Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Lance and the Tour de France

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:54 PM

You know, if Lance wins this thing I think he will go down as one of the, if not, the greatest endurance athletes of all time. This guy is a STUD! Pete Sampras could be my second pick. Not talking about sports like football but sports that require pure unadulterated STAMINA.

What do ya'll think. :P
My time walkin' the blue globe is sparse. Hopefully, see ya'll on the flipside.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 04:13 PM

Amateur wrestlers, boxers, swimmers, long distance and gymnasts all need a great deal of stamina. But at the head of the pack, I would place myself, moving from the recliner to bed or bath. :D

#3 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 04:27 PM

But to be able to do it year after year after year after year like Armstrong and Sampras have done. Incredible No? :confused:

#4 OFFLINE   Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 09:17 PM

Particularly for Lance, doing it one year on chemo...

If the frogs didn't protest too much, we could just call it the Tour de Lance...
If you can read this, you are too close.

#5 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:50 PM

Well folks, he's done it. 7 straight wins of one of the most grueling physical challenges in the world. Way to go Lance - YOU DA MAN!!!
:us: !pride :up: :kickbutt:

#6 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:37 PM

I must say...he is one sick man! I could ride a bike down the hill here to the store, let alone for 23 days or whatever.

GO LANCE!
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

#7 OFFLINE   kcho6

kcho6

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:08 AM

It's definitely true of Lance, but Pete Sampras? Why would he be considered a top endurance athlete?

#8 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:21 AM

It's definitely true of Lance, but Pete Sampras? Why would he be considered a top endurance athlete?

Agreed. He may be a great athlete, but not as the biggest stud. But I guess the qualities that make a person a "stud" are different. Top of my "studs" lists would be Armstrong for his determiniation, staying on top of his game for so long especially during the early years fighting cancer, and his endurance. Peyton Manning for his knowledge of the game and his ability to seemingly change the game to suit his purposes, not the other way around. Michael Jordan...the basketball years...no need to say more on this. Tiger Woods also has the makes of being a stud. I'd say he's 3/4 the way there.

#9 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:35 AM

I think tennis is a great endurance sport. When you get to Pete's level it's just you and another world class athlete. No teamates like football or basketball. Tennis matches can last 2 hours or 5 hours. To play at that level for 5 straight hours makes you special. At any moment given there are only 3 or 4 guys capable of even challenging you.

Sampras is one of those rare birds who was able to do it year after year after year. I think it puts him in a very elite class. He's also the top tennis money earner of all time.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...