Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Dish 301 receiver for $49 plus $14.95 shipping

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ug_*

Guest_ug_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2002 - 06:50 AM

I talked with a CSR from Dish last night and was offered a 301 receiver for $49.00 plus 14.95 shipping last night.
She said that she would leave the offer open to me until Monday if I decide that I want the receiver. She said that there would be no committment of any kind and that the receiver didn't even have to be activated. She said that I could activate it whenever I chose to activate or I could keep it in the closet on a shelf for a spare if I chose to do so.
She said that the receiver would come with the access card inside and I could do whatever I wanted to do with it.

Is that a good deal for an existing sub. or is there other places that offer the 301 for discounted prices also. I know that the regular price for the 301 is $99.00.

Is the 301 a good receiver. Is it sound or does it have alot of bugs like other dish receivers. Is the guide on that receiver any faster that the 4900 upgraded versions

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 07:33 AM

wow! that is a excellent deal! Jump on it!!! It's a rock solid receiver..

#3 OFFLINE   RJS1111111

RJS1111111

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 08:18 AM

Originally posted by ug
Is the guide on that receiver any faster that the 4900 upgraded versions

From what I've heard so far, the 301 has the same 48-hour guide as the legacy receivers, and no extra memory to store it. So, browsing the guide requires a great deal of patience to wait for each portion to come down from the satellite again. I still think there should at least be a flash RAM option to store this guide.

This is the main reason I'm not that interested in a 301. I'm much more interested in the 501, 721, and future 921, which have the seven-day guide, and a hard disk to store it.

Also, I want a receiver that can handle cascaded switches, to allow seamless reception from all four DISH slots (61.5, 110, 119, 148).

It doesn't have to be a PVR. I'd settle for these upgrades in a basic receiver for under $100.

#4 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 08:25 AM

In the past weeks I have only seen the 301 for as cheap as a $99-$110. So $49 is the best deal out there. If you are interested in a new reciever than I would go for one.

My questions is were you calling to get a new reciever or were you just calling about something else and they offered it to you. IMHO I would pay the $50 to keep it as a spare (or take my older recievers and make that a spare).
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#5 OFFLINE   toomuchtv

toomuchtv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 09:19 AM

I called the other day to check price & "deals" & was offered $99 + s/h. No better deal was offered, and believe me, I asked. They wouldn't even eat the s/h. I'm gonna try them again.

#6 Guest_ug_*

Guest_ug_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2002 - 10:06 AM

gcutler
I called the other night and was disgusted with the guide capabilities of the 4900 upgraded version. We talked awhile and I expressed my discontent with the guide.
I told the guy that I don't see why DISH , knowing that the 4700 version had limited memory would even add the interactive content to the receiver when they knew it would only limit that receiver that much more to add anything else.

I told them all I wanted was a receiver that worked, where the guide worked like it was supposed to. Where I could advance at least 8 - 10 hours in advance without those damn "searching for satellite information" interuptions.

He then offered me the 301 receiver which the offer would last thru that call only. I asked if he could extend the offer for a few days. He did not want to extend the offer.

Last night I called back and was going to pay my bill. I asked the CSR out of curiosity only , if she could offer the same thing or would that be possible.

She checked to see if she could and came back and said No, she couldn't . We talked some more about problems and issues with the guide and receiver problems...... she stood firm for quite a little time.
After a little talking (not begging or pleading) just talking about the in-efficiency of the 4900 upgraded receivers. she did offer me the 301 for $49 and said that because I was such a nice guy that she would extend that offer thru Monday 7/8.

I know that the 301 has the same guide as the 4900 upgraded versions and that it probably won't get much better.
But it gives me the opportunity to get another receiver for my daughters room or to put away as a spare or whatever.

I told her that I would think it over and let them know by Monday. I know that the way I feel about the DISH guide that the only thing that dish does have that would alleviate the problems with the guide is the 501.
Maybe a need for a pvr is in the future . Maybe NOT!

#7 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 10:25 AM

The guide on the 4900 is the same guide that is on the 301. Think of the 301 as a 3900 that has been shrunk down into a smaller case.

Thats about the only difference between the two.

#8 OFFLINE   HTguy

HTguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 10:53 AM

Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
The guide on the 4900 is the same guide that is on the 301. Think of the 301 as a 3900 that has been shrunk down into a smaller case.

Thats about the only difference between the two.

Well, the 301 has the timer & IR blast feature for VCRs which the 3900 lacks. And of course, it supports DishPro hardware w/o the need for an adaptor.

But it doesn't come with a UHF RC like the 4900 altho it can be upgraded w/the UHF kit for a total cost that is still less than the 4900 was.
:cool:
"A DISH IN EVERY HOME"

#9 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 11:07 AM

Ahh cool, I missed those things when I was looking at the specs. :)

#10 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 12:49 PM

I once wrote a letter to Dish asking that they make a reciever like the 4700 but remove the UHF and DD and charge less , or the 3800 with Event Timer and charge a little more. To my pleasant suprise the 301 came out and was cheaper. Of course I didn't buy the 301 until my 4000's remote died and realized no 3rd party remote support. That finally made me jump to 301. But of course all the talk was about the 501. I guess the 301 with such little talk about it is a good thing :D
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#11 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 01:52 PM

Also the 301 vs. the 4900 has a faster processor, I beleive a 32 bit processor I heard Charlie and Co. say. It changes channels and does menu functions faster.

#12 OFFLINE   snagel

snagel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 02:12 PM

The 4900 does have a 32 bit processor also.

#13 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 02:21 PM

The 301 is also a dishpro receiver, meaning that it will utilize the new dishpro switches and lnbs when they come out... Only the 501 and 721 currently have this functionality.

I had a 301, and it was a great bedroom reciever!
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#14 OFFLINE   snagel

snagel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 02:25 PM

The part that I don't understand is why DISH would add the interactive features knowing full well that the 4700/4900 upgrade receivers would be taxed to the hilt.

I'd personally much rather have a receiver that is fast functioning, where the guide is instant or nearing that quality and not have the interactive features at all if that was going to compromise the guide data.

When I had DTV with standard RCA receivers and one that was a step or two higher their receivers were alot faster in every function. They would search out 16 - 24 hours in time without even having to stop to acquire information even once. The information of each show was instant.

And they even had search capabilities to boot.

Dish has somewhat fixed the problem that will show information about each show, the information about each show is pretty fast.
But
I wish they would fix their guide NOW. so that you could go out 10 - 12 hours at least without receiving the requiring satellite information banner.

Just an observation.

#15 OFFLINE   DishDude1

DishDude1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 04:04 PM

The 301 is NOT going to fix your guide problem. A 501 which stores the guide on the hard drive will. With the 301 you still can only go out about 3 hours on the guide before you get the searching for guide info screen.

#16 OFFLINE   DRJDAN

DRJDAN

Legend/Supporter

• Registered
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 06:46 PM

In Dallas, Costco has the 301 for $87 in the store.

#17 OFFLINE   dlsnyder

dlsnyder

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 09:57 AM

There should also be a "401" that includes a Dolby Digital decoder. The 301 and 501 have their place but there should also be a mid-range unit for those who do not want/need PVR functionality. Although that may be the reason there isn't a "401" - E* trying to push the marketplace toward PVR technology.

I have been thinking about getting a 301 though mainly for the timers. I would then use my 2800 as a travel spare (we often visit a relative out of town who has only OTA!)

#18 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 02:15 PM

You're lucky if you get 3 hours of programming on your guide. On my 3900, only 2 shows (no matter what length) for each channel appear and the rest says "Info Not Available", which takes about 45-60 seconds to disappear. It's really annoying.

spam firewall