Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

UTV ???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EBris

EBris

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 11:39 AM

Hello,

I am new to the forum so I have a question concerning UTV.
Currently I am a E* customer but considering jumping to D*. If I purchase 2 UTV units will I have to pay 9.95 for each unit or 9.95 for one unit and a 4.99 mirroring fee for the other. I like E* but there PVR 721 is toooo expensive. How do you guys like the UTV??

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 12:16 PM

I love mine. The price of the 721 is what finally shook me loose from E*, since I got 2 UTV units for free after rebate.

2 options for the UTV's:

$9.95 + $4.95 for both(UTV fee), using MSN as your isp (3 free hours per reciever a month for internet access), or

$9.95 + $4.95 for both(UTV fee), plus $4.95 add'l per reciever to use your own ISP.

Internet on UTV works, but you may not be happy with it, especially if you have broadband at home. Once they allow us UTV'ers to use a USB ethernet port to access the internet, it will be a great device to occasionally access email, etc. from your favorite couch.

Both RCA and Sony make UTV's, but the Sony comes with a wireless keyboard... nice for searching.

Welcome to DBSTalk!
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#3 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 12:23 PM

FYI, orbitsat.com has a RCA UTV/RCA standard deal going for $119.95... You get 1 RCA UTV, 1 RCA standard system, 18"dish and multiswitch. http://WWW.ORBITSAT.COM
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET

#4 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 02:08 PM

They also have a deal for one RCA UTV and the dish for 0.00 if you are a new customer. You could then buy a Hughes GAEBO receiver for $49.95 and a multi-switch for about $30.

BTW I bought a keyboard off EBay for $17.

The UTV fee covers all UTVs on the same account.

I really like my two RCA UTV receivers. Both have worked flawlessly. I upgraded one of mine to 120GB and will now hold 105 hours.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#5 Guest_jasonf_*

Guest_jasonf_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2002 - 03:08 PM

UTV is awesome! Its just like a DP but way better, you really can't go wrong. I've never had one problem in 5 months.

It just proves that all the software issues of the DP were Dish's fault, while DTV and MS have clearly made a very stable product. To bad Dish didn't step up to the plate, otherwise I'd be with them still.

#6 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 03:38 PM

I'm not sure it proves that, I just think that E* ended up being the beta customer, IMO.
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET

#7 Guest_Edmund_*

Guest_Edmund_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2002 - 03:55 PM

If you can fnd one, RS has the
RCA UTV for $79.And if your
already a subscriber, they need
proof, to let you off the hook
for anymore fees.

#8 OFFLINE   EBris

EBris

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for all the info. I have one more question. PQ has become an issue with E*. You guys that have had E* know what I mean. Is D* better? I know that it is PQ is subjective but just trying to get idea??

#9 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 09:36 AM

Perceptions being what they are, I believe that PQ on D* is a measure better than on E*. YMMV, though...
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET

#10 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 15 July 2002 - 07:23 PM

That's an individual call. Go to a dealer (CC, BB, or RS) and see for yourself. Many have argued over which provider has better PQ.
When I switched to D* in March, I thought the D* PQ was better but, again, that's me...
HarryD

spam firewall