Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Minor annoyance with 921 playback/stop/start new playback

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Skyburn

Skyburn

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:39 AM

I've seen an intermittent, although oft-encountered, problem with my 921, seemingly since 215.

Reproduce:

. DVR menu - then highlight a program, select Start Over.
. Watch above program; at end, hit the stop button on the remote.
. Back at the DVR menu, select previously watched program, and erase it.
. When erase is finished, select another program to start playback, select Start Over.
. At this point, my 921 sits there for upwards of 30 seconds...sometimes longer. Finally it gets going and starts playback of program #2.

I've learned to just wait for it to start playing, but when it first happened, it was so odd, that I started doing things like hitting "Cancel" on the remote and the Guide button because I thought it just wasn't taking the command to start over. I even when so far as to hit the power button to put the 921 in standby then turn it back on. In any case (cancel/guide/standby), the program eventually starts playback. Seems odd. Maybe this has been posted before, sorry for that if it has.

- Joe

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:13 PM

... my 921 sits there for upwards of 30 seconds...sometimes longer. ...

I first noticed this issue after the L213 update. Though I haven’t had it happen since getting L215, it sounds like it is still with us. :rolleyes:

#3 OFFLINE   dishbacker

dishbacker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 07:03 PM

I've done 2 power button reboots this weekend due to the slow response in the DVR menu as described above by Skyburn. It showed up every once in a while with L213 and has shown up a lot more frequent with L215.
942 user 1/22/06 L288
622 user 9/30/2006 L365
DPP Twin LNB for 110/119 / DP Dual for 129
Sony 42in LCD RPTV
Pioneer VSX-D810S Receiver

#4 OFFLINE   lpickup

lpickup

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:21 AM

Oh, thank you for posting this! I have had this problem forever (okay, let me define forever--I've noticed it happening for at least the past 9 months). I can confirm that it is happening at L215 (it just happened last night) and it happened well before L213. I have never been able to determine the pattern as to when this happens or not--it appeared intermittent to me, but perhaps it is triggered by erasing a program as is described above. By the way, for me, it doesn't matter whether you Start Over or Resume. You get the delay either way.

I called this in one time (as part of a long list of complaints) and I was told it was a normal delay in accessing the program (even though at other times there is no delay!)

Very annoying for sure!

...Lance Pickup

#5 OFFLINE   Allen Noland

Allen Noland

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:39 AM

I've seen an intermittent, although oft-encountered, problem with my 921, seemingly since 215.

Reproduce:

. DVR menu - then highlight a program, select Start Over.
. Watch above program; at end, hit the stop button on the remote.
. Back at the DVR menu, select previously watched program, and erase it.
. When erase is finished, select another program to start playback, select Start Over.
. At this point, my 921 sits there for upwards of 30 seconds...sometimes longer. Finally it gets going and starts playback of program #2.

I've learned to just wait for it to start playing, but when it first happened, it was so odd, that I started doing things like hitting "Cancel" on the remote and the Guide button because I thought it just wasn't taking the command to start over. I even when so far as to hit the power button to put the 921 in standby then turn it back on. In any case (cancel/guide/standby), the program eventually starts playback. Seems odd. Maybe this has been posted before, sorry for that if it has.

- Joe

If I can duplicate it tonight I will send it in as a bug on the current beta.
Allen

#6 OFFLINE   leemathre

leemathre

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:47 AM

This is very dificult to duplicate since it is very random. I see it everyday on each of my 921's, but I never know when it will happen. Also, I have never seen it happen more than once per session. It started happening under L213 and was reported in several threads. The difference now, is that the delay seems to be shorter under L215.
4 Dish ViP 622's; Dish1000+ =110/118.7/119/129; DPP44 X 2; Four DPP Separators

#7 OFFLINE   Allen Noland

Allen Noland

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:07 AM

This is very dificult to duplicate since it is very random. I see it everyday on each of my 921's, but I never know when it will happen. Also, I have never seen it happen more than once per session. It started happening under L213 and was reported in several threads. The difference now, is that the delay seems to be shorter under L215.

Let me ask this. Are you deleting an SD or HD program?
Allen

#8 OFFLINE   leemathre

leemathre

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:11 AM

For me, it is always SD.

#9 OFFLINE   Allen Noland

Allen Noland

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:16 AM

Are there any timers recording when this happens?
Allen

#10 OFFLINE   leemathre

leemathre

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:19 AM

Not for me. I seldom watch a recorded program while I am recording another. Not that I do that intentionally, it just works out that way most of the time.

#11 OFFLINE   lpickup

lpickup

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 12:26 PM

Are there any timers recording when this happens?

Not usually in my case.

...Lance Pickup

#12 OFFLINE   Allen Noland

Allen Noland

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:34 PM

I haven't ever seen this happen. And I often do watch several episodes in a sitting. Meaning, I'll record several episodes of a program and watch 3 or 4 in an evening. I almost always delete an episode when I'm done watching it, then immediately start the next episode.

But I will keep an eye out for his problem.
Allen

#13 OFFLINE   lpickup

lpickup

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:10 PM

But I will keep an eye out for his problem.

Thanks Allen. It's not something you can miss! Whenver it happens my first instinct is that the UHF remote simply did not register--but repeated attempts yield nothing. BTW: the receiver does appear to queue whatever key presses you have done, so, for example, if you hit Guide or DVR or any other button that actually does something while viewing a program, it will do it immediately after starting the program. Therefore I have become accustomed to just hitting Select and maybe up/down to test whether it simply didn't receive the remote code or whether it's in its "delay" mood.

...Lance Pickup

#14 OFFLINE   Skyburn

Skyburn

Cool Member/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:10 PM

Let me ask this. Are you deleting an SD or HD program?

In the most recent case, I had 4 episodes of Jeopardy (SD) that I sat down to watch. On at least 2 occasions when doing stop-erase-SelectTheNextOne-StartOver, the DVR menu hung for 30-45 seconds, then started the playback.

As far as I know (for sure this last time) I don't/didn't have anything recording in the background.

Haven't paid enough attention in the past (except this last time) to whether the recordings I was watching/erasing were SD or HD, but I record mostly SD, so I'd say it's probably mostly SD.

#15 OFFLINE   Skyburn

Skyburn

Cool Member/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:22 PM

Also, like has been said, this is pretty intermittent for me. Even with my 4-episodes-of-Jeopardy sitting, it happened a couple of times, but not every time.

#16 OFFLINE   lpickup

lpickup

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:55 PM

Here is some good hard data on this problem...repeatedly happened to me tonight:

1) The receiver started in Standby (okay, I've started putting it into Standby more often). No events were recording.

2) I turned on the receiver and hit DVR and selected a program to watch. In case it matters, the program was from the end of April/early May: 4/28-5/4 timeframe (sorry, wasn't paying close attention to the date).

3) The program was protected. My choices were Resume or Start Over. I hit Start Over. >30 second delay before the program started.

So note that this was NOT preceded by a program erase. It was literally the first thing I did after turning the receiver on.

After watching this program, I erased it and went to another program, hit Start Over and got another delay.

And now here's a new one:

By the time I was finished watching my shows, a timer fired. It's probably a CSI:Miami timer, but the show recording was Rock Star:INXS. Since I didn't want this program, I went to DVR, selected the recording program, and hit Stop. Delay (I don't usually see it here, but I also don't do this often). After about 30 seconds, the unit finally responded and the recording was stopped.

...Lance Pickup

#17 OFFLINE   dishbacker

dishbacker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:20 PM

Thanks Allen. It's not something you can miss! Whenver it happens my first instinct is that the UHF remote simply did not register--but repeated attempts yield nothing. BTW: the receiver does appear to queue whatever key presses you have done, so, for example, if you hit Guide or DVR or any other button that actually does something while viewing a program, it will do it immediately after starting the program. Therefore I have become accustomed to just hitting Select and maybe up/down to test whether it simply didn't receive the remote code or whether it's in its "delay" mood.

...Lance Pickup

Same behavior here... commands queue up. After about 30 seconds the box starts to respond and bounces through the commands.

I think this has something to do with using the stop button on the remote instead of letting a program run till its end (or f-fwd to the end) and then doing some erase operation.
942 user 1/22/06 L288
622 user 9/30/2006 L365
DPP Twin LNB for 110/119 / DP Dual for 129
Sony 42in LCD RPTV
Pioneer VSX-D810S Receiver

#18 OFFLINE   Skyburn

Skyburn

Cool Member/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:36 PM

Same behavior here... commands queue up. After about 30 seconds the box starts to respond and bounces through the commands.

I think this has something to do with using the stop button on the remote instead of letting a program run till its end (or f-fwd to the end) and then doing some erase operation.

Good point - I think I've only seen this happen after I actually hit the Stop button on the remote -- something I do often, right after the show is over, but before the end of the recording. It always stops right away and comes back to the DVR menu, but then the erase/select/start over sequence leads to the long delay before the next recording starts playback.

I'll try to let the recordings go to the end and stop on their own in the interest of data gathering and see if that stops the problem.

#19 OFFLINE   lpickup

lpickup

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:20 PM

I woulda believed this except read my post tonight. I got the delay after merely bringing the receiver out of standby, hitting DVR, selecting my program and hitting Start Over. I didn't hit Stop at all.

...Lance Pickup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...