Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Wiring question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_SkippersMinnow_*

Guest_SkippersMinnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2002 - 09:48 PM

Hi Guys, I currently have directtv with a dual lnb and two receivers. I want to add another receiver, and want to know if I can just put a splitter in one of the existing lines and run it to the new receiver?? Or do I have to add another dish?? or another lnb??

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 11:12 PM

You need to get a multi-switch. You cannot use a splitter. The multi-switch will take your two signals and combine it into at least four outputs. Here is a link to EBay showing a wide variety of what is available:

http://search.ebay.c...rt&BasicSearch=

If you choose a "Buy it Now" you can get pretty fast shipping from most of the vendors.

I bought a Spaun 2X6 multi-switch and use five of the outlets. For what you are trying to accomplish, you could get by with a 3X4 (three lines in - including antenna and four lines out to the receivers). They are also listed as 4-Way. There are some listed on the page that are less than $25.00. If you are planning to have more than four receivers in the future, plan for it now, so you don't have to buy another multi-switch later.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

spam firewall