Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A good IP searching tool?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:25 AM

Anyone know of a good tool to reverse search IP addresses? I was looking at some of the stats for my webpage and was wondering where all the traffic is coming from (future employers I hope!).

I used this and a few others.
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:35 AM

From what I have learned, IP addresses are overseen by five regional organizations: ARIN (Canada, US, parts of the Caribbean and Atlantic), LACNIC (Mexico, Central and South America), RIPE (Europe, Middle East and parts of Central Asia) and APNIC (Asia and Pacific) and afriNIC (Africa).

Use the "Whois" search buttons from each of the linked sites above to determine which ISP operates the IP address you're researching. Each IP listing, or search result, is supposed to have contact names for the ISP, e-mail addresses and sometimes phone numbers. You'll also find that important abuse notification contact for where to report SPAM and other nefarious Internet activities. However, to use these five services, you first need to know from which part of the world the IP address is registered. Pick the wrong one, however, and it is supposed to tell you if it belongs to one of the other four organizations.

However, the easiest way I have found to track down IP addresses is to use the free SpamCOP.net services. There, you post the header information from e-mail, and they tell you from where it came.

#3 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:09 AM

Ic ould not figure out how to use that site. It seemed to b ea pay site as well.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#4 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:53 AM

Go to networksolutions.com and click on the link called "whois" that is on the top of the page. That will give us who owns an IP address. For example if you type 68.39.35.63, it will say that is a Comcast address most likely a cable user.

#5 OFFLINE   CoriBright

CoriBright

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:11 PM

www.dslreports.com/whois

If it's an overseas registration, it will tell you where to go to get more details.
Cari
www.coribright.com
www.juganet.com
www.jaredletochat.com
www.doausa.com

#6 Guest_poganinja_*

Guest_poganinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:28 AM

Hi are you looking for some other alternative tool to do ip lookup then have a look at sites like Whoisxy.com here they render whois search tool using which you can get details about particular ip address like ip owner name ,location ,address and so on .....

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:36 AM

If you have access to a Linux, or other Unix type, box you can use either "dig -x" or "host", both followed by the IP, to do reverse lookups to determine domain name.  If you want to know who owns the IP you can use "whois -a" followed by the IP.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

8 year old thread.....

spam firewall