Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dan9

Dan9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 03:45 PM

Does Directv plan on adding any new channels worth watching? The last three they've added have nothing to offer to hardly anybody. Thanks for your responses.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 06:06 PM

Your guess is as good as anyone elses. DirecTV doesn't let too much leak. Heck, TNT-HD and ESPN2-HD have been mentioned for few months. And, now the INHDs are in the spotlight.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:39 PM

I am still waiting on AmericanLife TV (formerly GoodLife TV). That and a few others are really all that's left for me. I wouldn't mind checking out that International Music Feed that Dish Network has, but nothing else too crucial unless that Wrestling Channel from the UK comes over to the US.
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

#4 OFFLINE   tvwatcher365

tvwatcher365

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:44 PM

Do you think Directv would add a network like AmericanLife TV? I mean it looks like it has a decent lineup, but would Rupert go for it? He didn't budge when it was Goodlife TV.

#5 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,459 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:57 PM

Your guess is as good as anyone elses. DirecTV doesn't let too much leak. Heck, TNT-HD and ESPN2-HD have been mentioned for few months. And, now the INHDs are in the spotlight.

I keep wondering why they keep adding programing that appeals to small groups of people, instead of moving ahead with putting on major networks like TNT-HD & ESPN2-HD.

I know we keep hearing about the lack of bandwith and how HD uses so much more, which is true. But, I don't understand why they send Showtime-HD & HBO-HD each to two different transponders so we get it at two different channels on the receiver. I would think they should be able to transmit HBO-HD to one transponder and Showtime-HD to another and then software link them to channels 70 & 509, and 71 & 543 on the receivers. Then they would free up two more HD transponders and be able to transmit TNT-HD & ESPN2-HD.

I never could understand why they transmitted the same programing on two different channels anyway.

Right now the big push in on to get all TV broadcasts converted to digital & HD, and you would think that would be on the top of their list, to offer as much HD programing as possible.

#6 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:21 PM

I would think they should be able to transmit HBO-HD to one transponder and Showtime-HD to another and then software link them to channels 70 & 509, and 71 & 543 on the receivers. Then they would free up two more HD transponders and be able to transmit TNT-HD & ESPN2-HD.

I never could understand why they transmitted the same programing on two different channels anyway.

I thought that was how they did it. Just mirrored one (71) to the other (543).
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

#7 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:07 PM

Those aren't on two different transponders. Just mirrored as suggested. The real HBO-HD is on 509, your receiver just presents it as 70 as well. Same with SHOW-HD
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#8 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:05 AM

FOX east HD was moved to 119 west. Don't know what is up with that.

#9 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,459 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:38 AM

Those aren't on two different transponders. Just mirrored as suggested. The real HBO-HD is on 509, your receiver just presents it as 70 as well. Same with SHOW-HD

I wasn't sure but it looked like on the LyngSat listings, that they were separate. Makes more sense that they are the same. Now I look closer I see they are the same.

#10 OFFLINE   wittlesvaseel

wittlesvaseel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:05 PM

If you want channels to be added, call in and ask the csr to put in a channel request. If enough people do it, and DTV sees theres money to made offering it, they will.

#11 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:27 PM

If you want channels to be added, call in and ask the csr to put in a channel request. If enough people do it, and DTV sees theres money to made offering it, they will.

:lol: This is a Joke RIGHT!? :lol:
I think we have all called in numerous times for more HD channels. Shall I make a list to remind you? Lets see:
Cinemax HD E and W
HBO HD W
SHOWTIME HD W
TMC HD
TNT HD
ESPN2 HD
STARZ HD E and W
ENCORE HD (when it was around)
etc.
Do I need to continue? :rolleyes: The point is, we get what D* wants us to have. They can care less about what we ask for! :nono2:

#12 OFFLINE   jpurkey

jpurkey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:06 PM

Do you think Directv would add a network like AmericanLife TV? I mean it looks like it has a decent lineup, but would Rupert go for it? He didn't budge when it was Goodlife TV.

Probably depends on who owns AmericanLife and whether adding it could be made a requirement for continuing to carry another channel that is already on DirecTV.

If AmericanLife is independently owned then it will probably never be added. Instead we will continue to get more Viacom channels like TV1 and LOGO.

#13 OFFLINE   tvwatcher365

tvwatcher365

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:14 PM

It doesn't appear that AmericanLife TV network is owned by a mega conglomerate company like Viacom, so that might hurt its chances as already mentioned for getting satellite carriage. It doesn't look like a bad network though, seems better than Tvland or other networks which claim to have "Classic-tv programming"

#14 OFFLINE   Crystal Pepsi Ball

Crystal Pepsi Ball

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:48 AM

Instead we will continue to get more Viacom channels like TV1.

Correct me if I am wrong, But isn't TV1 owned by Comcast?

#15 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:53 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, But isn't TV1 owned by Comcast?

Thats what I thought too! :confused:

#16 OFFLINE   tvwatcher365

tvwatcher365

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:33 AM

Thats what I thought too! :confused:

You are correct TVONE was started up by Comcast & I believe Radio One in January 2004 as an alternative to BET.

#17 OFFLINE   jpurkey

jpurkey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:04 AM

Ooops. I thought I had read somewhere that TV1 was a Viacom channel. I should of checked their website like I did for LOGO.

#18 OFFLINE   wittlesvaseel

wittlesvaseel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:25 PM

This is a Joke RIGHT!?
I think we have all called in numerous times for more HD channels. Shall I make a list to remind you? Lets see:
Cinemax HD E and W
HBO HD W
SHOWTIME HD W
TMC HD
TNT HD
ESPN2 HD
STARZ HD E and W
ENCORE HD (when it was around)
etc.
Do I need to continue? The point is, we get what D* wants us to have. They can care less about what we ask for!

Hardly. If more people ask for them, then the more likely Dtv will get them. Being able to provide more content so they can charge more down the road is common business sense. So, instead of thinking just you or 200 of your ebst buds will get the job done, get organised and get mroe people to call in just to ask for additional channels.

#19 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:29 PM

Hardly. If more people ask for them, then the more likely Dtv will get them. Being able to provide more content so they can charge more down the road is common business sense. So, instead of thinking just you or 200 of your ebst buds will get the job done, get organised and get mroe people to call in just to ask for additional channels.

This is what happened with the ST superfan package. They actually dropped the price $50 (even though you pretty much have to ask - well, it's not on the webpage )
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

#20 OFFLINE   DS0816

DS0816

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 02:55 PM

Shouldn't Style Network be on DirecTV already? Comcast owns it, or is part-owner, and it would make sense for DirecTV to add the channel. Also, Nickelodeon Games and Sports should be made available to subscribers. So should the Tennis Channel. And the Sportsman Channel. Ditto a lot of others, mentioned in this thread and similar ones beforehand.

spam firewall