Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What is MPEG4?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cg0789

cg0789

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:08 AM

I know it is a stupid question, I hear it being used in the fourms, but I am interested to know more about it. (Note: I am just a customer from Dish, so try not to use many "technical" terms). ;)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:11 AM

i believe it's a new format (maybe compression, etc)

more tighter so to speak..

Like presently we are using Mpeg-2 .. Mpeg-2 receivers...

So if / when Mpeg-4 comes out.. new receivers will more likely be needed... Mpeg-4 ones...

Mpeg-4 will allow DISH to put something like twice as many channels on a transponder than current Mpeg-2 ...

P.S. I could be not 100 % accurate or correct even on my explanation above :)

#3 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:32 AM

The actual term for what will be used is thought to be H264 which is an extension of Mpeg4.

It apparently provides more efficient use of the bits, resulting in less bandwidth being required for a given Picture Quality.

#4 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:25 AM

The actual term for what will be used is thought to be H264 which is an extension of Mpeg4.

Both DirecTV and DISH Network will be moving to MPEG-4 Layer 10, H.264 (also called MPEG-4 AVC) compression for their HD channels. MPEG-4 AVC will deliver more quality for the same amount of bits so both vendors will be able to deliver more HD channels from their satellites.

For the near term (3 to 6 years?) the SD channels channels will continue to use MPEG-2 compression.

The September, 2005, issue of Home Theater magazine has a very good article on MPEG-4 and the many uses (satellite, DVDs, digital cable, video over DSL) that it may be used for in the future.
Bill R

#5 OFFLINE   navychop

navychop

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:19 AM

I believe both satellite providers have announced the change over is to take about 3 years.

#6 OFFLINE   PAULSTORM

PAULSTORM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:28 AM

I've read where they will be adding more HD channels as in the locals with MPEG4. Will they also be adding more HD channels from the cable channels like a USA, Lifetime, TBS, etc?

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:15 PM

The 3 channels you mentioned dont have HD versions yet....until USA actually HAS an HD version, noone can carry it!!!

Here is a list of what is available nationally..

http://www.hdtvprime...prog_avail.html

The only thing missing from that list seems to be the VOOM HD stations available from E*...

#8 OFFLINE   paulcdavis

paulcdavis

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:03 PM

The current video encoding system MPEG2 (also used in DVDs) is a frame based compression scheme that (in simple terms) encodes the changes from frame to frame, instead of encoding each frame of video.

MPEG4 is an object based encoding and compression scheme that breaks up the video stream into objects and encodes them separately. This results in greater compression since you can use your bandwidth more efficiently by using more bits for moving objects (i.e. people), and less bits on fixed backgrounds.

http://www.chiariglione.org/mpeg/

has more detailed info on MPEG encoding.
Vip 622 activated: 5/28/07
Dish 1000-1
SW: L405 RB6D-N 5/28/07
HW: RBGD-N Bootstrap 1711 RB6D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...