Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Who is LG

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Oldcoot

Oldcoot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:16 PM

Is LG just Zenith renamed or did LG aquire Zenith.
Anyway, where and by whom is this stuff made and some opinions on quality please.

Thanks !

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:24 PM

LG acquired Zenith. It is the Korean firm Goldstar rebranded.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#3 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:26 PM

I've seen them make cell phones. I guess with the modern age comes the modern brand name.

#4 OFFLINE   DishDude1

DishDude1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:40 PM

Personally I think it is pretty good stuff. They make Sony's HD Directv box. Comparable to Samsung.

#5 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:03 AM

LG is the shortened name of Lucky Goldstar. They are the Korean equivalen of Sony. They make some very high end products(IE dvd players, CDMA phones) and some low end products(IE GSM phones, clock radios, etc.) My experience with LG has been overall good. Their Zenith products have greatly improved upon a name that had become synonymous with "fall from grace." I own an LG 1080I dvd player that just knocks my socks off, and I"ve heard great things about their PVR box.
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

#6 OFFLINE   EricG

EricG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:11 PM

I've seen washer and dryers.

www.lge.com
DirecTV HR21
DirecTV HR10-250 (30hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (140hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (107hr)

#7 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 05:59 PM

Did not a lot of old time US brands end up with their "goodwill" value of their trademarks as their only asset in bankruptcy. Which was bought by various Asian companies, which have no realtaionship with the original companies at all.

#8 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:51 AM

It's probably not fair to equate LG with Sony, since LG makes a diverse line of appliances as well, including dehumidifiers, Air conditioners, microwaves, etc.
They also make a wide variety of computer peripherals. I have an LG tri-format (DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RAM) DVD burner in my mediacenter PC. They make flat panel monitors in addition to their TV products.
Zenith Radio was a longtime Chicago manufacturer of radios and TV's. In the early days of FM radio, the company had a high quality FM broadcast station in Chicago. The company pioneered FM Stereo radio.
For many years, Zenith promoted high quality TV receivers with the slogan "The Quality goes in before the name goes on". To my knowledge, Zenith was the last major US manufacturer to move production out of the country, closing its Chicago plant and moving manufacturing to Mexico. The company has been a major player in electonics and TV over the years. They acquired the Heath company in 1979, dabbled in personal computer manufacture, and were instrumental in the development of the HD television system used in the USA. In 1995, LG Electronics purchased a majority interest in Zenith, and in 1999, Zenith became a wholly owned subsidiary of LG. For an interesting historical look at Zenith, see http://company.monster.com/zec/

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#9 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:10 AM

I have a Zenith HDTV made by LG (But branded by Zenith) and have been VERY happy with it. It even has a QUAM Tuner in it so I can enjoy the HD channels off of cable as well as being able to watch VOD for free. ;)

#10 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:14 AM

It's probably not fair to equate LG with Sony, since LG makes a diverse line of appliances as well, including dehumidifiers, Air conditioners, microwaves, etc.
They also make a wide variety of computer peripherals. I have an LG tri-format (DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RAM) DVD burner in my mediacenter PC. They make flat panel monitors in addition to their TV products.
Zenith Radio was a longtime Chicago manufacturer of radios and TV's. In the early days of FM radio, the company had a high quality FM broadcast station in Chicago. The company pioneered FM Stereo radio.
For many years, Zenith promoted high quality TV receivers with the slogan "The Quality goes in before the name goes on". To my knowledge, Zenith was the last major US manufacturer to move production out of the country, closing its Chicago plant and moving manufacturing to Mexico. The company has been a major player in electonics and TV over the years. They acquired the Heath company in 1979, dabbled in personal computer manufacture, and were instrumental in the development of the HD television system used in the USA. In 1995, LG Electronics purchased a majority interest in Zenith, and in 1999, Zenith became a wholly owned subsidiary of LG. For an interesting historical look at Zenith, see http://company.monster.com/zec/

Where I used to work, Whirlpool was a major client. Many of the execs had the opinion that LG was the way to go should they ever leave the company. According to them, Whirlpool's opinion is that LG will be the next major competitior in both consumer electronics and appliances. Their roadmap must look pretty good for Whirlpool to be salivating over them.
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

#11 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:24 AM

I rememeber using Zenith "PC's" back the 1980's when I was in the USAF. I also remember dad's Zenith "Hi-FI" with vacuum tube amplifier, record changer and AM/FM tuner in a big wooden console. Zenith was also into military electronics - stuff the general public never heard of.

I've never owned anything LG but from what I've heard it's excellent stuff. Our local Lowe's building center sells LG appliances like washer and dryers.
My time walkin' the blue globe is sparse. Hopefully, see ya'll on the flipside.

#12 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:05 PM

I do have an old 1976 Zenith color TV that was previously used in a hotel room that I got at a rummage sale at that hotel. It needed a few adjustments in the inside panels, but now it works okay.
Do you DVR?

#13 OFFLINE   Oldcoot

Oldcoot

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:41 PM

I have been looking for a HD set for my bedroom. After considerable research I found that the Zenith Z23LZ5R is the same set as the LG 23LX2R. Only difference being that the Zenith branded set is $125.00 cheaper than the LG brand.
Picked up one at Circuit City and am well pleased so far.

Thanks for the info !!

#14 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:57 AM

Goldstar had a rotten reputation for quality so they rebranded it.

LG is basically the GE of South Korea in that they have tons of products over a wide variety of industries (In addition to electronics, we are technically a dealer for them for vinyl flooring although there haven't been many nibbles so far by my corporate and retail clients).

I've been wary of them becuase of the their Goldstar heritage in electronics, but I'm glad that they are improving the reliability of their products. Their pricing is usually pretty good.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   jmbrooks

jmbrooks

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:55 AM

In the early days Samsung (another South Korean Co.) wasn't known for quality products, now they are giving Sony a run for their money. I would say LG is also coming up alongside of these great name brands. Competition is great for the consumer, I say "the more the merrier"
Russ

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero!

#16 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:50 PM

Goldstar had a rotten reputation for quality so they rebranded it.

Goldstar has been importing to the US for many years and their products had a TERRIBLE reputation for quite some time. They were well known for their combo stereo systems with everything (well, turntable, AM/FM and 8 track player) in one unit with outrageous wattage claims (1,000,000 watts per channel with one channel driven 500-501 hz at 200% distortion instantaneous power) weighing in at under 10 pounds. Well, I exaggerate just a bit. They are much improved now, just as the Koreans have done with Hyundai in the automotive market.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#17 OFFLINE   digital223

digital223

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 08:58 PM

Your comments on Lg/Goldstar are interesting and true. And most of us are in love with all of our electronic goodies.

But many of the blue chip old timer manufacturers are gone..........forever. Even Fischer is part of Sanyo. Some major tv networks are owned by foreign corporations.
The sad part of this is the bottom line.....money. We [USA] people, manufacturers you name it have given away our lunch.

There is a flip side to this but only on a small scale. Which is some very intelligent risk takers [entrepreneurs] have reinvented some of the products that have fallen by the wayside, or have been eaten up by the Asian mfgrs. They are mfgring super but very expensive products.

But the great days of those pioneering electronic giants are gone forever in this country. :(

#18 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:39 PM

Your comments on Lg/Goldstar are interesting and true. And most of us are in love with all of our electronic goodies.

But many of the blue chip old timer manufacturers are gone..........forever. Even Fischer is part of Sanyo. Some major tv networks are owned by foreign corporations.
T :(

What major TV networks are those? Just curious
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#19 OFFLINE   digital223

digital223

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:58 PM

What major TV networks are those? Just curious

NBC owned by GE and Vivendi Universal which I beleive is French

#20 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:05 PM

Vivendi owns 20%. GE owns 80% The FCC actually forbids foreign ownership ofa broadcast network. They actually ruled that Fox is not foreign owned. I am not sure I buy that determination but they made it.

spam firewall