Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Go Spurs! (The NBA finals thread)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:15 PM

Yeah I know, not everyone wants the Spurs to win this year but since I live here, I guess I should show some team spirit. :)

Unless Detroit pulls something out of their butts, it looks like it will be the Spurs vs Heat. Actually since the Spurs have already won twice in the last seven years, I won't be too disappointed if Miami wins. The only problem is that I hate Shaq. :(

So, any bets on who will take the finals this year? San Antonio's defense is pretty strong so they might pull it off. On the other hand, I'm not sure if we have anyone that can fend off Shaq.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:46 PM

Tim Duncan is the man and Ginobli is as almost good as Steve Nash. Since my Mavs got beat I'm pulling hard for the Spurs. Tim is better on a hurt ankle than 99.9% of the other big men in the league. I think in the last decade the Spurs have been one of the elite teams. Too bad David Robinson didn't have a few more years left, then they would have truly been unstoppable.

This year I don't think it matters, either the Pistons or Heat are going down! :D

#3 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:50 PM

Spurs All The Way...baby!!!!...

#4 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:02 PM

Tim Duncan is the man and Ginobli is as almost good as Steve Nash. Since my Mavs got beat I'm pulling hard for the Spurs. Tim is better on a hurt ankle than 99.9% of the other big men in the league. I think in the last decade the Spurs have been one of the elite teams. Too bad David Robinson didn't have a few more years left, then they would have truly been unstoppable.

This year I don't think it matters, either the Pistons or Heat are going down! :D

That's what I was gonna say. Too bad it's not his neighborhood anymore! :( :shrug: He was a really nice guy who could also play really good basketball. :)

I, since I am a "true Texan" (meaning my birth certificate has the state seal with a big "lone" star on it :yesman: ), will be rooting for the team from my home state! :D
Laverne

#5 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 02:24 PM

Many years ago while visiting San Antonio I heard a story on the radio about David Robinson. He sponsored an academic contest in SA schools. Not sure what the details were but it has something to do with grades. A handful of kids throughout the city won and David flew them to Houston for a Spurs/Rockets game and then the kids got to fly home with them on the team plane. Opportunity of a lifetime for the kids who tried. For that reason I've always admired the Admiral.

He was known in his playing days as the gentle giant. His coaches bagged on him sometimes because he didn't play rough enough because he didn't want to hurt anybody.

GO SPURS! :D

#6 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 02:28 PM

Oh yeah, I need to rant. The NBA is full of thugs. Talented athletes no doubt but thugs. If I had grabbed P.J. Carlissimo by the neck and tried to choke him to death I'd be in jail. Instead Spreewell gets traded to another team and makes millions. :nono:

GO SPURS!

#7 OFFLINE   elbyj

elbyj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 04:07 PM

Chris == totally agree -- long time supporter of the SPURS. We go back to the Hemisphere Arena. Really feel good about the SPURS taking another championship this year. Would like to see Pop start playing Robinson, Rascho, and Devin in the next round. They probably should since neither the Heat or Pistons are running teams like the Suns. GO SPURS GO!!!!!

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 June 2005 - 03:18 AM

I was rooting for 7 games in the Suns/Spurs series... Since I'm in NC, and don't yet have a "real" team to root for in the playoffs... I loved watching good games, and can't think of anything bad to say about either San Antonio or Phoenix from the coach to the players.

Everybody played hard, and even though San Antonio won 4-1, all the games were close so it wasn't like they blew the Suns out of the building... a couple of baskets the other way and it could have gone 7.

Since San Antonio has won a couple in recent years, I would not have felt bad at all to see Phoenix in the finals.

On the other side... I've been rooting against Detroit for a couple of years now, since they fired Carlisle (who "only" won 50+ games for 2 straight years) to get Larry Brown in... so I hated seeing the team/city rewarded for firing a good coach by getting an instant championship last year.

Also, I really have no reason to dislike Shaq, on or off the court... so once Indiana was beaten it became an easy choice to root for Miami.

IF Detroit wins the series, GO SPURS! :)

IF Miami wins... then it will be harder... because I like Miami this year, and aside from Shaq it would be all new to win the whole deal for the rest of the team... PLUS the bonus slap in the face to the Lakers for dealing Shaq away and keeping Kobe last year... so I can't help but root for Miami, but again would love to see 7 games of San Antonio vs Miami!

If it is San Antonio vs Detroit... I'd love equally to see 4-0 sweep by the Spurs!

#9 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 06:38 AM

Game seven in the Eastern conference is tonight. Should be a good game. I really think Miami will win. Best of luck to them.

Chris == totally agree -- long time supporter of the SPURS. We go back to the Hemisphere Arena. Really feel good about the SPURS taking another championship this year. Would like to see Pop start playing Robinson, Rascho, and Devin in the next round. They probably should since neither the Heat or Pistons are running teams like the Suns. GO SPURS GO!!!!!

Did you get your "Western Conference Champions" locker room shirt yet? Got mine this weekend. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• spursshirt.JPG

#10 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:24 AM

.......Everybody played hard, and even though San Antonio won 4-1, all the games were close so it wasn't like they blew the Suns out of the building... a couple of baskets the other way and it could have gone 7..........

Maybe they didn't blow them out but they beat the team with best record and the highest scoring team in 5 games rather soundly. The Spurs can beat you with defense or they can put 115 points on the board. After watching Miami get stroked Saturday night I've come to the conclusion both Detroit and Miami are just to inconsistent.

GO SPURS! :hurah:

#11 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:04 PM

Well blow me down! I guess ignore my first post. It looks like Detroit still has some fire left.

Spurs vs Pistons. Bring em on! :up_to_som

#12 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:22 PM

I was watching The Ring :eek:.

What happened, Chris? :confused: Give us the highlights. :grin:

(I GOTTA get me a PVR!!! :()
Laverne

#13 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 08:06 AM

The highlights are that the Pistons squeaked by in a sorta low scoring game. Now they are cowering down in the corner, shaking in their shoes while they await the juggernaut Spurs. Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace are sitting in their mama's laps sucking their thumbs right now.

I heard crow doesn't taste very good. I hope I don't have to find out. :D

Seriously - congrats to Larry Brown. A beleaguered coach who proved is detractors wrong.

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 June 2005 - 09:48 PM

Maybe they didn't blow them out but they beat the team with best record and the highest scoring team in 5 games rather soundly. The Spurs can beat you with defense or they can put 115 points on the board. After watching Miami get stroked Saturday night I've come to the conclusion both Detroit and Miami are just to inconsistent.

GO SPURS! :hurah:

I hope no one mistook my earlier statement about the Spurs vs Suns series... I was basically just trying to say that even though the series was 4-1, it wasn't a blowout margin. I feel the teams were pretty evenly matched...

BUT... I think it was very clear in watching the series that the Spurs were clearly the better team, and that's why they won all those close games. No fluke can win you best out of 7 in a series and no fluke could win 4-1... Spurs were clearly the better team... but I didn't want any Suns fans to think I was slamming them.

As for the finals now...

I hated Miami lost to Detroit... but it makes it much easier for me... now I can root entirely for the Spurs and hope for a 4-0 sweep even! if it were vs Miami, I would want to see 7 games.

#15 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:02 AM

Dang! What happened to Detroit last night? It was a complete meltdown.

Manu Ginobili seems almost unstoppable. Go Spurs!

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:55 AM

I believe what has happened is... San Antonio is every bit as good defensively as Detroit is, BUT San Antonio is a much better offensive team than Detroit is.

So defensively they are like mirror images, but San Antonio has a much better chance to overcome the defenseive pressure.

I believe last year we were cheated out of a San Antonio vs Detroit final when San Antonio had a bit of collapse against the Lakers who subsequently were run out of the building by Detroit. This year, however, we are seeing what probably would have happened last year if San Antonio had been at the finals.

Duncan is hard to stop unless you have Shaq for instance... but the big difference this series is Ginobli who can make his own plays and shots even if nothing else is working... Thus far, Detroit hasn't had a player who can similarly "go off" when things are going badly for them.

#17 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:11 AM

I believe what has happened is... San Antonio is every bit as good defensively as Detroit is, BUT San Antonio is a much better offensive team than Detroit is..........

Bingo!

The Spurs have been THE most consistent team since about last April. And what about Robert Horry. Has that guy had a spectacular career or what? He's relatively old, but he can steal, rebound, block shots and burn you with the three pointer.

Detroit's not out of it yet but it's going to take a miracle. :D
My time walkin' the blue globe is sparse. Hopefully, see ya'll on the flipside.

#18 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:22 AM

Well, I guess this whole thing gives me an excuse to finally take a trip out to the SBC Center tomorrow night and watch the game on the big screens. I've never been out there before. Of course, free admission and food is always a good thing. :)

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:24 AM

Robert Horry is pretty amazing... I've watched him since he was with the Rockets way back when... and though his age is slowing him down a bit, he still goes at it with 100% of what he has...

And I can guarantee you that any time he is standing alone and gets the ball, there isn't anyone on either team or in the building that doesn't think that shot is going in... especially if it is a potential game-ending one!

#20 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:11 PM

Just got back from the SBC center tonight. Even though the Spurs are playing in Detroit, fans in San Antonio can watch the game on the HD screens. It was really a fun time! Snapped a couple of pictures for your viewing pleasure. The place was almost completely full.

Attached Thumbnails

• outside.JPG
  • inside-1.JPG
  • inside-2.JPG

Protected By... spam firewall...And...