Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

921 to get OpenTV by the end of 2005

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Will Dish deliver on OpenTV with the 921 by the end of 2005? (131 member(s) have cast votes)

Will Dish deliver on OpenTV with the 921 by the end of 2005?

1. Yes - I believe! (20 votes [15.27%])

Percentage of vote: 15.27%

2. No - Its as likely as Name based recording. (111 votes [84.73%])

Percentage of vote: 84.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:12 PM

On the August 2005 tech forum tonight, Renee Darby said that the 921 would get OpenTV support by the end of the year. Its in beta now I think she said.
I'm an angry gumball
Known Dish 6000 Tips and Tricks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 Guest_gpflepsen_*

Guest_gpflepsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:53 PM

ZZzzzzzzzz...............

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:10 PM

I voted Yes.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#4 OFFLINE   dfergie

dfergie

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:14 PM

Umm put in a I hope so.. lol... I voted yes to be positive...

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:23 PM

Boy.... I sure hope not.. Sounds like a big software change and I got to wonder what ghosts in the 921 code base it would summing. I personally have never found a need for OpenTV maybe now it provides more value add and would be a welcomed feature.

Wonder why they feel the need to add it by years end if MPEG4 will be rolling out. Seems like lot of risk with a very short opportunity window.

I voted no because if it does happen, I am not sure what it means in regards to MPEG4 and the 921 users.

P.S. Lets try to keep this one from wondering down the rathole. ;)
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#6 OFFLINE   jergenf

jergenf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:47 AM

Sure when dish gives free guide, they've promised openTV a long time ago. Fix our existing bugs before attempting new features.

They also mentioned that they dish pod players will download via USB (both 1.0 and 2.0) but didn't say if that includes the 921's USB 1.0 port. Nor did they discuss mpeg4 recievers, the 129 sat (dish1000) or future of more Voom.

Are you ready for L219 this Thursday?

#7 OFFLINE   Jerry G

Jerry G

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:38 AM

Boy.... I sure hope not.. Sounds like a big software change and I got to wonder what ghosts in the 921 code base it would summing.

I completely agree with you. Look what happened after Dish added the local guide information. A huge disaster that the 921 still hasn't recovered from. Another major addition to the software will be another disaster for the 921. Can't people learn from past experiences? The 921 is barely resuscitatable. Why put a bullet into it's head?

#8 OFFLINE   Jerry G

Jerry G

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:39 AM

On the August 2005 tech forum tonight, Renee Darby said that the 921 would get OpenTV support by the end of the year. Its in beta now I think she said.

You're assuming everyone wants this. The poll isn't valid unless it has an option of "No, I don't want OpenTV".

#9 OFFLINE   David_Levin

David_Levin

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:20 AM

Sure, I believe. Just don't care. I think they should be spending thier time on bug fixes and cleaning up the GUI.

They have been working on Open TV for the 721 for a LONG time. Code can probably be ported from there.
Bye Bye 921
Now playing with 2x 622s.

#10 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:27 AM

I voted yes as well since I was told it was already working. :)

However it wont be able to play most of the functions at release (just like the 942 and 721 dont have a lot of the features that other receivers have such as Karaoke, Games and other items.)

#11 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:32 AM

You're assuming everyone wants this. The poll isn't valid unless it has an option of "No, I don't want OpenTV".

And I would certainly vote no on opentv. I need my dvr to be a dvr and nothing else.
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#12 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:14 AM

Hey! start another poll to determine if this is a desirable feature on the 921. Personally, I don't like Mitch Miller and sing along garbage in my Home Theater.
Bah Humbug! :D

This poll is about whether you "believe" the bad actors on the Tech show when they tell you something will happen or not. I voted no because I have never seen Renee predict anything with any degree of accuracy. Here's how you can tell when Renee doesn't even believe what she is instructed to say... She smirks and rocks slightly side to side while talking. I didn't see the show but I've seen her delivery and observed her accuracy from the past. She is not a good liar! The only question I have about this is what Scott said, i.e., it is already working.

Opinion- I can live without this "OpenTV" nonsense. If it can be added without causing any grief, fine, but like others I have serious doubts the development team will be able to do that and doubt the beta team will discover obvious bugs either. I suspect that this OpenTV will also be a revenue generator for Dish so it probably has great priority over unimportant stuff like 921 hard drive failures and PSIP guide compliance.

#13 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:40 AM

Wonder why they feel the need to add it by years end if MPEG4 will be rolling out. Seems like lot of risk with a very short opportunity window.

My Guess – A feeble attempt at pacification of the “true believers” regarding promissory obligations – yeah right! :sure: Hopefully it gets the atypical sweeping under the rug – which it should. :D Demons already abound, why conjure more? :eek2: Unless of course, Don is correct about its revenue generation potential. Yeah! Karaoke sing-a-long with Charlie – only $3.99 per tune! Ah the miracles of modern technology… :lol: :lol: :lol:

#14 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:58 AM

The only question I have about this is what Scott said, i.e., it is already working.

I was told before that it was working but buggy do to a video driver problem but that it would be fixed with a new driver (this was 4 months ago if not longer)

Its not that hard of a plug in actually. I have seen some thing that they have done which will never see the light of day. Many requests that people have made for new features have already been done so that the concept works, next its up to legal and management to give a yes or no to the new features.

The 921 itself has been a sore subject, I have been contacted by a few big politicians about the 921 and about its issues. Dish needs to look like it is still working on it to keep them out of really hot water. Myself I say even with OpenTV that the 921 is dead.

#15 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:08 PM

The 921 itself has been a sore subject, I have been contacted by a few big politicians about the 921 and about its issues. Dish needs to look like it is still working on it to keep them out of really hot water. Myself I say even with OpenTV that the 921 is dead.

If E* really wanted to get themselves out of "really hot water" they should give-up the nonsense of us having to subscribe to LIL's in order to get guide data.

BTW: Is the OTA guide data one of the 921 issues these "big politicians" are aware of?

(my sig says it all)
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#16 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:15 PM

No the two issues I was contacted for regarding the 921 was Firewire and Dish Home.

#17 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:32 PM

My answer is yes, but fix the existing problems first and make sure it doesn't break anything else!

#18 OFFLINE   Bradtothebone

Bradtothebone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:38 PM

Hey! start another poll to determine if this is a desirable feature on the 921. Personally, I don't like Mitch Miller and sing along garbage in my Home Theater.
Bah Humbug! :D

This poll is about whether you "believe" the bad actors on the Tech show when they tell you something will happen or not. I voted no because I have never seen Renee predict anything with any degree of accuracy. Here's how you can tell when Renee doesn't even believe what she is instructed to say... She smirks and rocks slightly side to side while talking. I didn't see the show but I've seen her delivery and observed her accuracy from the past. She is not a good liar! The only question I have about this is what Scott said, i.e., it is already working.

Opinion- I can live without this "OpenTV" nonsense. If it can be added without causing any grief, fine, but like others I have serious doubts the development team will be able to do that and doubt the beta team will discover obvious bugs either. I suspect that this OpenTV will also be a revenue generator for Dish so it probably has great priority over unimportant stuff like 921 hard drive failures and PSIP guide compliance.

I couldn't agree more, Don. Why would anyone waste their time working on something a small fraction of a very small group will ever use (and even if they do, for how long?)?

Brad
Acquiring Signal...........Please Wait

#19 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,925 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:53 PM

No the two issues I was contacted for regarding the 921 was Firewire and Dish Home.

Yea, what ever became of all those questions you answered for the folks???? Did it die because E* came up with some $'s to shut someone up ;)

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#20 OFFLINE   VoomVoom

VoomVoom

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:17 PM

Before I vote.... Can someone please tell me what "Open TV" is.??????

spam firewall