Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Low/lost signal during the daytime

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Did you have "lost signal" problems during the daytime with returning it at evening? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you have "lost signal" problems during the daytime with returning it at evening?

1. Yes (8 votes [24.24%])

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

2. No (25 votes [75.76%])

Percentage of vote: 75.76%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   galka

galka

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:56 PM

How many of you recently have "lost signal" problems during the daytime with returning the signal at evenings? Please list model of your dish, receiver, the date your system was installed and the date you start to have problems. In case there are a lot of customers with the same problem we should ask Dish Network to resolve this problem without paying for their repair service.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   zmark

zmark

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 05:21 PM

Umm.. Isn't this usually caused by trees moving slightly to catch some rays during the day? Try doing a little trimming in your backyard before bugging DishNetwork.

#3 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 05:34 PM

2 301 receivers , superdish 121, system installed 3 years ago, superdish 1 1/2 years ago, loosing sat 119 tp 4, 10, 16, there may be more but these are repeatedly going out during the day and returning in the late afternoon. Today was a cloudy but hot day and did not have any problems, I do not have any tree problems, if it was tree related the whole sat would go out not just several tp's

Bob

#4 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:54 PM

Umm.. Isn't this usually caused by trees moving slightly to catch some rays during the day? Try doing a little trimming in your backyard before bugging DishNetwork.

Oh I'm sure that's it. Well, except for the fact that there aren't any trees there and it goes away when I cool down the LNB with a water hose. Other then that, you have a good point. :rolleyes:

Trees move some during the day. They don't move so much that it goes away day after a day, only during the day, and only for specific times.

For me, my signal strength is 80 for 121 (the problem LNB). Originally a check switch would always detect both polarities. But during the last two days during the outage period, it will only detect the odd polarity. Between 8-9 it goes out and use to come back around 5-6 (+/- an hour or two depending on the weather). Yesterday and today it went out for good overnight although it appears to have come back on right now. A storm did come through and caused a massive drop in temperature in a very short period (-25 degrees in less then 10 minutes).

My receiver is a 510. My dish is a metal 121 superdish and only the 121 LNB is failing. Both were installed approximately Feb of 2004. I've been having this problem since around June 26th.

I have a friend that is having very similar problems. Same timeframe for install and problems. Same dish. They have two 301 receivers though.

Good luck with Dish to acknowledge a problem. A handful out of a 10 million installs isn't a problem. Statistically it's almost guaranteed that there would be even more people having this problem then what we know of. Just suck it up and pay the $35 to have it fixed. My service call is scheduled for Friday morning. I might have to postpone hooking up my new 522 until after that call...

#5 OFFLINE   RusH

RusH

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:47 PM

I had the problem before. TWICE!

New LNB took care of it each time. I payed.

#6 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:36 AM

Not meaning to steal Scott's thunder but he mentions here that Dish might be aware of faulty FSS lnbs, possibly with P310, P311, & P312 lot numbers. Some service centers are swapping the assemblies he says. Take it with a grain of NaCl as I don't think it's confirmed yet.

#7 OFFLINE   galka

galka

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for all comments. My service call is on Friday afternoon, I will make shure to take a look at defective LNB serial and lot numbers and will make a photo of it. So, if the problem is in LNB, I think, Dish Network should replace it for free. I'll had to file a complaint to BBB, if Dish will not return me my money.
By the way, cooling the dish with water helps, so it is definitely temperature issues.

#8 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:06 PM

I'll had to file a complaint to BBB, if Dish will not return me my money.

The BBB is a useless organization for complaint resolution. All Dish would have to do, if they even care about it, is to tell the BBB that they are investigating the claim and turn around and deny the claim for it to be "resolved".

#9 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:21 PM

It may be worth while for us to provide some data. My signals are as good during light as during dark. All my dishes are metal and are aimed as perfectly as possible. Satellites are 100 unobstructed. Heat/cold do not affect my LNB performance. I have my DPP44's/DP34 under eaves in shaded areas.

#10 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:31 PM

Not meaning to steal Scott's thunder but he mentions here that Dish might be aware of faulty FSS lnbs, possibly with P310, P311, & P312 lot numbers. Some service centers are swapping the assemblies he says. Take it with a grain of NaCl as I don't think it's confirmed yet.

How or where can one determine lot numbers, is it written on the lnb assembly somewhere.

Bob

#11 OFFLINE   QasDishGuy

QasDishGuy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:49 PM

Most of the time the lot number is in the bottom right hand corner of the "port" side of the LNB, if it were attached to a dish it would be right above the 110 marker on the plastic Y piece.

Heat sinks are the #1 reason for recalled equipment, the only known LNB that was fully deployed before a recall took force was the Channell Master DP Twin LNB, most often indicated with a C lot number and the "port" side was curved instead of flat.
Most recalls happen before very many of the LNB's go out.

edit: The only known LNB (known to me)

#12 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:16 AM

I had to replace a 110 lnbf recently because it was losing transponder 18 during the daytime when it would get hot and then the signal would come back at night. That fixed the problem. I have the lnbf sitting at my house and yet to charge the customer for it. These things are not cheap. The customer is aware of having to pay for the part which I quoted $50-100 since I would probably have to purchase the whole lnbf cluster of three (105, 110, 119) in order to get the one lnbf. It came off of one of the earliest SuperDishes I installed a year or so ago when they were still plastic. It is Lot P311. I already had USPS lose a DP-34 switch I had to replace earlier this year, I just cannot afford to replace this stuff for nothing with the risk involved with having the service call done, shipping costs, etc. especially since the system is out of warranty.

The last time I talked to Dish Network about a problem with their stuff their advanced technician claimed that they dont have bad refurb receivers, that there is nothing wrong with them. She was stubborn and hard to talk to even though I had three receivers go bad (two refurbs) insisting it was something else than a receiver going bad. I am about fed up with Dish Network's reliability issues and them wanting to blame me as if I do not know what I am doing after doing this type of work for almost 7 years.

Dish Network needs to do something about this before they lose a lot of subscribers to DirecTv which do not need such expensive hardware, such large dishes, big external switches sensitive to moisture and such complex setups to get the local channels.

#13 OFFLINE   QasDishGuy

QasDishGuy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:32 AM

If it helps any, there are rumors that things are in motion to eliminate all must carry and superdish solutions by the end of 2007. Look at the last update, a lot of local channels were added to the 119 orbit, I'd stay tuned.

Oh, and DTV has some horrid sense of humor with their local rollout in Waco, wanna talk about nightmare local setups try a two dish DTV solution. Neither Dish or DTV has a good idea when it comes to "2nd dish" local solutions, but both do what is necessary to provide locals *now* not in 2007.

And on a plus note, Superdish signals last longer in the rain - much longer.

#14 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:39 AM

Most of the time the lot number is in the bottom right hand corner of the "port" side of the LNB, if it were attached to a dish it would be right above the 110 marker on the plastic Y piece.

Thanks, I was trying to locate the lot number on a superdish lnb set up, I see where the individual lnb's have lot numbers, but is there a lot number for the assembly, i.e., where would I find 311 if I had one.

Bob

#15 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:22 AM

Here's a photo of my (faulty) 121 lnb that shows where the lot number is. I called Dish last Friday to see if there was any truth to the rumor that they knew of the faulty batches and were replacing them free and the CSR I spoke with hadn't heard anything. But then again, calling at 11:45 on a Friday night probably doesn't get you the cream of the crop.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF3050t.JPG

#16 OFFLINE   BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:36 AM

I didn't respond to the poll, because the problem with my Dish 311 receiver doesn't exactly fit your question. It looses its signal constantly after being left in the power off state (still plugged in) overnight. It's frustrating.

This receiver is one of two in my household (my other is a DVR 522). I have a Superdish. I have no similar problems with loosing my signal on the 522 (except for the normal rain-fade during heavy thunderstorms).

Unplugging the 311 and waiting a few minutes always resolves the problem. However, it's time consuming because I have to do wait for it to acquire the signal, and then do a switch test to force a guide update so that my locals are acquired. :mad:

Since SBC is my service provider, I have to call for service (though I suspect that Dish agents actually take the calls). I prefer sending an e-mail with a detailed explanation of the problem; however, SBC always responds by e-mail that I have to call because of the technical nature of the problem.

Maybe so, but it's an aggravation to sort your way through the SBC phone maze of options. Beware of the pitfalls that lie ahead if you choose the wrong option! !danger: You may find yourself pleading for Dish tech support with an SBC DSL tech support agent in India who doesn't speak English. "Dish? No sir, we don't sell dishes. Did you try resetting your modem?" Arrghhhh! :icon_dumm

#17 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:12 PM

cdru, thanks for the lot info, I have 2 301's and a 121 superdish,all self installed, over the last several days I have been loosing several tp's (4/10/16) on the 119 sat. during the heat of the day (100 degrees) and they always returned in early afternoon, I went to the local dish retailer and they sold me a new lnb assembly for $75.00, don't know if this is a good price, but they are the only game in my area, this morning I went to replace the assy, upon removing the shroud cover I was greated with a loaded wasp nest, sprayed them, all but one who kept buzzing me, and thought the nest may be my problem but it was not in an area that would of blocked any signal, while I had it apart I changed the lnb's and so far everything is working fine, except that today it is cloudy and only 87 degrees, time will tell, the lot number on my original lnb was P45, the new lot number was 503

Bob

#18 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:01 PM

What local markets did you get workd on that was already launched to 119? I thought that 110 was the one that got the spotbeams for local market additions. It does not add up. It would be really nice to be able to get them from a small dish but I do not see that happening for a LONG time if ever since another company would probably drive them out of business before they implement new technologies allowing breakthroughs to get the dishes smaller and more badwidth.

#19 OFFLINE   QasDishGuy

QasDishGuy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:58 AM

Superdish LNB's pose a new set of problems, and those LNB's are generally less likely to have a problem or go out. The most common problem is the switch the LNBs are attached to. Installers leaving the stingers too long, poking holes in the plastic as they try to attach them, and a few faulty switches here and there.
I love my superdish, and wouldnt go back to a Dish500 for anything, but I live in a M/C market (148) so still have to have another dish for that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...