Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish's "secret package" in the Twilight Zone

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   arjay

arjay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 July 2002 - 04:49 PM

DBSForums is freezing up repeatedly and I can't access it now. Before it froze I posted the following to a thread I had started:

Here's the thread URL:

http://www.dbsforums...t=003025#000021

Here's the update:

An interesting update!
I contacted Dish on June 26 and was told that a work order was indeed in place to cancel my service on July 6. I cancelled the work order so I could make a change to my account.

After swapping the coax from my Dish 501 to my JVC
DSR-100u combo receiver/digital VCR I deactivated the 501 (without the coax to signal the deactivation all my recordings remain preserved if they otherwise wouldn't have been!) and activated the JVC receiver as the second receiver on my account.

Yesterday, July 6, I called Dish to cancel my account.

Here's where it gets interesting!

I was told about a "secret" programming package which Dish offers to retain "low rollers". I'd never seen a reference to it before. Supposedly it's good for 6 months after which, if not cancelled, it will revert to the standard AT-50 bottom end package @ $23. monthly.

The "secret" package is called the "Essentials Package". It offers 12 channels for $10. monthly. The 12 channels are:

HGTV--Chan. 112
MTV2--161
Cartoon net.--176
Discovery--182
CNN--200
Hdline News--202
C-SPAN--210
C-SPAN2--212
Weather--214
HSN--222
QVC--226
TBS--230

I said OK to "Essentials" and didn't cancel my service. I deactivated the JVC receiver and all other services including L.A. locals.

Here's where we enter the "Twilight Zone"!

Today, I turned on the satellite stuff and what do I find? I'm getting every channel Dish offers, except for PPV's and the foreign specialty stuff, including Superstations and the L.A. locals. All this split between both receivers with a few duplications!

Y'know what? I don't care. If it stays, fine. If it doesn't, so what; I don't watch much TV anyway.
CNN, TBS, and Discovery for $10. a month would be fine!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 07 July 2002 - 04:58 PM

OMG....:eek: Thats some story. Only thing I've got to say is "Lucky You", just be ready if they catch there 'boo boo' :)
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#3 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 07 July 2002 - 05:26 PM

/incognito mode on/:D I sold a model 5000 to a customer about 3 years ago that had been my showfloor unit. I transferred my showroom package to another unit and set him up with AT100 plus HBO. He has been receiving my showroom package (everything except the expected deletions) since. He receives his normal pacckage on his second receiver. He is very happy, even though he rarely watches the extras he receives. /incognito mode off/
Can anyone tell who I am? :D By the way, where is cognito anyway?
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#4 OFFLINE   arjay

arjay

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 July 2002 - 06:57 PM

Originally posted by Rking401
I sold a model 5000 to a customer about 3 years ago that had been my showfloor unit. I transferred my showroom package to another unit and set him up with AT100 plus HBO. He has been receiving my showroom package (everything except the expected deletions) since. He receives his normal pacckage on his second receiver.

Interesting. My primary receiver is a 7200 which I bought from a dealer. It originally had the dealer's showroom package.

I enjoyed getting all Dish's channels for a week and then activated the 7200 on my account with AT-100 and Starz!. That's what I got--until the next day when the showroom package returned!

Since then I added a 501 and L.A. locals to my account. The 501 got the packages I subscribed to while the 7200 got the whole enchilada. Since I don't watch much TV I didn't want to continue paying the $55. monthly Dish bill for AT-100, Starz!, L.A. locals and the second receiver fee. I planned to end the service completely (realizing there was a 50-50 chance that the 7200 might continue to get the showroom package.)

The "Essentials Package" seemed like a pretty good deal so I took it instead of cancelling service. I half expected the 7200 might continue to receive the whole showroom package. The big surprise is that the showroom package (with a few duplications) is now split across both the 7200 and the JVC receiver which was supposed to be deactivated!

#5 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 07 July 2002 - 08:34 PM

What do u mean it is split with a few duplications? That you get half the channels on one receiver and the other half of the channels on the other receiver? This is very strange.

#6 OFFLINE   arjay

arjay

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 July 2002 - 09:16 PM

Originally posted by Jacob S
....you get half the channels on one receiver and the other half of the channels on the other receiver? This is very strange.

Exactly! Very strange indeed!

#7 OFFLINE   STXJim

STXJim

Legend in my own mind

• Registered
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 July 2002 - 09:35 PM

By the way, where is cognito anyway?

Can I take a guess?
The Motor City?:shrug: ;)

#8 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,189 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 08 July 2002 - 10:51 AM

" By the way, where is cognito anyway?"

Cognito is not a place, but a state of intense higher consciousness.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 12:06 PM

I had a 5000 I bought at a salvage store that was in a Costco warehouse - it had the showroom package. I dumped the 5000 for a 501, so I lost it, but it was cool to have the movies for a year or more.
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#10 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 12:30 PM

Cognito is not a place, but a state

Is that next door to New Jersey?
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#11 OFFLINE   jrjcd

jrjcd

Arcane Movie Trivia King

• Gold Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 06:45 AM

what WOULD be imteresting if this happened to someone and got ALL the locals cleared...lol
jrjcd(jack)-

"I've got a FEVER...and the ONLY prescription for it is MORE COWBELL!!!!"
Lengendary record producer Bruce Dickinson

#12 OFFLINE   RJS1111111

RJS1111111

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 09:09 AM

...if offered at no extra charge!

#13 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 10:07 AM

Can you get other programming with this package. For example, can you subscribe to movie packages?

Currently have AT50 + showtime. I'd like this cheap package as I'd rather use the savings for Starz.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

spam firewall