Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

anyone else drop programming from dish since sky angel added channels??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   drfreeman

drfreeman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 07:14 PM

The main reason I had top 180 was hallmark.
so it on sky angel now so i thought...why not drop to top 120
i call dish...they did not even ask why i wanted to drop..
just wanted to make sure i knew they were gonna charge me $5
bucks to drop...
so i got mad and said fine drop me to top 60....
the guy did not argue one bit,just said fine and switched it!....
i did not intend to drop down to top 60,but since fox news is on sky angel
i felt...lets do it.
i will miss some channels but truth be told,we watch to much t.v. anywho!
and you may ask so how much less will I be paying???
22 DOLLARS LESS!!!!!! per month from 70.00 to 48.00 .
makes me think what a dope i was paying that much in the first place!

THANKS SKY ANGEL!!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 08:27 PM

I do not think there is enough compelling content to drop Dish Network package altogether just yet in favor for Sky Angel unless your on a real strict budget.

If you order the Sky Angel package but do not have a satellite pointed at 61.5 can you still receive those channels that are at the 110/119 location (are they mirrored from 110/110 to 61.5)? Or do you have to actually point a dish at 61.5 to receive those stations? This could be a good alternative to those not wanting to pay the $20 price tag for just the Hallmark and Hallmark Movie Package. You would save $8+tax.

#3 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 09:44 PM

These are Sky Angel channels and have nothing to do with Dish, so yes you have to have a dish pointed at 61.5 to get any Sky Angel channels including the Hallmarks, Fox News and the incoming HGTV. To get them at 110/119 you have to subscribe to Dish and to get them from 101, you have to subscribe to DirecTV and have a receiver capable of decoding that signal.

People seem to forget that Sky Angel and Dish are separate companies that share a platform and nothing more.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#4 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:00 PM

If picture quality ("PQ") is important to you than you better keep your E* subscription

THose of you who sub to both SA & E* top-120 or higher, do an A/B compairison of FOX News Channel. Pay special attention to the crawl at the bottom of the screen. On SA there is a "jitter" in the crawl and the picture in general looks more washed out. This is due to the higher compression that SA has to use in order to squeeze out 30+ channels on only 2 transponders. It's almost as bad as watching streaming video on your PC.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#5 OFFLINE   JeffH

JeffH

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 06:52 PM

If picture quality ("PQ") is important to you than you better keep your E* subscription

THose of you who sub to both SA & E* top-120 or higher, do an A/B compairison of FOX News Channel. Pay special attention to the crawl at the bottom of the screen. On SA there is a "jitter" in the crawl and the picture in general looks more washed out. This is due to the higher compression that SA has to use in order to squeeze out 30+ channels on only 2 transponders. It's almost as bad as watching streaming video on your PC.

As long as I can read the crawl and everything else on the screen, the picture quality is just fine with me and I'm sure with many other people as well.

Jeff

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,318 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:51 PM

SkyAngel's bandwidth use isn't worse than E*'s. 10 video and 16 audio channels on a transponder isn't worse than E* does with up to 12 video channels. The difference being that when E* spots a problem they can shift channels around and mix high motion channels with low motion channels at a better ratio. SkyAngel only has two transponders to shift between. They have done a couple of swaps in the past - but are very restricted.

JL

#7 OFFLINE   hankh

hankh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:20 AM

I know of one case in which a family dropped cable, and the $60/month rate they were paying, and subscribing to SA and Dish locals, for a combined rate of less than $20/month.
Moreover, they are far more satisfied with the quality of content than they were with the cable company, to whom they subscribed for the past 25 years.

I had picked up SA 5 years ago and Dish locals and have not regretted that move. Although an additional $5.99 per month is no great bonanza, no pun intended, it is $5.99 more than Charlie had before!

I have seen more interest in SA since they have added these "secular" channels. It is unfortunate that the language and scenes do not necessarily reflect my attitudes or desires, neither do the opinions promoted by some preachers, as doctrine. Therefore, I have resolved to use dicernment in everything that I watch.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...