Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Are We Ready?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Roger

Roger

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 518 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 03:09 AM

For football that is. I can’t wait as I’m starting to get the fever. I use to enjoy making predictions for all the teams and divisions in the NFL years ago but in this day of parity it’s impossible and not fun at all any more.

But we still have college football which is better and a lot more fun anyway. I live for college football while the NFL only fills my Sundays. The NFL product is not what it once was and many of the primetime games are lame. Very lame! Not to mention that the games start too late and if you have a job on the east coast where you have to get up early for work shows the NFL isn’t really that fan friendly. In fact, they’re number one because where’s the competition? NASCAR is cool at times but many aren’t going to watch boring baseball or NHL, basketball and other crap so the NFL wins by default. At least on Sunday or any other day other than Saturday because Saturday is when college football is king. I can’t wait. The NFL screws the East Coast to appease the West Coast which is BS because this was the reason why Tape-Delay was invented.

You got a lot of great rivalries in college football and there is a passion and atmosphere that can’t be matched in the NFL. In college football you play for fun and for pride which the NFL lacks. College games are great to watch because not only is it a better product, but you actually get to watch a lot of football where the commercial breaks are in between the game rather than the NFL where you have a little football between all the commercials.

My predictions for CFA this year:

USC will lose two games and won’t be part of the BCS. They will miss Chow!

Penn State will lose one game and play in a BCS game and will win the National Title then JoePa will retire and this will be the story of the year. Penn State returns most of its championship caliber defense and defense wins championships. Robinson will be sharp and is a senior and will limit his mistakes of the past. Derrick Williams will be the next “Rocket Ismail” type player and one or two other new recruits will stand out and be enough to complement the championships caliber defense.

Tyler Palko will win the Heisman as Pitt goes undefeated until they lose to Penn State in the Rose Bowl. Priceless!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cjgarst

cjgarst

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 12:00 PM

USC will lose two games and won’t be part of the BCS. They will miss Chow!

Wow! Going out on a limb! ;) USC is over-rated and Auburn would have taken it to them last year! SEC kills Pac-10 any day. 2nd Pac-10 team Cal gets killed by mediocre Big 12 Texas Tech. Cal was USC's only competition last year. Oh, they will miss Chow, but they have too many holes to fill. Reggie Bush gets exposed this year.

Penn State will lose one game and play in a BCS game and will win the National Title then JoePa will retire and this will be the story of the year. Penn State returns most of its championship caliber defense and defense wins championships. Robinson will be sharp and is a senior and will limit his mistakes of the past. Derrick Williams will be the next “Rocket Ismail” type player and one or two other new recruits will stand out and be enough to complement the championships caliber defense.

:rolling: Just when I thought you were a Pac-10 fan! Nope... just crazy (alumni?)! JoePa wins 6 and is forced out, retiring with his "winning" season.

Tyler Palko will win the Heisman as Pitt goes undefeated until they lose to Penn State in the Rose Bowl. Priceless!

:new_Eyecr WHAT?! Dude, you need to watch some other conferences! No Big East team will have a legit Heisman candidate! The Big East is lucky they are under contract with the BCS or they might not even have a spot!!! They should rename that conference the Big Easy! I wouldn't be surprised to see Louisville win out in the Big Easy.

Anyhow here are some of my thoughts you can slam (coming from a Clemson alumni):
Heisman is given to the QB or RB of a national title contender, not to the best player in college football. See undrafted Jason White for details.

Conference Champs:
ACC: Va Tech (weak schedule)
Big Easy: Louisville
Big 10: Iowa (Best coach)
Big 12: Oklahoma (Texas always chokes)
C-USA: UTEP (best coach again)
MAC: Bowling Green
Mountain West: Wyoming
Pac 10: USC (conf. too weak. Az State only other team with a chance)
SEC: Tennessee (Urban Meyer takes 2 years to become effective. Best story: Spurrier getting his *** handed to him all year, topped off with another Clemson whipping... off the field, too, if they want!)
Sun Belt: Troy
WAC: Boise State

National Champ: Tennessee ( I hate to say that)
Heisman: Gerald Riggs, RB, Tenn; darkhorse: Charlie Whitehurst, QB, Clemson. :)

There you go. Fire away! :)

#3 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:40 PM

Interesting....don't over look LSU. They still have a ton of talent just a new coach. If they can get all this QB crap hammered out then things should run well. The only game I don't care for in their schedule is Florida at home. Never a good thing.
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

#4 OFFLINE   Roger

Roger

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 518 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:11 PM

cjgarst:

I said a lot of bull but Palko is for real! Just watch and see. He's the real deal.

#5 OFFLINE   Dan9

Dan9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:05 AM

Wow! Going out on a limb! ;) USC is over-rated and Auburn would have taken it to them last year! SEC kills Pac-10 any day. 2nd Pac-10 team Cal gets killed by mediocre Big 12 Texas Tech. Cal was USC's only competition last year. Oh, they will miss Chow, but they have too many holes to fill. Reggie Bush gets exposed this year.

:rolling: Just when I thought you were a Pac-10 fan! Nope... just crazy (alumni?)! JoePa wins 6 and is forced out, retiring with his "winning" season.

:new_Eyecr WHAT?! Dude, you need to watch some other conferences! No Big East team will have a legit Heisman candidate! The Big East is lucky they are under contract with the BCS or they might not even have a spot!!! They should rename that conference the Big Easy! I wouldn't be surprised to see Louisville win out in the Big Easy.

Anyhow here are some of my thoughts you can slam (coming from a Clemson alumni):
Heisman is given to the QB or RB of a national title contender, not to the best player in college football. See undrafted Jason White for details.

Conference Champs:
ACC: Va Tech (weak schedule)
Big Easy: Louisville
Big 10: Iowa (Best coach)
Big 12: Oklahoma (Texas always chokes)
C-USA: UTEP (best coach again)
MAC: Bowling Green
Mountain West: Wyoming
Pac 10: USC (conf. too weak. Az State only other team with a chance)
SEC: Tennessee (Urban Meyer takes 2 years to become effective. Best story: Spurrier getting his *** handed to him all year, topped off with another Clemson whipping... off the field, too, if they want!)
Sun Belt: Troy
WAC: Boise State

National Champ: Tennessee ( I hate to say that)
Heisman: Gerald Riggs, RB, Tenn; darkhorse: Charlie Whitehurst, QB, Clemson. :)

There you go. Fire away! :)

Charlie Whitehurst for Heisman, you've got to be kidding!!! :lol: :lol:
GO GAMECOCKS!!!!!!! :)

#6 OFFLINE   markh

markh

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:30 AM

I have to agree with cjgarst about two things. I agree that Iowa will win the Big Ten. Kirk Ferentz is the best coach in the conference(apologies to Barry Alvarez, sorry coach). He's also got an experienced team returning. Last year if Iowa hadn't had so many injuries at running back they could have been a national title game contender. If I remember right they had the 5th string back starting at one time. For Badger fans, it's about time Ferentz gets a pro job.

The Heisman. Agreed that it's a popularity contest between the RBs and QBs of a few teams that have title hopes.

Roger, that's the beauty of college football. Before the season we can all dream. In my dreams Wisconsin finds a quarterback and wins the Big Ten. The 49-3 win over Iowa at Camp Randall is the highlight of the season. Sometime in October reality will set in.
I would like to see Penn State have a decent season so Paterno can retire with some dignity. He's a class act among coaches and it would be nice to see him leave after a successful season.

#7 OFFLINE   cjgarst

cjgarst

• Banned User
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:09 AM

Charlie Whitehurst for Heisman, you've got to be kidding!!!

I notice no denying the butt kicking on or off the field ;)
GO TIGERS 29-7 & won the fight! 63-17 the year before!!!

Roger, that's the beauty of college football. Before the season we can all dream.

Yes, it is nice. If your a Gamecock it's all you have! ;)

I would like to see Penn State have a decent season so Paterno can retire with some dignity. He's a class act among coaches and it would be nice to see him leave after a successful season.

I agree 100%, but it doesn't look promising. I do hope he has a winning season so he can at least retire with that. A national championship would be great, but 1,000,000:1 chance of that.

#8 OFFLINE   Dan9

Dan9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:41 AM

I notice no denying the butt kicking on or off the field ;)
GO TIGERS 29-7 & won the fight! 63-17 the year before!!!

Yes, it is nice. If your a Gamecock it's all you have! ;)

I agree 100%, but it doesn't look promising. I do hope he has a winning season so he can at least retire with that. A national championship would be great, but 1,000,000:1 chance of that.

And how many National Championships has Tommy Bowden won??? I believe that's a fat goose egg, also I didn't respond to that stupid quote about the butt kicking because this year is going to be different, and how can you justify a guy as a darkhorse for a Heisman when last year he had 10 more interceptions than he did touchdowns: 7 touchdowns, 17 interceptions. :confused:

#9 OFFLINE   cjgarst

cjgarst

• Banned User
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:32 PM

And how many National Championships has Tommy Bowden won??? I believe that's a fat goose egg, also I didn't respond to that stupid quote about the butt kicking because this year is going to be different, and how can you justify a guy as a darkhorse for a Heisman when last year he had 10 more interceptions than he did touchdowns: 7 touchdowns, 17 interceptions. :confused:

How many championships has SC won? (NOT USC, that would be Southern Cal) Heck, how many winning seasons has SC had? What a short memory you Cocks have! Must need it with all of those losing seasons! Lou treated you well, eh? Oh and as far as National Championships, let talk. In all sports SC has 0, Clemson has 4. One in football, one in men's golf and two in men's soccer. Heck, SC has lost so much that your announcer called your NIT "championship" a "national championship!" What a joke. You would think that a school in a city with 37,000+ would be better in some way than a rural school with an enrollment of 17,000; but no, not in anyway! Clemson is better in athletics and academics! Must hurt to lose so much to us.

I love college smack! :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...