Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish -- older equipment -- what to do?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mlcarson

mlcarson

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 01:57 PM

I was a long time dish subscriber before my last move. I was one of the original E2000 customers (still own 2 of them) and purchased a used E6000 for HD after getting a new HD set over a year ago. Right after receiving the E6000, I moved and never activated it due to a deal that was going on local cable. I've now moved again and want to go back to Dish.

I understand that Dish has had some kind of card swapout and all of my equipment still has the original blue cards (and was never hacked). So, is any of this equipment still usable? There's no mention of it on the website but I'd think that at least the E6000 would still work. My old account if Dish keeps records back more than a year or two would only have the E2000's on it and at a different address. Should I just have them create a new account and transfer the E6000 on it (assuming it still works) or am I forced into getting a new HD receiver.

It appears that I'd be better off just dumping all of the old equipment, pretending that I've never subscribed to Dish, and sign up as a new subscriber. I could then get a new 811 with the Digital Home Plan and a 12 mo commitment. If I read the offer right, that's no installation or equipment charges. Any reason not to do that or would Dish's historical database still flag me as a returning customer even with a different address?

#2 OFFLINE   nsafreak

nsafreak

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:53 PM

I'm not sure but your E2000 receivers may not work period with the new smart cards. Some of the 2000 series (I think) are simply not compatible with the new smart cards and in order to get the programming that requires those cards folks have to get newer model receivers. The E6000 receiver should work fine however once you get a new yellow smart card from Dish for it.

#3 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:45 AM

As long as you have been gone at least 6mos, didn't leave w/ an outstanding balance, qualify for the credit criteria again and you sign up for a two year agreement. You'll get all new equipment, free installation and whatever the latest deal is just as if you were a first time customer.

#4 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:19 PM

I would try signing up as a new customer as long as you have a new address and phone number and you never gave DISH your social security number you will probably pass as a new customer. The software on the 6000 maybe so old that it won't work. If the software on the 6000 will update it will work withn the new cards.

spam firewall