Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ESPN Drops NHL

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 06:05 AM

According to reports, ESPN declined an option for the right to broadcast NHL games next season. The deadline for the $60 million option is today. The NHL has been hampered by a player lock-out, which forced the cancellation of the 2004-2005 season.

http://www.skyreport.com (Used with permission)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:55 PM

Why pay for the No Hockey League? NHL may have signed it's own death warrant with the lock-out.

#3 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:45 AM

So I guess more poker is on for ESPN. Oh boy :nono2:

#4 OFFLINE   nuts4scuba

nuts4scuba

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:49 AM

So I guess more poker is on for ESPN. Oh boy :nono2:

Yep, and the 1 millionth showing of "3". ;)

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:45 PM

Yep, and the 1 millionth showing of "3". ;)

Lately they are showing old movies like Field of Dreams and Days of Thunder.

Don't get me wrong... I liked those movies... when they are on MOVIE channels... I like sports, but I scratch my head at ESPNU and other new ESPN offshoots, when they are showing movies on their main channels!

#6 OFFLINE   Hoxxx

Hoxxx

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:17 PM

Lately they are showing old movies like Field of Dreams and Days of Thunder.

Don't get me wrong... I liked those movies... when they are on MOVIE channels... I like sports, but I scratch my head at ESPNU and other new ESPN offshoots, when they are showing movies on their main channels!

Kind of reminds me when MTV had music videos.... then they went to all this other who cares programming.

Looks like ESPN is going the way of more Entertainment and less Sports Programming

#7 OFFLINE   anselmo1

anselmo1

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:17 PM

Kind of reminds me when MTV had music videos.... then they went to all this other who cares programming.

Looks like ESPN is going the way of more Entertainment and less Sports Programming

NHL hockey is one of the most boring sports to watch on TV ever since the New Jersey Devils instituted the "trap"!

#8 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 12 June 2005 - 09:14 AM

Yeah and if ESPN goes the way of MTV, the exact same thing will happen as far as i'm concerned, it'll cease to exist. I can't remember the last time my TV was on MTV and you know if someone told me that MTV stopped broadcasting and was shutting down, I wouldn't even notice the difference and I was an MTV junkie before they stopped playing video's in favor of shows. So maybe ESPN should look to find some actual sports to fill the NHL time-slots. Heck I can remember when they used to show Australian Rules Football, a very entertaining game actually and certainly far more preferable to anymore original movies.

#9 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:09 AM

Aussie Rules Football was a blast to watch...Does Fox Sports World show it anymore?

#10 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 04:26 PM

Aussie Rules Football was a blast to watch...Does Fox Sports World show it anymore?

They were showing it for a while there, of course I don't know when Aussie Rules football season runs, so it could be offseason now. Of course I also noticed The Fox Sports World has become Fox Sports Soccer or some such thing, so if they're supposedly becoming an all soccer channel I'd say the chances of them broadcasting Aussie Rules Football not as good anymore.

#11 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:23 AM

Not to hijack the thread or get too far off on a tangent but I remember the old days of MTV. We had it on our cable system back in 1982 when it was purely music videos and commercials were rare. I'll bet I haven't watched 5 minutes of MTV in the last 10 years. I couldn't even tell you which channel it's is on my Dish system or for that matter if we even have it.

ESPN, as other posters mentioned, seems to be taking the same route. We watch a lot of the regional Fox Sports Net broadcasting for teams in our area.

As far as hockey - who cares? I've been to a few Dallas Stars games and it's just too dang expensive. The last time we went our seats cost $115. By the time a family of 4 buys tickets and pays for parking, food, etc you can easily spend $600. Just not worth it in my opinion. :nono2:
My time walkin' the blue globe is sparse. Hopefully, see ya'll on the flipside.

#12 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:59 AM

I've always felt that hockey didn't translate that well to TV anyway. It's a lot better in person. The good news now, is because the over-priced NHL is fading into oblivion, your only option is to go to minor-league games (once the season starts in the fall) which are far more affordable and probably more compelling anyway as you have people who are actually playing for the love of the game and not $$$.

#13 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:01 PM

I've always felt that hockey didn't translate that well to TV anyway. It's a lot better in person. The good news now, is because the over-priced NHL is fading into oblivion, your only option is to go to minor-league games (once the season starts in the fall) which are far more affordable and probably more compelling anyway as you have people who are actually playing for the love of the game and not $$$.

Excellent point. We have a Jr. league hockey team in our town. You can park free, get a good seat, a soda and a hot dog for $12. These are mostly 19 and 20 year olds trying to get college scholarships or onto a semi-pro team. These kids play their hearts out. It's really fun to go watch them. :D
My time walkin' the blue globe is sparse. Hopefully, see ya'll on the flipside.

#14 OFFLINE   Attitude2000

Attitude2000

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:12 PM

Actually, I think they'll show mor college basketball. I read a report saying that's what they did last season and the ratings were even higher.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...