Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SF Bay Area CBS-HD Waiver

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Big D

Big D

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:02 PM

A couple of months ago, CBS completed it's purchase of KOVR (CBS) from Sinclair in the Sacramento area, making KOVR an O&O station. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and our CBS station is O&O by CBS, however when I tried in the past to get the CBS-HD distant channel added to my service, E* always wanted a waiver from KOVR in Sacramento because it is a white area.

Now with the Sacramento and San Francisco stations both owned and operated by CBS, we should be able to get the feed without the need for a waiver, has anyone been successful it doing this? Has anyone tried recently? All I get from E* is that a waiver is still needed and they have not been informed of the change in ownership.
Big D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:48 PM

I get get the CBS-HD L.A. no problem, and I live in the same market, and I get KPIX locally. When they told me that I needed a waiver, i just said, "Okay, could you please get me a waiver?". I took them five of ten minues to do it while I was on hold. Don't know what they did, although the CSR had to go through a couple of levels of more experienced CSRs before he figured out how to do it.

#3 OFFLINE   Big D

Big D

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:54 PM

I get get the CBS-HD L.A. no problem, and I live in the same market, and I get KPIX locally. When they told me that I needed a waiver, i just said, "Okay, could you please get me a waiver?". I took them five of ten minues to do it while I was on hold. Don't know what they did, although the CSR had to go through a couple of levels of more experienced CSRs before he figured out how to do it.

When did you do this, since the change of ownership in Sacramento or before?
Big D

#4 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 03:20 PM

When did you do this, since the change of ownership in Sacramento or before?

I asked them for the waiver about a year ago if I remember correctly.

#5 OFFLINE   Big D

Big D

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 03:49 PM

Yea, you were just one of the lucky ones who got it before E* knew better back when. Does not help us with what is going on now, but thanks anyway.
Big D

#6 OFFLINE   Paradox-sj

Paradox-sj

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 05:19 PM

I just told them to look at the requirments on the E* web site and asked them YES or NO questions as to how it apply to me.

At the end of the call I had CBS EAST and WEST truned on...

#7 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 06:15 PM

You just have to play CSR roulette until you get what you want. That is what I did, I think I only had to call two times.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...