Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sony and Toshiba fail to reach agreement on unified next-gen disc format

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:48 PM

http://www.gamesindu...ge.php?aid=9617
3 HR23-700,1 R22-100, 2 AM21, 5LNB Slimline dish PREMIER NFL SUNDAY TICKET

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:44 PM

VHS vs. Beta.
Digital Audio Tape vs. Digital Compact Cassette
SACD vs. DVD-Audio.

All failures because the greedy f-ers couldn't agree on a united format.

Oh well, the good news is that all you DVD rippers will be able to continue unabated for a few more years now until someone gets sick of losing millions and gives up. The HD DVD/BluRay will be stillborn at launch unless Sony can convince people that 20 million PS3 owners gives them a leg up (although most of those units won't be used for watching movies on anything other than SD TVs if I'm guessing correctly).
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:56 PM

The whole industry will just suffer a year or so until the unified CD/DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray universal players come out. At least it is not like VHS/Beta where the media is a different size. In the long run it will probably add a buck or 2 to the price of the players to accomodate both formats.

#4 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,437 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:06 AM

My guess is that Blu-Ray will emerge as the winner. Looking at the membership of the two camps, Blu-Ray has more heavyweights on its side. HD-DVD doesn't have an awful lot going for it, despite having Warner, Paramount and Universal movie studios supporting that format. The biggest argument in favor of HD-DVD is that disks for that format can be made on present day manufacturing lines with "minor modifications".
Time will tell.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#5 OFFLINE   BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:47 PM

At first i was so Gun ho about Blu-ray now i just want one to win. I know they wont and i will buy what ever comes first.
3 HR23-700,1 R22-100, 2 AM21, 5LNB Slimline dish PREMIER NFL SUNDAY TICKET

#6 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:14 PM

Sony controls about 55% of the films ever made. A huge boost to Blu-Ray. It will be hard for HD-DVD to compete on content alone toshiba does not control any content, and the studios in the HD-DVD camp will find it hard to resist releasing films in Blu-Ray if they think they are missing out on sales.

HD-DVD would never have been adopted by the DVD steering group if it had not been for a manipulation of the voting rules to allow it to pass.

#7 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:38 AM

I heard the number was closer to 18%. Still formidable but not impossible to overcome. In my mind they are 0-4 though when setting industry standards....... Beta? bust. Their version of the CD? Bust... Phillips got "red book" approved. DAT and Digital Compact cassette? Bust bust. Their version of DVD. Uh uh. Toshiba and Warner Bros. got their version through.

SACD? Not dead yet, but with a smaller penetration than laserdisc in its heyday.

We'll see. I like their system better as it holds more, but I want a machine that is backwards compatible with all of my current DVDs, which the HD DVD is supposedly better able to do......
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

spam firewall