Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Game console effects on projection TVs?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kcho6

kcho6

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:07 AM

I have an Xbox gaming console which I use with a SONY rear projection HDTV. I have been warned by some friends who claim that the Xbox is "ruining" my TV. Is this some kind of myth or is this indeed fact. It doesn't make sense to me. My other video inputs use component, just like the Xbox, so why don't they "ruin" my TV?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:54 AM

It's about burn-in... If you leave anything up for an extended period of time (with the contrast cranked up) on a true rear-projection TV, you can burn-in the static image due to uneven wear. It can be the HUD from a game, but it can just as easily be the ticker bar or network logo from a TV station, so this problem isn't specific to consoles, other than the fact that games often have static icons or text displayed on screen for many hours of use.

Note that if you have an RP-LCD, this doesn't apply (i.e. they don't burn-in).

#3 OFFLINE   kcho6

kcho6

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:47 PM

It's a Sony KDF-55WF655 LCD projection. The manual doesn't give an indication if it is rear projection. I assume it is becasue of the depth of the unit...but I'm not sure.

#4 OFFLINE   kb7oeb

kb7oeb

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:42 PM

I've noticed fewer static images on newer games, the info only pops up when the value changes like when you pick something up. As long as its always changing its not a problem.

#5 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:26 PM

Wouldn't turning the TV off when it is not in use alleviate this problem?
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#6 OFFLINE   skidog

skidog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:35 AM

You should'nt have a problem, since it is a LCD. I have the KF-50XBR800 and I leave my XBOX games on all day sometimes and I have no problems.

#7 OFFLINE   kcho6

kcho6

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:59 AM

thanks

#8 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:07 AM

Hence why I guarded my comments above by noting that this only applied if it was a true rear projection set. A DLP, LCD, or LCD-RP TV set does not have this same issue, and hence the two Sony HDTVs specifically referenced above by model number are free of this issue; game 'till your heart is content.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...