Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Newbe

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Henry_*

Guest_Henry_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:02 PM

Hi everyone,

My name is Henry. I just subscribe to the list and so excited to learn. Blinded my eyes , and bought a receiver(multistar) and a 18" dish and lnb whitout any knowlegde. I thoght, the best way to learn swiming is to jump into water. Now I am trying to learn tricks and things as a hobie. Any recomendation where to start, any place to explain things to a 5-years-old- brained adult :grin: Flashing and etc...

Thanks in advance,

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   chaddux

chaddux

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 989 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:22 PM

Hi everyone,

My name is Henry. I just subscribe to the list and so excited to learn. Blinded my eyes , and bought a receiver(multistar) and a 18" dish and lnb whitout any knowlegde. I thoght, the best way to learn swiming is to jump into water. Now I am trying to learn tricks and things as a hobie. Any recomendation where to start, any place to explain things to a 5-years-old- brained adult :grin: Flashing and etc...

Thanks in advance,

You can't get DISH programming with an FTA receiver unless you are planning to steal it so this thread should either be moved or closed.
Chad

"The problem with the gene pool is that there aren't enough lifeguards." - Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

#3 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:24 PM

In any case..... ------> Welcome to DBSTalk, Henry! :welcome_s

and so far, chaddux, he NEVER said anything illigal... - as you can see, he is obviously a "Newbe" ;)

#4 OFFLINE   chaddux

chaddux

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 989 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:27 PM

In any case..... ------> Welcome to DBSTalk, Henry! :welcome_s

and so far, chaddux, he NEVER said anything illigal... - as you can see, he is obviously a "Newbe" ;)

He's actually a "newbie" but he did say that he wants to know the "tricks" and he bought an FTA receiver. Like I said, you can't get DISH programming with an FTA receiver so, if he wants FTA programming, this should be moved to the FTA forum. Otherwise, it should be closed. In fact, you might be able to help him. ;)
Chad

"The problem with the gene pool is that there aren't enough lifeguards." - Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

#5 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:49 PM

Are you having a bad week or something chaddux??

That isn't exactly a warm greeting to someone making their first post.

Obviously, there is a disconnect in that he doesn't have an E* receiver, he said that he figured the best way to learn is by jumping in the water and trying to swim.

He did post to the Dish Network forum though, maybe he wants E* programming, and bought the wrong receiver. According to *your* words, he is a newbie.

It would be better to ask Henry what he wants to accomplish. Shoot first and ask questions later never works, because the person is probably dead!

Henry, welcome to DBSTalk!

Would you tell us what you want to receive? Do you want free to air programming, or are you interested in subscribing to Dish Network programming?

#6 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:54 PM

He's actually a "newbie"

By "Newbe" - i jokingly ( purposely.. for you ;) ) just quoted the way he spelled it in the Thread's name :D

But ya.. i see now he did say tricks (whatever he ment by that).. but several grammar mistakes.. and him being a "Newbe", etc.. made his post somewhat mixed up to me to really think hard.. or care of it's meaning :)

#7 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 04:00 PM

Are you having a bad week or something chaddux??

That isn't exactly a warm greeting to someone making their first post.

That's just chaddux "at his best" for ya.. lol.. or haven't you noticed the way he is on many previous occasions? :)

or rather .. "at his worst" maybe :D

But maybe he is just this type of a person.... to constantly behave / react to many posts in this manner... therefore...then just gotto get used to it.. That's all..

No offence, chaddux ;)

#8 OFFLINE   Evil Capserian

Evil Capserian

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 04:38 PM

I know Im dead but I just came back to find out where chaddux lives so I can come and beat him up for you all.

#9 Guest_Henry_*

Guest_Henry_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:38 PM

I've already started thinking that I did a big mistake to subscribe to this list. The only thing I wanted is to watch TV(hbo and similar) and learn what others do. I do not even know the difference between FTA and DBS as you noticed. Thanks for your help and encouragement so far.

Any grammar mistakes in this one?

#10 OFFLINE   chaddux

chaddux

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 989 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:43 PM

Hmm. The thread was moved so I guess was right. What a shocker. :lol:
Chad

#11 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:52 PM

just didn't have to be so harsh on him Chaddux.. on a Newbie expecially...

Nice welcome to the Forum ( AKA "list" i guess :) ) would have been way nicer maybe to great someone.....

And believe me .. if i saw something in his post that clearly went against Forum's rules.. i d be the first one to tell him so.. However that wasn't clearly the case in original post of his...

P.S. you made it simular to the "Shindler's List" (spelling?) instead.. maybe.. for him? ... Chaddux :D

#12 OFFLINE   chaddux

chaddux

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 989 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:55 PM

just didn't have to be so harsh on him Chaddux.. on a Newbie expecially...

Nice welcome to the Forum ( AKA "list" i guess :) ) would have been way nicer maybe to great someone.....

And believe me .. if i saw something in his post that clearly went against Forum's rules.. i d be the first one to tell him so.. However that wasn't clearly the case in original post of his...

P.S. you made it simular to the "Shindler's List" (spelling?) instead.. maybe.. for him? ... Chaddux :D

I wasn't being harsh! All I said was that you can't get DISH programming with an FTA receiver unless you steal it. Since he bought an FTA receiver, the thread needs to be in the FTA forum. Otherwise, it would have to be closed if it was left on the DISH forum. And the fact that it was moved proves I was correct! You blew it out of proportion, not me.

And I don't have a clue what you are talking about in regards to Schindler's List. How does this have anything to do with a movie about Nazis?
Chad

#13 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:58 PM

I am saying - my Welcome to him was somewhat nicer than yours.. bottom line :)

You could have Welcome him properly maybe also...

And then.. in a 2nd post maybe.. or following the nice welcome.. - you could have told him whatever you felt like needed to be told :)

#14 OFFLINE   chaddux

chaddux

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 989 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:03 PM

I am saying - my Welcome to him was somewhat nicer than yours.. bottom line :)

You could have Welcome him properly maybe also...

And then.. in a 2nd post maybe.. or following the nice welcome.. - you could have told him whatever you felt like needed to be told :)

Ok, well, your reference to Schindler's List was completely uncalled for. It is totally and absolutely absurd because it has absolutely no connection to this thread whatsoever and does not make any sense at all. Not welcoming someone has no relation to that movie.

Do you even know what that movie is about? It's a man (Oskar Schindler) who saves Jewish people by "hiring" them to work in his factory. How the heck does that relate to this thread?
Chad

#15 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:44 PM

Since he bought an FTA receiver, the thread needs to be in the FTA forum. Otherwise, it would have to be closed if it was left on the DISH forum. And the fact that it was moved proves I was correct! You blew it out of proportion, not me.

That is not necessarily correct chaddux. The thread was moved before Henry responded to the question of what he wanted. As it turns out, he didn't know the difference between an E* receiver and an FTA receiver. He also said that he wants to watch HBO. I take it that he was an uninformed customer that might have bought the wrong receiver to fit his needs.

Thus, it would not be out of place to move the thread back to the forum it started in.

#16 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,352 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:49 PM

Henry, Welcome to DBSTalk.com. :wave: It's good to have you aboard.

Here are some helpful links to get you started.

www.dishdepot.com
www.Dishnetwork.com
www.directv.com

Also, check out our package comparison chart HERE

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#17 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:49 PM

I've already started thinking that I did a big mistake to subscribe to this list. The only thing I wanted is to watch TV(hbo and similar) and learn what others do. I do not even know the difference between FTA and DBS as you noticed. Thanks for your help and encouragement so far.

Any grammar mistakes in this one?

To my knowledge, if you want to watch HBO legally, you have the wrong type of receiver Henry. It has no subscription fees, however, the free programming you get from it is limited. Dish Network and DirecTV both offer HBO, and depending on the current offer, free receivers, dishes, and installation.

This is usually where those Dish Club people chime in to get you a deal that gives them a referral.

Don't worry too much about grammar and spelling, your best is good enough!

#18 OFFLINE   chaddux

chaddux

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 989 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:38 PM

That is not necessarily correct chaddux. The thread was moved before Henry responded to the question of what he wanted. As it turns out, he didn't know the difference between an E* receiver and an FTA receiver. He also said that he wants to watch HBO. I take it that he was an uninformed customer that might have bought the wrong receiver to fit his needs.

Thus, it would not be out of place to move the thread back to the forum it started in.

I'm not talking about that. That's after-the-fact knowledge. At the time I posted my original statement, I was correct that it should not be in the DISH forum. Following the past actions on this site, any time someone wants DISH programming via an FTA receiver, whether they know what they are talking about or not, the thread has either been moved, closed or deleted entirely.

It may be that he intends to do absolutely nothing wrong and simply didn't know what to purchase. However, as I explained, when someone wants the "tricks" (his word) involving an FTA receiver, 9 times out of 10, it's hack talk.

This is usually where those Dish Club people chime in to get you a deal that gives them a referral.

And for the love of monkeys, it's not Dish Club. It's ClubDISH!
Chad

#19 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:07 PM

when someone wants the "tricks" (his word) involving an FTA receiver, 9 times out of 10, it's hack talk.

And when someone wants to know about "flashing" and only has an 18" dish, the odds go up to 99 out of 100.

Henry, if you're 1 in 100, you're going to need to subscribe to cable or Dish or DirecTV in order to get HBO. If you're one of the other 99, we don't want to hear about it.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#20 OFFLINE   chaddux

chaddux

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 989 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:40 PM

And when someone wants to know about "flashing" and only has an 18" dish, the odds go up to 99 out of 100.

Henry, if you're 1 in 100, you're going to need to subscribe to cable or Dish or DirecTV in order to get HBO. If you're one of the other 99, we don't want to hear about it.

Whoa! Good catch, carload! I didn't even see the part about flashing. Anyone who is a newbie should not have any knowledge about flashing or even know such a technique called flashing exists.
Chad

Protected By... spam firewall...And...