Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

301 Program Guide

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Donger

Donger

Mentor

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 05:27 PM

Hi All:

How many days of the program guide can the 301 handle? My parents turn off their 301 every night but only get about 2 hours into the future before they get "Downloading from satellite"

Any help would be great!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Keith S

Keith S

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 05:30 PM

All that the 301 can handle is a few hours.
Thank you for reading.

#3 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 06:11 PM

The non-PVR guides of which the 301 is can go as far as 42 (or is it 46?) hours into the future, but it can only read a few hours at a time, it does not keep it im memory or on the hard drive like the PVRs. So if you want to looks at what is on channel XYZ for the next 2 days, you will spend quite a bit waiting as you look into the future (Go 3-4 hours into the future, wait 30 seconds for download, go another 3-4 hours into the future, wait another 30 seconds for download, YMMV)
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#4 OFFLINE   Donger

Donger

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 07:18 PM

all:

Thanks for the responses. I'll let the folks know that they get no multiday EPG downloads. Thanks again!

#5 OFFLINE   chessmaster1010

chessmaster1010

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 July 2002 - 04:40 PM

You can skip ahead to any period within the next 44 hours by using the number keys to enter the number of hours to skip and then hitting the right arrow key (same as browse).

That way you only have to wait for the listings to download once.

#6 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 05 July 2002 - 07:53 PM

How come can directv have receivers made that can go into the guide a week at a time without downloading yet dish cant unless it is hard drive based? Can this be fixed with a software upgrade?

#7 OFFLINE   MediaMills

MediaMills

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 July 2002 - 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Jacob S
How come can directv have receivers made that can go into the guide a week at a time without downloading yet dish cant unless it is hard drive based? Can this be fixed with a software upgrade?

No. The receivers don't have enough memory.
This wasn't a problem until Must Carry added some 300+ stations to the EPG, then it wasn't worth a crap to an older receiver with limited memory.
Mediamills :hi:
spam@prmills.com (yes, it works!)

The problem with people today can be narrowed to two things:
1) Nobody pays attention
2) Nobody takes responsibility

#8 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,840 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 July 2002 - 11:25 PM

I'm surprised that they didn't put in a discard function to discard useless program information.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#9 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 01:35 PM

I don't believe that must carry created the problem. The data is not downloaded to the receiver unless it is subscribed to. I've noticed the guide is reset when changing Distant Net DMAs. I doubt that the data for every single channel exists on the receiver. If that was the case, I would think they would appear as an unsubscribed channel listed in red. The EPG has ALWAYS been just better than pathetic.

#10 OFFLINE   MediaMills

MediaMills

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 04:52 PM

Originally posted by MikeW
I don't believe that must carry created the problem. The data is not downloaded to the receiver unless it is subscribed to. I've noticed the guide is reset when changing Distant Net DMAs. I doubt that the data for every single channel exists on the receiver. If that was the case, I would think they would appear as an unsubscribed channel listed in red. The EPG has ALWAYS been just better than pathetic.

Maybe so, but you have to think of it like a baggage claim at the airport. You're looking for one bag, but you still have to wait for everyone elses bag from the plane to go by until your bag shows up. You only take your bag but you had to wait for all the others.

Because everyone gets the 44hr guide from the same place on 119, Dish has to upload the entire guide in a cycle. I may only need the Dallas locals, but I have to "stand there" and watch everyone elses locals go by before I can get mine.

I may be totally wrong. This is just my logic talking...I don't know any other way they could do it.
Mediamills :hi:
spam@prmills.com (yes, it works!)

The problem with people today can be narrowed to two things:
1) Nobody pays attention
2) Nobody takes responsibility

#11 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 08:44 PM

You're probably right about how long it takes to download. I was referring to how much memory is taken up for the guide. It doesn't seem to me that the entire guide is stored on the receiver in my house (talking all the locals and must carry additions). Seems I didn't have a whole lot of memory before must carry and I remember, since day 1 having to wait too long for the guide. I've got one receiver hooked up to a SA Tivo and find that's the only way to search for what's on the dish. Programming on TIVO is usually 10-14 days out without waiting.

spam firewall