Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is DirecTV testing copy protection? - Channel 854

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jpurkey

jpurkey

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:54 AM

They are probably using the broadcast flag , something like CMSV-A

With the RCA and Hughes receivers I have it is Macrovision, apparently being gnerated by the receiver in response to a flag from DirecTV. It is even being generated while in the guide while tuned to channel 854. I read a long time ago that the receivers have the capability of doing Macrovision, but I have just not seen it before.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   jpurkey

jpurkey

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:04 AM

D* already blocks recording of the Music Choice channels with the Directivo, although there is a backdoor that allows recording using a wishlist. There is no reason why they couldn't block any other channels that they wished. Of course, you can still make any analog recording of the audio-only channels.

How do they block DirecTivo? Is it a copyright message or is it just blocked because there is no video to record?

I have recorded Music Choice to DVD without problems. However, when I own the CD and can campare the sound quality of a song I then see just how bad Music Choice sounds in comparison. Plus the way they often mix the end (fade-out) of one song with the beginning of the next makes it difficult to get a good complete recording that way.

#23 OFFLINE   THX

THX

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:14 PM

I tuned to channel 854 with my HR10-250 that I have connected via HDMI. When I tuned to the channel it briefly said something like, "Not authorized to view via your HDMI connection" or something silly and then the message immediately disappeared and then went to some sort of informational screen. What's this all about?

#24 OFFLINE   gbranch

gbranch

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 12:06 PM

How do they block DirecTivo? Is it a copyright message or is it just blocked because there is no video to record?

If you are on a Music Choice channel and hit record, or select from the EPG, you get a message that says something to the effect of "Recording of audio-only channels is not allowed."

However, I know that prior to the 6.2 upgrade, you could set up a wishlist to find a specific music choice channel, e.g. Title = Classic Rock, then select automatically record, and it would record the audio without the title/artist banner. I haven't tried this since 6.2 spooled.
Later,
---
Greg S. Branch

#25 OFFLINE   moonman

moonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:28 PM

TiVo copy protection bug irks users
Published: September 13, 2005, 5:12 PM PDT
By Daniel Terdiman
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

TrackBack Print E-mail TalkBack
A bug in the latest version of TiVo's operating system has some users concerned that the service's content protection mechanisms--supposedly intended solely for pay-per-view and video-on-demand content--may someday be applied to broadcast television programming.

According to PVRBlog, a blog about TiVo and other digital video recorder companies and technology, some TiVo customers recently found that a recorded episode of "The Simpsons" had been red-flagged for content protection.

Due to copyright reasons, the reprinting of an entire article is prohibited. A copy of this article can be found at ZDNet and CNet News - Holtz

:nono2:

#26 OFFLINE   ADent

ADent

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:53 PM

Standalone NTSC TiVos should record a show with Macrovision. It is supposed to pass/recreate the Macrovision along during playback.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...