Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is DirecTV testing copy protection? - Channel 854

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jpurkey

jpurkey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 05:16 PM

I remember reading that DirecTV receivers have the ability to generate Macrovision, but I have never seen it before. However, this evening, by chance, I discovered that channel 854 (A 4th channel showing the sports schedule) appears to have the Macrovision (on some form of copy protection) turned on.

When I acciendentally hit channel down by mistake and went to channel 854 I received a message from my DVD recorder that "copying of this material is not allowed." Further attempts to record channel 854 to DVD gave the same message.

When the channel is viewed through a VCR the picture goes from dark to light and back in a repeat cycle, similar to Macrovision. Oddly, both my VCRs are still able to record the channel, but it's unwatchable as is.

The dark to light cycle and DVD copy protection occurs even if the guide is being displayed with the picture in the small window, which may indicate that it is the receiver generating it? And it is the same on both my DirecTV receivers, one an RCA435 and the other a Hughes.

Now, I have no need to record the sports schedule, especially since I don't watch sports. :) But could this mean that DirecTV is planning on using copy protection on other channels sometime in the near future?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:55 PM

Interesting. I tried it too.

I thought DVR's were like VCR's for personal viewing.

I wonder if DirecTV is giving in to the broadcast/movie lobby. One thing for sure the technology is there and it works.

If they start doing this on a wide spread basis, DVR sales will take a dive.

#3 OFFLINE   moonman

moonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 08:50 PM

I have been aware for some time now, that D* has this capability, but I am upset
that they now have it in practice. Those of you who have H/D Tivo's(10-250),
can tune to channels 201 and now 854 (component connections only), and press
the info button on your remote to see a disturbing msg, that the copyright owner
has allowed the content to be displayed at less than high defination.
If your TV does not happen to have HDMI or DVI connections(like mine), we may be out of luck. Let's hope they do not apply it to other channels!!

#4 OFFLINE   jpurkey

jpurkey

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 09:33 PM

So it effects a DirecTivo too? Or can you still record to Tivo, but just not from Tivo to a DVDR or a VCR?

I'm wondering if they are planning to use it on the preview channel (581)? It's possible I suppose that DirecTV is being required to block recording of those programs, but I guess we won't know until 1AM Tuesday.

#5 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 09:43 PM

vid output to tv card on computer will always work!!!
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2
DirecTV Tivo (Hughes SD40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
DirecTV Tivo (DirecTV R10) 70 hrs
DirecTV Tivo (Samsung SIR40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
XM SkyFi (disco'd) XM SkyFi2, BoomBox, PCR, Honda Unit, RoadyXT

#6 OFFLINE   missileman

missileman

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:46 AM

I just tried it on my DTivo....won't record.......I hate this. Does Dish do this? This could convince me to leave D* for cable.

Yes, I'm upset. That means ANY broadcaster could prevent recording.

#7 OFFLINE   moonman

moonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:49 AM

So it effects a DirecTivo too? Or can you still record to Tivo, but just not from Tivo to a DVDR or a VCR?

I'm wondering if they are planning to use it on the preview channel (581)? It's possible I suppose that DirecTV is being required to block recording of those programs, but I guess we won't know until 1AM Tuesday.

My guess is that it is a attempt to block the "analog" hole. That is you will
no longer be able to record H/D content in H/D, if you are connected via component. BTW, the channel description for 854 reads "DTV ND test"
no idea what that means...

#8 OFFLINE   jpurkey

jpurkey

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:18 AM

I dug my video stabilizer from the closet and found I'm able to use it to record channel 854 to both DVD and VHS. I paid $30 for it more than 10 years ago and never did really use it, so at least I have a solution if needed. However, I assume DirecTivo users are just out of luck if DirecTV starts using this on other channels.

#9 OFFLINE   moonman

moonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:20 AM

I dug my video stabilizer from the closet and found I'm able to use it to record channel 854 to both DVD and VHS. I paid $30 for it more than 10 years ago and never did really use it, so at least I have a solution if needed. However, I assume DirecTivo users are just out of luck if DirecTV starts using this on other channels.

Thanks for the tip..........

#10 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:58 AM

As to DISH Network, they tested Macrovision more than 5 years ago. I informed them that it made regular viewing on a TV/VCR impossible. :)

#11 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 884 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:06 PM

I don't have a tivo/dvr so I 'm a little confused.

Are you guys saying -you can buy a dvr/tivo,but D* can now make channels unrecordable?

What is the reasoning behind this?

#12 OFFLINE   missileman

missileman

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:29 PM

I don't have a tivo/dvr so I 'm a little confused.

Are you guys saying -you can buy a dvr/tivo,but D* can now make channels unrecordable?

What is the reasoning behind this?

You hit the nail on the head, tank.

#13 OFFLINE   moonman

moonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:22 PM

can now make channels unrecordable..........
The operative word here is CAN...they have not applied it yet for some time
on legit channels...I image they might apply it to PPV first(especially on-demand type things)

#14 OFFLINE   jpurkey

jpurkey

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:51 AM

If they do start using it on PPV movies (sporting events I don't care about) I would probably quit ordering PPV as a form of protest and let them know why I've stopped ordering. I know I could still record using the video stabilizer, but I shouldn't have to jump through hoops. Netflicks would just end up getting a new customer. :)

#15 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:21 AM

They are probably using the broadcast flag , something like CMSV-A
Mike Richardson

#16 OFFLINE   gbranch

gbranch

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:28 AM

D* already blocks recording of the Music Choice channels with the Directivo, although there is a backdoor that allows recording using a wishlist. There is no reason why they couldn't block any other channels that they wished. Of course, you can still make any analog recording of the audio-only channels.
Later,
---
Greg S. Branch

#17 OFFLINE   wipeout

wipeout

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:06 PM

The average, honest, everyday Joe gets screwed again.

#18 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:00 PM

The average, honest, everyday Joe gets screwed again.

How is that now? Since there is no actual content on 854, what does it matter until you cant actually record a program?

#19 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:24 PM

With the H-10 and a Philips DVD recorder, I get the message on both 854 and 201 about copyright restrictions. Although its funny...If I wait 10 seconds, without pressing a button, they both come in anyway. I dont get it. "You can't watch this!" 10 seconds later "Here you go!".

#20 OFFLINE   wipeout

wipeout

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:50 AM

How is that now? Since there is no actual content on 854, what does it matter until you cant actually record a program?

Won't be long before this spreads to channels with content.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...