Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

XBox 360 Preorders Now at EBGames.com

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:56 PM

The first US online site to take orders has now gone live, but it's gonna be a shocker.....

If you want a premium system bundle (the one with the hard disk, and not the brain dead hard diskless, memory cardless core system bundle) it will set you back $700.

It does include 4 games that most will buy anyway (well Kameo might not have gotten my order, but Rare Ltd. made the game so it might be worth a buy), plus an extra wireless controller and a charger. They aren't gouging you with a premium, and it will save you about $50 bucks if you ordered the extra items separately, but many will have a tough time coming up with that many kopecks.

The other deal killer (for me anyway) is that the shipping address MUST match your billing address. Since my credit card has my home address, and all my packages come to my office, this is a deal breaker for me. I'll have to take my chances at Best Buy. I had bought a bundle from EB Games last time, and although they forced me to get a bundle then as well, at least I had it with 3 days of the launch.

I just can't risk an $800 package sitting on my front porch to either get stolen or rained on.

Here is the EB games link for those that still want to go this troute (like I said, if you HAVE to get one within a week of release they are a great source, although it still hasn't been established whether their storefronts will get the bulk of their first allotment or whether the online bundle buyers will have first crack)

http://www.ebgames.c...sp?site=NLF0823

Here is a link for a site that is tracking preorder retailer sites...... I THINK it is sponsored by Microsoft as the fonts are identical to those on XBox.com, but it may just be an enterprising sort who has worked out a commission for clickthroughs from the site......

http://www.xbox360preorders.com/
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,301 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:46 AM

$800 is absolutely INSANE :eek2: for any game box, no matter how many bells & whistles. Are those people who are willing to pay that nuts, or just terminally stupid? :confused:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

Gaming Guru and Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:58 AM

Wait until you see what the PS3 will sell for. The PS3 head honcho is positioning it as a "supercomputer" and "Sony's Ken Kutaragi strongly suggested that the system will carry a high price tag when he said, "Our goal for PlayStation 3 is for consumers to think to themselves, 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."

#4 OFFLINE   marko

marko

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:14 AM

I've always enjoyed video games, but now that i am getting older, and with a price tag like that, I do not think I will be purchasing an xbox 360 anytime soon. Maybe when it gets to $250 for the delux version.

#5 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:59 AM

In the past few months I've put about $2000 each into the computers my son and I use. I think I'll pass on the $800 gamebox and buy some more pc games. If I wanted to spend that much more money I would replace the motherboards in the boxes and get 2 more PCIe cards to link with the ones we have.

#6 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:22 AM

It does read like a super computer.

http://www.xbox.com/...0/factsheet.htm

It has 3 3.2GHz processors? Built in WiFi. 20GB HDD.

Isn't the Sony one supposed to play blu-ray DVDs?
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

#7 ONLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:05 AM

For $1000 I got a *really* cool HP Media Center PC with over 400GB of disk - just bought the 'brick' as I already had the monitor.

#8 OFFLINE   vurbano

vurbano

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:08 AM

700 bucks. an anemic 20 gig hard drive, no built in 802.11 g (I hear thats an upgrade) and no HD DVD. No thankyou.

Whats with this tiered live subscriptions? Silver, Gold. You gotta be kidding me :rolleyes:

#9 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:37 PM

Silver gets you updates and other goodies for free. Gold buys you full access and online gaming.

Considering that I used to pay a $2000 premium on my PC to get upgraded as necessary to play 10 games a year, the consoles are a bargain and they always work (no crashes or glitches or 10 FPS gameplay).

I'll be getting an XBox 360 as soon as I can. I pay more for being an early adopter, but the unit will last me 4-5 years like my current XBox has.......

I understand why they don't want to embrace either BluRay or HD DVD. They aren't fully baked yet. PLUS, even though they will have more storage space, their transfer speeds are still not where they want them to be yet. We'll see, they may wind up releasing one that plugs into one of the USB ports as it doesn't look upgradable like the hard disk does....
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,462 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:16 AM

It should be pointed out that the XBox 360 comes in two versions -- the base system with no HDD for $299 and the "deluxe" with HDD and more bells and whistles for $399. EBGames has configured a pricey bundle, figuring that most folks will want all the goodies they'll be including. The early adopters like Bob will probably jump at the opportunity.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#11 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:36 AM

I don't get too upset with the bundle strategy, as long as the games they pick are ones with universal appeal. When I got my first XBox, it came bundled aith an extra controller, Oddworld, Dead or Alive 3, and Halo. I didn't want Oddworld, and wound up selling it back quickly as used, but the other two still get played occasionally.

I DO like the idea of extra wireless controllers, but I am going to miss my "Duke" controllers (the bigger ones that were originally supplied... they later downsized them to the S Controller). I bought up the used larger controllers whenever I saw them used on sale. I also had gotten the cable extenders so I could sit 16 feet back from my 57" TV on my couch.

I will be buying a bundle... I'm just waiting for the right one to come along. EBGames stupid prohibition about shipping to anywhere but a billing address (Do they really think that people who can afford $800 are not going to have jobs and can sit at home waiting for the UPS guy so they don't leave it on the front porch?) knocks them out.

Plus, all of these bundles are for MSRP pricing... not great but not gouging in my book. The guys on EBay who try to charge $200 more than retail get that distinction. Supply is still a mystery. Will it be like the PS2 with huge shortages, or like the PSP where anyone who wanted one could get one on launch day (and creamed those who sought to gouge on EBay)...... Time will tell.....

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 02:23 PM

Oh lordy.... check out the link for the "Omega Bundle"

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/360/360.asp

$2000 folks for the system plus a BUNCH of games and accessories.

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   buzzdalf

buzzdalf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:54 AM

Wow!

#14 OFFLINE   Paradox-sj

Paradox-sj

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:40 AM

Its been reported that the DVD player that is in the 360 IS an HD DVD but it will take a firmware update to activate the feature.

Either way my pre-order went in on day 1 so I hope to have it in about 9 weeks :-)

#15 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 01:43 PM

Where did you hear this? That would be REALLY good news..... I know they don't want to help Sony's BluRay succeed for obvious reasons, so that leaves HD DVD as their only other feasible alternative....

Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

Gaming Guru and Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:43 PM

Its been reported that the DVD player that is in the 360 IS an HD DVD but it will take a firmware update to activate the feature.

Either way my pre-order went in on day 1 so I hope to have it in about 9 weeks :-)

Not according to IGN:
"What kind of disc drive will the system use? Will it employ or support Blu-ray or HD-DVD?
Xbox 360 will use a standard DVD drive like the original Xbox, though it's said that most games will be dual-layer DVDs, holding over 9GB of data. As such, it will support neither Blu-ray nor HD-DVD.

The reasoning is that even if Blu-ray or HD-DVD drives launch before Xbox 360, they'll be very expensive and would drive the system cost through the roof."

http://xbox360.ign.c...8/608394p4.html

There is a rumor on the boards that the 360 is upgradable to a HD-DVD drive. MS has not said anything official about an upgrade that I have seen.

#17 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:08 PM

This fits more with what I had heard.......

As there are USB ports on it, it would be easy enopugh to add a corded external drive if the software were coded to allow it.

Although the hard drive is modular and can slide out easily, the DVD drive is integrated into the shell based on just looking at the unit (unless the faceplate can be removed and the DVD drive swapped out.... still no hard info yet.........)

Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:33 AM

And now Walmart is taking preorders........

http://www.walmart.c...h=0:2636:233481

Not bad as far as bundles go.......... I'm still waiting to see what Best Buy will do before I commit (Gotta use that Reward Zone card and get that extra 3% back which saves another $20 off of whatever price they are asking)

Posted Image

Protected By... spam firewall...And...