Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2 Dish Superdish Solution - Help Please

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pulltab

pulltab

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 12:14 AM

Here is my setup...

Customer cannot have a Superdish (size, location, etc).....but 2 DISH SOLUTION has been prescribed..... 110, 119 and 121 (Indian Channels)

Equipment:

1 - DISH 500 WITH DPP+ (Funky) (easily hitting the 110 and 119 and peaked)

1 - DISH 500 with STANDARD DUAL ...and running single RG-6 from this dish to 3rd "LNB IN" on Funky LNB on DISH 500. (and pointed at 121, no signal)

I should get SUPERDISH (110, 119,121) with this setup???? right... powering only a single 811 hi def..... I have the coordinates to locate the 121, but no success as of yet.

Any "tweaks" to check on the receiver side? (check switch, Superdish button, etc)

Living in San Diego area, clear sky, no trees.....have been told by cronies that it will be difficult to distinguish between the 119 and 121, but to have patience.

Trying to complete this for tomorrow morning......(finish it up)

Thanks in advance for you help....
Edit/Delete Message

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   nsafreak

nsafreak

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 12:50 AM

Here is my setup...

Customer cannot have a Superdish (size, location, etc).....but 2 DISH SOLUTION has been prescribed..... 110, 119 and 121 (Indian Channels)

Equipment:

1 - DISH 500 WITH DPP+ (Funky) (easily hitting the 110 and 119 and peaked)

1 - DISH 500 with STANDARD DUAL ...and running single RG-6 from this dish to 3rd "LNB IN" on Funky LNB on DISH 500. (and pointed at 121, no signal)

I should get SUPERDISH (110, 119,121) with this setup???? right... powering only a single 811 hi def..... I have the coordinates to locate the 121, but no success as of yet.

Any "tweaks" to check on the receiver side? (check switch, Superdish button, etc)

Living in San Diego area, clear sky, no trees.....have been told by cronies that it will be difficult to distinguish between the 119 and 121, but to have patience.

Trying to complete this for tomorrow morning......(finish it up)

Thanks in advance for you help....
Edit/Delete Message

Sorry to say but it's not going to work for a couple of reasons:

1) The signal coming from the satellites at 105 & 121 is on the Ka band while your standard D500 LNBF picks up signals on the Ku band. There are Ka band single LNBs but I'm doubtful that they would work paired with a DPP Twin.

2) The signal from 105 & 121 is significantly weaker than the signal coming from the other satellite locations. You need to have a dish at least 36" in diameter in order to pick it up.

So if your customer really wants those stations on the SuperDish they'll need to have one installed.

#3 OFFLINE   galka

galka

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:42 AM

International programming is available at 61.5 and 148 (check with Dish site first, which one is picking up Indian channels), it should be easy to point second dish to those satellites. No need in big dish.

#4 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:00 AM

1) The signal coming from the satellites at 105 & 121 is on the Ka band while your standard D500 LNBF picks up signals on the Ku band. There are Ka band single LNBs but I'm doubtful that they would work paired with a DPP Twin.

2) The signal from 105 & 121 is significantly weaker than the signal coming from the other satellite locations. You need to have a dish at least 36" in diameter in order to pick it up.

1) The signals at 105 and 121 are KuFSS. The signals on 110 and 119 are currently all KuDBS(different band).

2) The signals from 105 and 121 are weaker, but the reason a larger dish is required is to provide a more focused reception pattern. This is required due to the 2 degree spacing of satellites in the KuFSS band as opposed to the 4.5-10 degree spacing of satellites in the KuDBS band.

Note: It is doubtfull that a standard KuFSS LNBF will work with the DPP Twin, it should work with a Legacy twin and SW21 cascade.

#5 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:28 AM

Note: It is doubtfull that a standard KuFSS LNBF will work with the DPP Twin, it should work with a Legacy twin and SW21 cascade.

You can not cascade a DP LNBF and a Legacy switch.

Easiest solution...

Use all legacy equipment. The 121 is harder to hit with a smaller dish though. When you use a SuperDish it would be peaked for the 121. If you can find an old primestar dish it would work OK. Legacy equipment (preferrably with the primestar dish for the 121) is the way you will need to go.
KL

#6 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:37 AM

International programming is available at 61.5 and 148 (check with Dish site first, which one is picking up Indian channels), it should be easy to point second dish to those satellites. No need in big dish.

There are quite a few international channels that are only on 121 and not available on 61.5 or 148. Below is a list of the abbreviated channel names that are only available on 121 and not on other satellites. To get the full name, you can look them here.

ABNAM, ALARA, AMDES, ARMTV, ARYOW, ASIFM, BEJTV, CCENT, CCMOV, CCOPR, CHNL1, CHONE, CTS, CTV, CYRTV, D121, DRAGN, ETCHI, ETDRA, ETGLB, ETNEW, FUJTV, GEMNI, GERTV, GUAND, HUNAN, IQRAA, JET, JIC, KAIRA, KUWTV, LEOWD, MABHY, NBN, NEWTV, NORST, NTV, PACVI, PAKTV, PHNIN, PRSBN, PTS, RADGR, RFI, RTVI, SAWLD, SHASH, SPT, SUNTV, SURYA, TAP1, TAP2, TARA, TEJA, TELSD, TTV, TTVN, TVJPN, UDAYA, VIDIT, VLAND, WGNO, WISN, WJRT, YOYO

#7 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:44 AM

You can not cascade a DP LNBF and a Legacy switch.

Easiest solution...

Use all legacy equipment. The 121 is harder to hit with a smaller dish though. When you use a SuperDish it would be peaked for the 121. If you can find an old primestar dish it would work OK. Legacy equipment (preferrably with the primestar dish for the 121) is the way you will need to go.

Everything I mention using in the quote you copied is Legacy by default.

#8 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:53 AM

Everything I mention using in the quote you copied is Legacy by default.

Note: It is doubtfull that a standard KuFSS LNBF will work with the DPP Twin

I was merely clarifying that DP and Legacy equipment would definitely not work together.
KL

#9 OFFLINE   Dish Dude

Dish Dude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:10 AM

actually using the standalone 121 or 105 dish you can run that into the DPP Twin and get it to work. We have used that on all locations with terrestrial interference
"you have already made the choice, you are here to figure out why"

#10 OFFLINE   pulltab

pulltab

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:56 PM

Thanks guys for the info. Didn't realize that the majority of the programming that I needed was on the 148....... pointed there and presto.

I know that some of the "other" exotic international programming is only available witha Superdish, so I will have to ask the customer for any "specific" requests for those channels///

Thanks again, guys.....

spam firewall