Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Channels?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:35 AM

What is the deal with Dish Network? They raise our prices by $3 then don't give us any new channels and I saw at my sister's house on the weekend they had Lifetime Real Women added to the lineup while Dish never adds anything. They pay like $45.99 for their package and with Dish to get the same channels like GAC, SoapNet, and even Hallmark costs $52.99. I could see paying a price increase with Dish if they would give us some additional channels. People are still waiting on Oxygen!!

Also they still haven't added the other networks ABC, NBC, and Fox in HD like Directv has. Who knows if they ever will.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:43 AM

CSTV is still being uplinked but is not available. All the rest (ie Oxygen) was removed from the satellites a long time ago.

#3 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:51 AM

Cable adds channels all the time and RAISES prices ALL the time.....we all have choices, vote with your feet if your unhappy with your current vendor. The more people that do it, the more competitive things will be. Depending on what you subscribe to and where you live cable may be a better or worse alternative than Dish, or Direct may be better.....I say vote with your wallet, and tell them why you're changing vendors if you like the other alternatives better.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:52 AM

Some other products reduce quantity while keeping price the same, in order to increase their profit... like if you look closely on the OZ markings on cans or bags of food at the grocery store... you'll notice sometimes a slight dip in amount of product but the price stays the same.

Commercial TV over the years has increased commercial time and decreased programming time over the years during the more popular time slots in order to get more revenue.

Price going up without adding product is how companies increase their profits... the alternative is to drop expenses (by dropping channels or firing employees).

Most folks want annual raises, for instance... but don't want to pay more for anything... How could we all get annual raises if prices didn't go up?

#5 OFFLINE   socceteer

socceteer

Icon

• Registered
  • 558 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:03 AM

Some other products reduce quantity while keeping price the same, in order to increase their profit... like if you look closely on the OZ markings on cans or bags of food at the grocery store... you'll notice sometimes a slight dip in amount of product but the price stays the same.

Commercial TV over the years has increased commercial time and decreased programming time over the years during the more popular time slots in order to get more revenue.

Price going up without adding product is how companies increase their profits... the alternative is to drop expenses (by dropping channels or firing employees).

Most folks want annual raises, for instance... but don't want to pay more for anything... How could we all get annual raises if prices didn't go up?

Good point but what happened to charging the advertisers more ...? at least divide the cost between the consumer and the advertiser. If the price to watch TV is too high, you will loose consumers who can't afford it or refuse to pay for it, then advertising to a non existing audience is stupid
DVR 622 , DVR 510, HDTV 811
Satelites: 110,119,148,129 Switch 44

#6 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:06 AM

I think Dish has made too many mistakes in the past and now are having to clean up messes like stopping their 2 dish locals and then trying to get money to expand HD to keep up with Directv. They are raising our prices with nothing in return to clean up things because of being so disorganized in the beginning.

#7 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,158 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:27 AM

After all they've actually been a profitable company for something like, what, two years now I belive? Must be they're doing something right, not that you'd ever guess that if you pay attention to everyone that gripes about their service here! :lol: I certainly agree, if you don't like your current TV programming provider, the only real way to send a message is to switch. $$$ talks and that's one thing Charlie does seem to pay attention to!

#8 OFFLINE   jtravel

jtravel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:27 AM

Last Time I ran the numbers Direct TV and cable were no cheaper than Dish service.
I think Dish delivers a solid product for the fee they charge.
The cost of doing business keeps going up and retailers have no choice but to pass that cost on to consumers.
As others have said if you don't belive your receiving a good value vote with your wallet and move on to a provider who gives you the value you expect.

#9 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:59 PM

What is the deal with Dish Network? They raise our prices by $3 then don't give us any new channels

What's the deal with my local gas station. They keep raising our prices by $.20 then don't give us any more gas then they use to.

It's called inflation (and rising service prices). It's the wave of the future. Get over it.

#10 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 02:58 PM

What's the deal with my local gas station. They keep raising our prices by $.20 then don't give us any more gas then they use to.

It's called inflation (and rising service prices). It's the wave of the future. Get over it.

No, in the case of gas stations it's called price gouging. They will instantly raise their price based on news of supply being more expensive, but when news comes out about the price going down, they won't lower the pump price at least till they replenish at a lower price. But, in a free market as long as demand is there, they can charge whatever they think they can get away with.
http://www.pepper.net/(my personal noncommercial site)
ViP622-DVR L445RBDD-N, DishHDGold+Mobile/Pcola_Locals+SkyAngel4Life
MRX1000 and Primestar oval dish on SG2100 for FTA

#11 OFFLINE   garypen

garypen

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 05:15 PM

It's not the stations doing the gouging, in most cases. It's the oil companies. But, it is just a tad off-topic, either way.

Originally posted by WeeJavaDude
I have to agree with Gary.
Originally posted by Jacob S
Originally posted by Randall DBS
Yep you know it. I have to agree with Gary.

#12 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 05:31 PM

No, in the case of gas stations it's called price gouging. They will instantly raise their price based on news of supply being more expensive, but when news comes out about the price going down, they won't lower the pump price at least till they replenish at a lower price. But, in a free market as long as demand is there, they can charge whatever they think they can get away with.

Yeah, I know, I just filled up for $2.37 per gallon. What the hell!

Seriously though, prices go up. If $3 means that much in the scope of your monthly disposable income, you really need to reevaluate your spending and/or income.
KL

#13 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:08 AM

It's not the stations doing the gouging, in most cases. It's the oil companies.

The BP station on the corner is $2.22 this week. The same guy owns the BP station by the interstate. There he's charging $2.39.

As I told my friend the police chief yesterday, I witnessed an unarmed robbery on Sunday when I saw a tourist filling up at the interstate station.

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,722 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:38 AM

The prices vary so much that it's hard to track. Sometimes in this area the station near the interstate is cheaper. Competition does that, plus volume. As noted: the stations are not making a lot of money off of gasoline. They make much more on the snacks.

Perhaps they should give a discount if you pay inside and buy other stuff?

As far a new channels go, we could use a "cheap gas" interactive channel that would show gas prices in an area. Or perhaps a new reality channel showing bounty hunters tracking down drive-offs. I live in a city where all thefts are prosecuted as felonies, including a pack of cigarettes from the supermarket.

Hopefully as the Gulf oil platforms reopen we can get a bump back down.

JL

#15 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:49 AM

Free preview of Alpha ETC Punjabi - channels 622 / 807 (148/61.5 / 121) .. starting tomorrow or Thursday :)

#16 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:21 PM

Some people say that cucumbers taste better pickled.
KL

#17 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:10 PM

Where some prefer regular ones (that sell by the pound), ...and others - Long English ones (that are sold by the piece). ;-)

#18 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:41 PM

:lol:
KL

#19 OFFLINE   garypen

garypen

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 06:20 PM

Where some prefer regular ones (that sell by the pound), ...and others - Long English ones (that are sold by the piece). ;-)

Does this have something to do with that LOGO channel?

Originally posted by WeeJavaDude
Originally posted by Jacob S
Originally posted by Randall DBS
Yep you know it. I have to agree with Gary.

#20 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:01 PM

... or something with one's wife has to vouch for on occasion, while other's talks all the time about some no rearend server thingy ...or something like that?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...