received. Sarah Fisher is in the mid-pack of one of the lesser series out west and Richard Childress says he wants her in a Busch car next year. Fisher was the IRL media darling for some time.

#4 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:52 AM

I'm not sure if NASCAR is mature enough to handle her. When you got jerks like Robby Gordon complaining that she has an unfair advantage because she is small... I just don't see the rest of the league welcoming her with open arms.

Cut me a break. Not Mature enough? Obviously not a Nascar fan. Quoting Robbie Gordon as an indicator of Nascar drivers on this issue is like quoting Bill Clinton on the importance of marital fidelity. As Robbie is not well liked or respected by his Nascar piers in the garage, I would venture to say 95% of the drivers would rather race against Danica than Robbie Gordon.
BTW. I'll be watching the action live this Sunday at the Monster Mile
:)
EAGLES

#5 OFFLINE   rdopso

rdopso

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:18 PM

I have been following Danica's career for four years now. There is absolutely no way Danica would consider NASCAR. She won her first championship in Europe some years ago in open-wheel Formula Ford where all the young European F1 hopefuls go and she beat the pants off all those overly aggressive bad boys. Her sights are on F1 and I think she has a great chance of getting there. She is definitely the real deal -- young, attractive, and very, very talented -- everything requred of an F1 piloto.

#6 OFFLINE   kwajr

kwajr

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:27 PM

Cut me a break. Not Mature enough? Obviously not a Nascar fan. Quoting Robbie Gordon as an indicator of Nascar drivers on this issue is like quoting Bill Clinton on the importance of marital fidelity. As Robbie is not well liked or respected by his Nascar piers in the garage, I would venture to say 95% of the drivers would rather race against Danica than Robbie Gordon.
BTW. I'll be watching the action live this Sunday at the Monster Mile
:)

I second that we do not like r gordon here and i live 4 mins from rcr whitch is who he drove for last year

#7 OFFLINE   SAEMike

SAEMike

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:01 PM

If Danica trys to run Cup races, and crashes out everybody to win like she did in the Indy 500, she'll deserve to get her ass kicked, but none of those good ol' boys will do it.

#8 OFFLINE   Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:23 AM

I have been following Danica's career for four years now. There is absolutely no way Danica would consider NASCAR. She won her first championship in Europe some years ago in open-wheel Formula Ford where all the young European F1 hopefuls go and she beat the pants off all those overly aggressive bad boys. Her sights are on F1 and I think she has a great chance of getting there. She is definitely the real deal -- young, attractive, and very, very talented -- everything requred of an F1 piloto.

Except King Bernie has no liking for her - "Danica needs to be wearing white, like the rest of the kitchen appliances" is his latest statment about Ms. Patrick...
If you can read this, you are too close.

#9 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:09 AM

SAEMike...

#1, she didn't win the Indy 500.
#2, she didn't "crash everyone out". She even admitted making a rookie mistake when she DID spin out warming her tires up around turn 4.
#3, name me one driver in NASCAR with multiple wins under his belt who hasn't been accused of crashing people out.

Jeff Gordon? Ask Rusty Wallace what he thinks of him
Tony Stewart? Kasey Kahne has an opinion on him. So does Jeff Gordon.
Junior? Ask Mikey Waltrip for HIS thoughts.
Robby Gordon? Greg Biffle? Heck *any* of the 'young guns' have had fingers pointed at them by the veterans.

(For the record, I'm a Tony Stewart fan)

I think Mark Martin and the Bobby Labonte are the only ones who have a clean rep off the top of my head.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,613 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:00 AM

Racing never appealed to me... and I'm practically from NASCAR country...

BUT I always got the impression one of the major appeals of it was the crashing! On ESPN and the local news, they always show the crash of the week or crash of the day... as long as no one is hurt, everyone seems to love seeing the spinouts or rolls or manglings.

#11 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:10 PM

I think you can best sum it up if you break it down.

Part of the appeal is the *risk* of a bad crash. I mean, seeing all those cars hurtling at 200MPH jockeying for the same piece of real estate - AND SURVIVING is amazing enough..

Then, when something DOES go wrong, seeing how these cars are engineered to allow the driver to walk away from highlight-reel epic crashes (Elliot Sadler's flips at Talledega come to mind) it's simply amazing.

#12 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:02 PM

First thing, and I mean no offense by this but reading your post djlong and seeing your picture...well, I'm still having a hard time with that - you don't fit the stereotype. You sound like you know what you are talking about (except for the Jr. and Mikey comment - mikey is too smart and nice to talk bad about him - he does want to keep his job after all).

I agree with the Robby Gordon comments, too. What a joker!

As for her going to F1, good luck. It's a completely different race. I think her size might actually hurt her more than it will help her (less muscle).
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

#13 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:37 PM

Just a question that popped into my mind. I think there is a good chance she will end up at least taking a shot at some Nascar races just to test the waters. Like it or not Nascar Nextel Cup is the premier racing series in America. Too much money to be made. The only reason this Indy was so widely watched was because of her. What do you think?

And they are using her for ratings. Someone call me when she wins.

#14 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 25 June 2005 - 04:32 AM

First thing, and I mean no offense by this but reading your post djlong and seeing your picture...well, I'm still having a hard time with that - you don't fit the stereotype. You sound like you know what you are talking about (except for the Jr. and Mikey comment - mikey is too smart and nice to talk bad about him - he does want to keep his job after all).

For Mikey, you have to learn "MikeySpeak" and the way he talks on Inside Nextel Cup. A couple of weeks ago, after he was crashed out of the 600 by Jr, you could seeing almost literally biting his tongue. He kept saying things like "I don't know what's going on there". Oh he won't say anything negative (but Tony Eury did!) but when he stops saying nice things, that's as indicative of his feelings as if he WERE cussing Jr out.

#15 OFFLINE   SAEMike

SAEMike

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 03:19 PM

SAEMike...

#1, she didn't win the Indy 500.
#2, she didn't "crash everyone out". She even admitted making a rookie mistake when she DID spin out warming her tires up around turn 4.
#3, name me one driver in NASCAR with multiple wins under his belt who hasn't been accused of crashing people out.

Jeff Gordon? Ask Rusty Wallace what he thinks of him
Tony Stewart? Kasey Kahne has an opinion on him. So does Jeff Gordon.
Junior? Ask Mikey Waltrip for HIS thoughts.
Robby Gordon? Greg Biffle? Heck *any* of the 'young guns' have had fingers pointed at them by the veterans.

(For the record, I'm a Tony Stewart fan)

I think Mark Martin and the Bobby Labonte are the only ones who have a clean rep off the top of my head.

#1. I never said she won, I said she spun them out to win, the fact that she was still unsuccessful is imaterial.

#2. She crashed quite a few people

#3. Name one of those people who someone hasn't tried to kick their ass for crashing people out.

#16 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:24 AM

SAEMike - did you see the same race I saw (admittedly I didn't see the beginning)

Exactly how do you crash "everyone else out" at pace lap speed when you're pretty much the only one damaged (requiring a new front nose and wing)?

#17 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:44 PM

djlong, here is what I was refering to in my post earlier (the stereotype comment).

Attached Files

N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

#18 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:02 PM

djlong, here is what I was refering to in my post earlier (the stereotype comment).

I like Nascar and I look nothing like that guy. I could show you people who look like that at Baseball games.

#19 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:01 PM

I like Nascar and I look nothing like that guy. I could show you people who look like that at Baseball games.

Oh, I love NASCAR, too (and look nothing like this guy). I go to 'dega every chance I get.
N8

#20 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:00 AM

I don't know what's worse.. The picture of that guy or the fact that, based on the sliver of track that's visible, I can tell you exactly where they are and what month of the year (day race versus night race)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...