Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Kenny Rogers

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dan9

Dan9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:52 PM

What do you guys think of what Kenny Rogers did the other day, and do you think the suspension was a long enough one for his actions??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RichW

RichW

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:07 PM

What did he do? Did he try to sing an operatic aria? :)
No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child.

#3 OFFLINE   SAEMike

SAEMike

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:23 PM

First of all some background:

Kenny Rogers - the pitcher for the Texas Rangers, Not the Gambler - attacked a couple of photographers on the field. He attacked one more than once and it was not simply something done out of emotion, but it took some time, so it was something he thought about.

Today, he was suspended 20 games for the action. I think the suspension is a bit severe. Francisco Rivera threw a chair into the stands, which I think was worse, and only got 15 games. Everyone was predicting a 10 game suspension for Rogers, which I think would have been fair.

#4 OFFLINE   juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:31 PM

Kenny Rogers - the pitcher for the Texas Rangers, Not the Gambler - attacked a couple of photographers on the field. He attacked one more than once and it was not simply something done out of emotion, but it took some time, so it was something he thought about.

Today, he was suspended 20 games for the action. I think the suspension is a bit severe. Francisco Rivera threw a chair into the stands, which I think was worse, and only got 15 games. Everyone was predicting a 10 game suspension for Rogers, which I think would have been fair.

Not really that severe If it been 20 STARTS I might agree..This really only a 5 game suspension

#5 OFFLINE   Dan9

Dan9

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:48 PM

Once he appeals the suspension, MLB will probably cut it down to about 10 games or so.

#6 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:20 PM

He should have gotten run for the year. Most actor/athelete vs. photographer deals are some reporter sticking a mike in the face of some guy after an upsetting event or something.

This guy was just filming the workouts, a standard thing done every day. Its as if an actor had just decided he could stomp on one of the film crew.

Totally unjustified.

#7 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:51 PM

He needs to know when to walk away, and know when to run. ;)
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,694 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 July 2005 - 12:02 PM

Am I remembering wrong, or wasn't this guy (Rogers) out with a hand or arm injury for the moment anyway? If so, taking a swing at a guy filming the workout that he isn't even participating in fully makes this an even weirder situation.

In any event... most folks with "real" jobs couldn't just take swings at someone without drastic action. In many professions outside of sports, that kind of thing can get you fired on the spot!

A 20 game suspension, when he would only actually play 4-5 of them anyway being a pitcher seems like a minimum place to start. A couple of NBA players from Indiana got more than that and every game suspended counted, for similar actions.

#9 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:44 PM

There is talk about Kenny Rogers pitcher from the Texas Rangers possibly being allowed to participate in the All Star game July 12th at Comerica Park in Detroit. Personally I think they should NOT Allow him at this game. I think the 20 game suspension is bogus. He went after a camera man. I think the son of a bitch should be suspended for the rest of this season. The Suspension is too light. And by no means should he be allowed to participate and even attend the All-Star game.

#10 OFFLINE   Dan9

Dan9

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:14 PM

His suspension will be like most of the other ones in MLB, he'll appeal it, and then it will be reduced by about half, then he'll already have put in about 2 or 3 starts before his appeal process is over with. I think the appeal process should be thrown out on instances like this one.

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,694 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:16 AM

It is one thing when folks that may or may not be guilty appeal a sentence while additional facts are brought to light... but in a situation like this, where the guy is on film doing the "crime"... it seems like the sentence could take effect while the appeal is going on, and either they owe him back-salary if the appeal results in a stiffer penalty OR the appeal ends and his time is already "served" because he sat out while it was going on...

But it doesn't seem to work that way. Also, from what I've heard... the All-Star game is being treated separate anyway... so that even if his 20 game suspension is upheld, he will be permitted to play in the All Star game as long as he is selected for the team.

#12 OFFLINE   Dan9

Dan9

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:43 AM

He was selected to the All Star Game, and I was watching the Baseball Tonight All Star show last night, and they said that players get a bonus for playing in the All Star Game. So that fine he was accessed will be pretty much nullified since the players supposedly get 50,000 dollars just to participate in the All Star Game. :nono:

#13 OFFLINE   Dan9

Dan9

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:48 AM

Yeah, but Rivera was being heckled by fans when he threw that chair, Kenny Rogers went after those cameramen without being provoked like Rivera was.

#14 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:59 AM

Can you really set rules that forbid appeals in certain circumstances unless you presuppose innocence or guilt? I don't approve of what he apparently did, but he deserves the same right to appeal as anyone else. Then he will lose 20 gamnes (5 starts but a loss of pay based on 20 games) or whatever the appeals process decided is correct.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#15 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 07:42 PM

In the old days, when the leagues were really leagues, the appeals would be held the next time the team played in NYC, which could be months later. Guys would appeal, and then drop the appeal right before the NY road trips, often after the penant races were over. A very effective tactic when the Mets or Yankees, were very bad, or very good.

The guy want to appeal. OK, have "court" the next day.

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,694 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:30 AM

Can you really set rules that forbid appeals in certain circumstances unless you presuppose innocence or guilt? I don't approve of what he apparently did, but he deserves the same right to appeal as anyone else. Then he will lose 20 gamnes (5 starts but a loss of pay based on 20 games) or whatever the appeals process decided is correct.

In the "real" world... let's say a child care worker is arrested for supposedly abusing a child. Usually the person is let go from the job while the trial is going on AND during any appeals process.

Apologies are made afterwards, and yeah it sucks to be accused of something you didn't do... but the alternative is to let the abuser stay on the job to abuse others while being tried.

Back to baseball... they have the guy on camera attacking not one, but two cameramen... and unprovoked I might add. He can't possibily be appealing whether or not he attacked them... he is only appealing the length of time of his punishment from the league.

When I figure that if this happened at most folks' day jobs, we'd be fired on the spot most likely... he should have taken the 20 game suspension and been quiet except to make apologies.

#17 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:07 PM

The problem with that comaparison is that he did not abuse a child. I am not condoning his behavior. I am simply saying he hasa right to appeal. Should he lose the appeal he will still suffer the same 20 game suspension.

As for waht would happen on"most jobs" well let's put it this way----if the job had an appeals process it would kick in. If not he would be fired. In this case there isan appeals process. And no one is talking about firing him.

All Ia m saying is let the process (whatever it is) work.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,694 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:30 AM

Perhaps a better example...

If I walk up and punch two guys on the street... chances are pretty good I'll be arrested and spend at least a few hours in jail.

There is no appeal that will get me out of the jail cell... they set bail, and someone comes and picks me up... but I sit in the cell while it is happening... and while I'm in the cell, I'm not at work.

If convicted of a crime like assault, and sentenced to a few months of jail time... I could appeal the sentence, but I'd have to do it from within jail. They wouldn't let me roam free while I'm appealing... the appeal happens while I'm in jail.

I'm not denying the man his appeal... but it seems like he should be serving the imposed penalty while he is appealing. That's the way the real world usually works.

And besides, he attacked two guys and it is all on camera... it isn't like he can deny it. And being a pitcher, they have to suspend him some multiple of 4-5 games or he'd only lose a single game pay... they have to make it at least 20 so he misses a few starts, otherwise it isn't much of a penalty.

Frankly... I think he should get the "Ron Artest" out for the season sentence. If it was fail for the basketbrawl, then it makes sense for basebrawl too.

#19 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:59 AM

The 'appeal' process is equivalent to being 'out on bail' in real life. You continnue on until justice is heard.

#20 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:36 PM

Right and that is all that I am saying. INa lot of criminal cases the evidence is pretty clear cut. But the defendant is still often given his freedom on bail. In any event it all proceeds on the basis of predetermined rules. In baseball the set of rules allow for a player to appeal. My guess is that Rogers will still get a suspension etc. In fact I doubt that he will claim innocence. I think he will only claim that the sentence is excessive. Personally I do not think it is. But I think he has a right to the same appeals process as every other player. We can't say that you have a right to appeal----except when you ar ereally guilty----how would that ever be enforced?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...