Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

stuttering playback from hard disk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Delta Richard

Delta Richard

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:55 PM

Suddenly today, on my DVR921, recordings that I have made, both recently and a couple of months ago, stutter regularly during playback. Pauses can be as long as 2-3 seconds. Another post mentioned defragmentation, is it possible for a 6 month old disk to become so defragmented as to cause this problem? Has someone already had this problem, and found a solutions?

If you have a suggestion for a cure, please let me know. a3b12498@telus.net.

Thanks

Richard

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:03 AM

Suddenly today, on my DVR921, recordings that I ...
If you have a suggestion for a cure, please let me know. a3b12498@telus.net.

Thanks

Richard

Have you tried a reboot (power plug might be best)?

Have you tried the hard disk diagnostic.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#3 OFFLINE   Delta Richard

Delta Richard

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:09 AM

I have tried unplug, and replug a few times, and am running the disk diagnostic.

I am beginning to suspect that the problem is caused by one of the latest updates, I am L215HEED, as recordings made in the last 2 days are find, but recordings 2-3 weeks old, or older stutter. When they updated the software, it must have affected the sync of playback somehow.

Hopefully someone else will verify this.

#4 OFFLINE   langlin

langlin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 12:48 PM

I have old recordings that do NOT stutter.
Sending pictures through the air is impossible, Television will never work!

Leon
Dish VIP722K
SW L6.62 Sat 1000 and 500 61.5/110/119/129
AbsoluteHD
Monitor Toshiba TW65x81 Component and Samsung HL-T7288W
Other Dish VIP612 SW L6.09

#5 OFFLINE   KKlare

KKlare

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 03:22 PM

I've had recent recordings that lose picture or sound for 1 to 30 seconds. I can some times fix this for a few seconds or the whole recording by backing up once. This has happened a lot and did not happen before L215. The old loss of sound followed by dropped frames is still there. Backing up does not help.

Yesterday I had a weird one. An hour recording showed only a gray picture with the sound. A second subsequent recording looked OK. Went back to the first and it played fine. They were 2 1-hr segments of the same program -- the 1 long Saint instead of 2 Avengers on BBC. There is some new audio and video disconnect.
-Ken

#6 OFFLINE   Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 04:03 PM

I had a show that did that with L211, i started the show and it played the audio with no picture, i could pause and fast forward and everything, just no picture. Then i stoppped it watched it later and it was fine.
So this is not new to 215....
Jon

#7 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:43 AM

My experience with frequent stuttering during playback of recorded events or when using "trick play" was that it was the first symptom of hard drive failure. As the drive got worse, the duration of stutter/freeze increased, until the unit became essentially unusable and had to be replaced. Of course, there are likely other causes for this issue as well; just noting what I personally experienced.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...