Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bad weather service?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dnewhous

dnewhous

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 08:05 PM

How is DISH network service in bad weather? I live in Florida, and it rains a lot. We have hurricanes too.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,729 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 06 August 2005 - 08:15 PM

Rain, in and of itself, is not usually a problem for a properly done install. Thunderstorms and hurricanes CAN be a problem - for those times, I keep an OTA setup maintained so I can still get news/weather information from my local stations.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:53 PM

Welcome to DBSTalk, neighbor. You are right up the road from me. Rain fade will knock out the service once in a while, but it could more accurately be called cloud fade. When a storm is moving in from the SW you will often lose signal for a few minutes. Rarely does the problem last more than 5 minutes, usually much less (assuming your dish is properly installed). During hurricanes, if you still have power, satellite will usually be back and operating before cable if your dish isn't damaged because there is no cable to go down. If you have a generator there is no doubt that satellite will be back first.

Just for the fun of it here are some damage pix from last year: http://www.pbase.com...jeanne&page=all
and a building that I own that got slammed: http://www.pbase.com...ebuild&page=all
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#4 OFFLINE   DeCrapinator

DeCrapinator

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:29 AM

How is DISH network service in bad weather? I live in Florida, and it rains a lot. We have hurricanes too.

Hi, I am in the Orlando area and we get very heavy sea breeze thunderstorms during the summer. When a really strong storm with thick dark cloud cover approaches from the SW I get signal loss. On a few occasions, with slow moving powerful storms, I have lost signal for about 1/2 hour. Sometimes when we lose signal I can get a spotbeam local.

My normal clear day readings on TP 11 & 12 are: 119: 118-123 and 110: 113-116. So these are pretty good for clear day reception.

I have installed a Winegard SS-2000 outdoor antenna and added a Sumsung SIR-T451 for HDTV backup in such situations. OTA local reception on HD signals is not interrupted by the storms :)

=========================================

Be yourself -- no one else wants the job.

=========================================

811 (2)
301 (2)

#5 OFFLINE   jtravel

jtravel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 04:02 AM

Normal clouds and rain never seem to bother my signal.
Im in Tucson,AZ however and right now were at the peak of our monsoon season. daily Thunder and electrical storms with drak storm clouds and heavy downpours.
When these storms move thru I first get intermittent signal loss messages reported by the 522 on the TV screen then It gets worse and the trying to acquire Sat signal screen comes up and it acquires signal and loses it and repeats process. At its worse the screen goes black and I have to wait for the storm to pass befor It can reaquire the signal.
These storms are fast moving and im only losing the signal for about 5 mins when they are directly overhead.

I noticed now when I run a check switch it passes but has a info page that shows two dates and times that tuner 2 loss signal.
These are not the dates of the most recent storms.
does this indicate I have a real intermittent problem with tuner 2 ?

spam firewall