Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OTA digitals EPG question for SFBay Area L215 users

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   keitheva

keitheva

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:04 PM

I subscribe to Dish locals. With L215 I am now thinking of unsubscribing. But I do not want to do that if I will lose OTA digital EPG data. Can those of you in the SFBay Area with OTA digitals who do *not* subscribe to Dish locals please respond to this post and advise what the status of your OTA EPG data is for each OTA digital station you receive.

Could someone also answer another related question: is the 921 now getting it's OTA digital EPG data *only* from OTA digital broadcast PSIP info, or is it also still using the Dish local information to fill this in?

Thanks in advance,
-Keith

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   paulcdavis

paulcdavis

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:26 AM

I don't think the 921 uses PSIP guide infomation at all. If a DMA has dish locals, the 921 maps the local guide data to the OTA stations. This causes some errors since some OTA stations use sub-channels that have different programming. The 921 sometimes maps the guide data to the .2 sub-channel even it the .1 sub-channel is the main HD broadcast.

I subscribe to San Francisco locals, but am only able to receive Sacramento OTA stations due to topography. Before L215 I had no guide data for the Sacramento OTA stations, but now I have 9 day EPG for them, even though I do not (and legally cannot) subscribe to Sacramento locals.
Vip 622 activated: 5/28/07
Dish 1000-1
SW: L405 RB6D-N 5/28/07
HW: RBGD-N Bootstrap 1711 RB6D

#3 OFFLINE   keitheva

keitheva

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:09 AM

KQED-HD OTA in SF has 5 subchannels. With L215 all 5 of these subchannels are showing the correct EPG data. Where is this data coming from?

Cheers,
-Keith

#4 OFFLINE   langlin

langlin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 01:28 PM

KQED-HD OTA in SF has 5 subchannels. With L215 all 5 of these subchannels are showing the correct EPG data. Where is this data coming from?

Cheers,
-Keith

Keith, do I understand you correctly that you have Guide data remapped to the five different subchannels of KQED OTA and they are different schedules and match the program being transmitted?
Sending pictures through the air is impossible, Television will never work!

Leon
Dish VIP722K
SW L6.62 Sat 1000 and 500 61.5/110/119/129
AbsoluteHD
Monitor Toshiba TW65x81 Component and Samsung HL-T7288W
Other Dish VIP612 SW L6.09

#5 OFFLINE   keitheva

keitheva

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:03 PM

Keith, do I understand you correctly that you have Guide data remapped to the five different subchannels of KQED OTA and they are different schedules and match the program being transmitted?

Exactly!

#6 OFFLINE   phongluu

phongluu

Mentor

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:11 PM

Hey Keith,
Have you read this thread? In DonLandis comments, he explains it.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=43527

***quote,

"Well, I'll say this now openly but I had serious plans to file a formal complaint with the FCC on Dish's plan to sell the OTA guide data to 921 owners. IMO, this actually is a violation of the recent PSIP regulation that requires PSIP data to be present after 2/1/05 on any OTA ATSC signal. I won't go into details here but my position was that E* has a valid OTA ATSC receiver that is designed to intercept the PSIP required data, and filter it through a process that sells the information to it's 921 OTA users. In January, I announced my plans to E* in person and suggested they rethink their position on it. Some of you may recall I alluded to the concept that they program the 921 to receive PSIP from the stations with the option to purchase OTA guide data that came from DISH service. But without purchase, they should design the software to at minimum receive what the stations are sending in their PSIP, a regulated minimum would be far better than nothing. At any rate, it's all water under the bridge now if, indeed, this "feature" was intended to be so and we're just experiencing a few bugs with some. Looking forward to hearing from Mark, officially on this. Mark? "

unquote******

P.L.

#7 OFFLINE   keitheva

keitheva

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:36 PM

That certainly is the assumption. i.e. that the 921 is using PSIP data (where it can). There's no reasonable explanation otherwise as to how it can display the KQED-HD subchannel info (since none of these are carried by Dish).

Like Don, what I'm asking for here is some official confirmation from someone with access to Dish techies that this is in fact the case. Mark?

Since I also subscribe to Dish locals, I don't know what OTA EPG data is coming from PSIP, and what is coming from Dish. Hence my other question for those in SFBay not subscribed to Dish locals about what they are seeing for OTA EPG data. I don't want to unsubscribe from Dish locals if for example KQED-HD is the only station for which the 921 can read the PSIP data.

So what's the algorithm?

display_ota_digital_epg_data:
if psip display psip_data;
else if subscribed_to_locals display dish_data;
else display "no information available"; /* no psip, not subscribed to locals */

Or what?

Cheers,
-Keith

#8 OFFLINE   langlin

langlin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:16 PM

this is a reply I got from Mark when I asked if the 921 used PSIP.

http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=134

Leon
Dish VIP722K
AbsoluteHD

#9 OFFLINE   phongluu

phongluu

Mentor

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:17 PM

I can confirm with you 100% that the 921 gets all the EPG from local station.
Again the 921 is a OTA ATSC receiver. It's perhaps getting the PSIP data and filer it with 215, and ..that's why we have them ;)

Here is the fact, I do not sub to dish local, I do not sub to dish (you would say eh!) But yes, I only use 921 for OTA HD and after 215: it gets all the EPG.

Now, I'm just hoping it's the path that dish taking not a fu up mistake, so they won't take it back in the next software update.

P.L

#10 OFFLINE   langlin

langlin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:24 PM

Doesn't make sense because the stations don't go out 9 days with guide data and the dish mirrored guide does.

Leon
Dish VIP722K
AbsoluteHD

#11 OFFLINE   bbomar

bbomar

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:25 PM

Here is the fact, I do not sub to dish local, I do not sub to dish (you would say eh!) But yes, I only use 921 for OTA HD and after 215: it gets all the EPG.
P.L

Even though you don't sub to Dish, you have a dish connected - right?
In other words, you can get the free information channel? If so, you
have access to the Dish guide information stream.

#12 OFFLINE   phongluu

phongluu

Mentor

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:40 PM

Even though you don't sub to Dish, you have a dish connected - right?
In other words, you can get the free information channel? If so, you
have access to the Dish guide information stream.

That's correct.

But how dish get all KQED-HD OTA in SF that has 5 subchannels guide? I do not think so.
I still beleive the 921 does filter itself. Anyway, it's only my assumption at this time.
Where is the 215 Releast Notes.

I have been waiting and waiting for it.
Besind Mark and this site, do you know where to get that infor?

Thanks,
P.L

#13 OFFLINE   keitheva

keitheva

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:59 PM

this is a reply I got from Mark when I asked if the 921 used PSIP.

http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=134

Mmmm...I'm with Phongluu

Dish does not carry *any* of the 5 KQED-HD OTA subchannels. And not one of them is the same schedule as the analog KQED channel which Dish does carry. Yet the 921 is displaying all 6 channels EPG data correctly (5 KQED-HD OTA plus 1 KQED analog off Dish).

Why/how would Dish be streaming/mapping EPG data for channels they don't even carry?

I'd love to know (officially) :)

Also, there are other OTA stations in SFBay which multicast, and the 921 is not displaying the subchannel EPG data for any of them.

#14 OFFLINE   William_K_F

William_K_F

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:26 PM

I dropped my SF locals when I heard L215 would give me guide data. When I got home, it was working fine. I get around 30 channels OTA, about half of them show guide data, and as stated above, KQED now shows data for all the sub channels, whereas before, only the first one had data.

#15 OFFLINE   joebird

joebird

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:35 PM

Yes, the KQED sub-channels are populated in the guide correctly on my 921 (though I still subscribe to locals) and my 942 -- though the 942 loses the data sometimes -- that's another topic.
Vip622 x 2, 510, 110/119/129, DP44

#16 OFFLINE   bbomar

bbomar

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:07 PM

That's correct.
But how dish get all KQED-HD OTA in SF that has 5 subchannels guide? I do not think so.
P.L

How that station has 5 subchannels of guide data is a mystery to me.
Maybe some PSIP data will be used, but I believe all of my guide data
is mapped over from the LILs.

#17 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:34 PM

My 811 shows a lot of the OTA EPG info for Stations that Dish does not carry as my locals. It has for a long time (At least 6 Months), From what I learned it does not get this information from the PSIP stream. My understanding is that no Dish receivers use the PSIP stream for GUIDE data.

The Guide data comes the Dish EPG stream which I believe is not created by Dish. If I recall the TV guide partnership somehow fits into this puzzle, but I am not sure how. As I understand it, this information is coming from the Dish Guide stream and not PSIP.

Would be nice to get a full description on how this all works, I am sure it would explain some of the things we have been seeing. At this point, the only thing I know unless things have change drastically is that it is not from the PSIP stream.

As an example, see how far the OTA data goes out. Does it cover the same time span? PSIP is only required to be 2 days I believe. Some are doing longer but I would find it very coincidental that it covers the same period as standard Dish Channels.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#18 OFFLINE   SteveB

SteveB

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:41 PM

I am getting guide info for all of the main L.A. channels, including some secondary channels, such KABC and KCET (PBS). I do not subscribe to the local channels. There is no guide data for the analog stations.
Steve

Model ID: DishDVR 921, purchased 8/10/2004
Boot Version:120B | Flash Version: F052 | SW Version: L332HECD-N | Satellite: Quad 110/119
Monitor: Samsung HLP5663W, 56 Inch DLP Rear Projection TV, DVI, 720p
Other Dish reciever: 501 DVR

#19 OFFLINE   madbrain

madbrain

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:51 PM

I don't subscribe to the SF bay area locals. I now get the guide with the 921 finally. It is definitely not PSIP. I can say that with certainty because I compared the 921 guide with the one from my Samsung SIR-T165 OTA-only receiver, which is from PSIP. That receiver has guide info for 2-2, 4-2, 7-2, 20-2, which the 921 doesn't show. Conversely, the 921 has guide info for a few channels with no PSIP data, eg. 26-1 .

Regarding KQED subchannels, the 921 has guide info, but the descriptions are not the same as in the PSIP guide of the Samsung. So, at this time, the conclusion is that the 921 doesn't use PSIP.

The PSIP guide doesn't show program year, rating, or whether the programs are subtitled or not - whereas the Dish guide does. IMO, the Dish guide is better, but for channels where Dish does not have any data, the 921 should use PSIP. Or there should be an option to toggle it somewhere, when PSIP support is finally added to the box.
DishPVR 921 - boot 140B, flash F052, SW L276HECD-N
DishDVR 622 - SW L356

#20 OFFLINE   keitheva

keitheva

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:59 PM

Good info Madbrain, thanks. That's pretty definitive.

I subscribe to Dish locals, you don't. It would be interesting to compare whether there's any difference wrt the OTA EPG info we get. Here's the list of OTA digital stations which I get EPG data for:

002-01 KTVU
004-01 KRON
005-01 KPIX
007-01 KGO
009-01 to 05 KQED
011-01 KNTV
020-01 KBWB
026-01 KTSF
032-01 KMTP
043-01/02 KCSM
044-01 KBHK
047-01 KTLN