Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bug Report L215 - Stuck Aspect Ratio

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

Gaming Guru and Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:39 PM

My 921 had L213 when I got home. I did a soft reboot and L215 loaded.

921 launched 9:00pm timer on FX for Rescue Me. We were watching a previously recorded program (Teen Titans on Cartoon Network). I started Rescue Me after about 20 minutes of record time.

Rescue Me is letterboxed, so I changed the ratio on my 921 to Zoom to fill my Panasonic 34" widescreen. After Rescue Me is over, I watched some of Letterman & Leno OTA. I then changed to a satellite channel and tried to change aspect to normal but it does not respond to the remote.

Soft reboot solved the bug.

Boot: 140B
Flash: F052
Software: L215 HECD-N

BTW, I have had the stuck aspect ratio bug before L215. It happens at least once a week. A soft reboot solves the problem.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:44 PM

Yep, one of my receiver got the stuck aspect too. I couldn't do a reboot because another program is recording. I was watching a regular SD satellite channel and it stretched all on it's own with out anyone doing anything. I don't think that this problem was fixed with L215.

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:21 AM

Ah, ****...

I wish to God I knew how you guys triggered this again...I literally tried for hours to break this under the betas, and never succeeded...
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#4 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:21 AM

Here we go again.....

#5 OFFLINE   igleaner

igleaner

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:24 AM

Actually, the aspect ratio problem is even more serious than you think.

Previously, I had a long macro to change the setup display under Menu 6-9 when switching form HD to SD and visa versa. It was necessary to switch the HD/SD setting because SD shows look clearer on S video output, while HD shows need the DVI output. Now, apparently the macro has to be rewritten because 215 does not respond exactly like 213 did in the order of making selections on the setup screen. However, this is only a minor nuisance.

The real problem lies in the aspect ratios themselves. Before, when using 480i and a 4:3 Type #2 display to watch a 4:3 formatted SD show, you could select the Normal aspect ratio to fill the entire width of the widescreen. Then you could use the TV's superior stretch mode to prevent widening in the center of the screen so everyone did not look like Danny Devito.

Now, with 215, when you select 480i and either 4:3 Types 1 or 2 and select Normal, you see a 4:3 format with bars on the sides. Then the only way to fill the 16:9 screen is to select Stretch, which distorts horizontally across the entire screen, rendering the TVs stretch modes worthless.

And, in 480i mode, the top and bottom of the image is always cut off regardless of the aspect ratio chosen. You notice this most on CNN, where the crawlers are totally gone. You can only see them if you switch to an HD mode. Unfortunately, because SD programming has a better image when using 480i and S video output, I'm stuck with the screen cut off problem for most of my viewing.

So, unless you're willing to watch SD shows with bars on the sides, the only way to fill the widescreen is by stretching horizontally making everyone look fat! And, unless you're willing to watch SD shows on a less than stellar HD DVI output, the top and bottom of your image will always be lost.

I definitely preferred the older formats, which let me choose the TV's aspect ratios and preserved the physical appearance of images in the center of the screen without loosing the CNN crawlers.

#6 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

Gaming Guru and Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:12 AM

Ah, ****...

I wish to God I knew how you guys triggered this again...I literally tried for hours to break this under the betas, and never succeeded...

I am always in 1080i. This is the 1st time I have ever been stuck in Zoom. Previously I would have stuck ratio problems in Stretch.

#7 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:23 AM

Ah, ****...

Mark, earlier I had been playing with the closed captioning as I sometimes have difficulty in hearing. Empire was recording off of an OTA channel. Otherwise I can't think of anything that would trigger the stretch & stick.

#8 OFFLINE   gboot

gboot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:53 AM

playing with the closed captioning

I don't think it's that. I've never ever tried closed captioning and I get stuck on occasion with 213.

#9 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:26 PM

When I switched from OTA to Fox news channel 205, the aspect ratio got stuck. Now, it gets stuck in strech mode even though the banner reads zoom mode. Can't dish network ever get this product fixed? I've already had to reboot twice tonight. I have a plasma, and cannot leave it in strech with the crawl on the bottom for long periods of time due to risk of screen burn. At this point, Dish should just replace all 921s with 942s. We've all waiting long enough, promise after promise of a fix not kept. Why is this so hard to get right?

#10 OFFLINE   Rodney

Rodney

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:19 AM

Sounds as if E* needs to incorporate (I know, to some degree we are already) all the 921 owners of this forum into their beta testing program. It appears we are quite adept at finding software glitches that were not evident to the existing beta group.

OOps, forgot to mention that my aspect ratio is stuck also.

#11 OFFLINE   bloom

bloom

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:51 AM

Ah, ****...

My aspect ratios were stuck last night. I couldn't change aspect, nor could I shift from HD to SD. Only a hard reboot fixed the problem.

This is brand new, and had never happened before 215.

#12 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:25 AM

Sounds as if E* needs to incorporate (I know, to some degree we are already) all the 921 owners of this forum into their beta testing program. It appears we are quite adept at finding software glitches that were not evident to the existing beta group.

They did! all 10,000 of us. Read what Mark posted. We are the secodary beta group,( NOT under NDA. :)

Any who aren't on L215 now probably are in what I would call the control group. :)

#13 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:31 PM

Just for the record. Stuck aspect here also. Although it's not as bad now as it stays suck in lettterbox mode instead of stretching like it used to with L213. (4x3 set here)
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#14 OFFLINE   rdopso

rdopso

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:14 PM

I have had no stuck aspect ratio problems with either 213 or 215. I leave my 921 in HD and 1080i all the time and change the aspect ratio as needed with the remote.

#15 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:17 PM

I do the same thing, but always get the stuck aspect ratio.

#16 OFFLINE   UT_Texan

UT_Texan

Mentor/Supporter

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:11 PM

Ditto Jal,
Hook'em Horns!
2-622 1-510 1-508
Sony 60in SXRD
Sony 50in SXRD

#17 OFFLINE   richardlazar

richardlazar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:20 PM

Stuck aspect. I was watching an OTA HD broadcast and just changed channels to GOLF and it was in stretch mode. I had been watching CNN earlier and it was fine. Nothing triggered it, in fact it has happened 3 times since I received 215.

I also got a frozen remote twice that I never got before. I wait a minute or two and the remote responds again.

#18 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:40 PM

Stuck aspect. I was watching an OTA HD broadcast and just changed channels to GOLF and it was in stretch mode. I had been watching CNN earlier and it was fine. Nothing triggered it, in fact it has happened 3 times since I received 215.

I also got a frozen remote twice that I never got before. I wait a minute or two and the remote responds again.

Frozen remote and stuck aspect where symptoms of the same problem in my experience. Unlike you, I, so far, have not had cases since l215. I guess we will have to see over time if this is happening more or less then in the past.

In all cases in the past a forced reboot was the only solution. I usually did I power button reboot. Only occasionally had to do a unplug, wait a minute, plug in.

WARNING: NEVER DO A CARD REBOOT!!! You can destroy the card or the reader.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#19 OFFLINE   conner65

conner65

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:07 AM

I got the stuck aspect ratio when I was watching Voom Monsters and switched to a PVR recorded show on NBC taped from Dish 480i locals. Soft reboot fixed problem.
GO FALCONS!
directtv Genie

#20 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 03 July 2005 - 06:21 AM

I can't help much, as I hardly ever watch any SD, but I have experienced the stuck aspect a few times. I always leave mine in 720p, DVI output, and almost always Normal Aspect, although I will sometimes toggle through the modes.

I haven't come across it in 215 yet.
-Chris
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...