Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Philips 50" Plasma HDTV (50PF9630A)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Zatoichi

Zatoichi

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:21 PM

I'm thinking of getting this set. Anyone have any experiance with this TV? If not this one, I'm also looking at one of the new Sony 3LCD TV's.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,488 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:27 AM

I'm thinking of getting this set. Anyone have any experiance with this TV? If not this one, I'm also looking at one of the new Sony 3LCD TV's.

No personal experience, but in a recent article, Consumer Reports liked the 42" Philips plasma receiver. Downside of Plasma -- high price, heat (and lots of it!), power consumption, bulb life and replacement cost and burnin of bright static images (although this has improved in recent years). Advantages -- bright, gorgeous pictures, slim cabinets.
My daughter and son-inlaw have a 60 inch Sony RP LCD receiver and are very happy with it. I haven't seen too much of it, so can't comment on whether it has noticable screen door effect, a common problem with LCD's You certainly get more bang for the buck with an LCD, but image quality may not be as good as with a plasma receiver. RP LCD's also take up more space than plasma receivers (deeper cabinets, but not as deep as RP CRT receiver cabinets).

If possible, compare the sets with true HD source programming in addition to standard analog broadcasts and DVD's. That may be difficult in most store environments, where they don't have HD reception from either cable or satellite. Most programming today is still 480i analog, so it pays to see how well the receiver handles that type of source.
For what it's worth, the effective SD picture size (diagonal) on a widescreen receiver is 0.817 times the diagonal measurement of the receiver. Hence, a 50 inch widescreen receiver will display an SD picture about the size of a 41 inch 4:3 receiver.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#3 OFFLINE   Kendick

Kendick

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 08:53 PM

Take a look at Pioneer Elite. A bit pricey but worth every nickel.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...