Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

501 vs. 301 in heavy rain

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DRJDAN

DRJDAN

Legend/Supporter

• Registered
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 10:09 PM

We had a heavy rain storm tonight. My 501 went out before the 301 did at the beginning of the storm.

My 501 did not come back when the 301 did. The 501 switch check showed all ok with normal signals. Support had me turn off and unplug for 30 seconds. Then everything worked ok. Support said that needed rebooting like a computer even though we had no power loss. She said the lost of sat signal could cause the same issues as loss of power.

This is the second storm that I have had this problem with the 501.

Do 501's normally have to be rebooted after storms?

Do 501's normally go out before and come back on after 301's?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 10:39 PM

It shouldn't go out before. As for the reboot, it shouldn't need it - but it doesn't surprise me. I have a DISHPlayer. Nothing Echostar makes could surprise me now (except perhaps, a working product:) )

#3 OFFLINE   motjes2

motjes2

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 July 2002 - 06:45 AM

I have a 501 and I have experienced signal loss with thunderstorms or heavy rain. The signal loss has not been for more than 2 minutes and the signal always come back.

#4 OFFLINE   abospaum

abospaum

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 July 2002 - 07:20 AM

My 501 was doing something strange a couple of days ago during a big storm. I was recording a show when the storm hit and I lost the signal on and off. I noticed that the record light turned off and when the reception came back it didn't come back on. I pushed the record button again and got a timer conflict. If it knows that it is supposed to be recording a show then why didn't it do it.

Also last night I had a show I was watching and recording at the same time on pause. When it was time for my next recording to start the PVR was still paused and did not try to record the new show. Has anyone else seen this bug?

#5 OFFLINE   johnsmith22

johnsmith22

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 July 2002 - 11:31 AM

I used to have the same problems as you described when we were back on software release 130 something, since the releases moved on back in February the problem has gone away. Make sure you have 154 which up til yesterday was the latest I had received.

#6 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,189 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 12 July 2002 - 11:50 AM

If one IRD was getting its feed from 110W
and the other from 119W you could very well
have one come back before the other.

Nickster :smoking:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#7 OFFLINE   psecic

psecic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 July 2002 - 04:24 PM

Does the 501PVR have interactive features, I.E. weather, games? I just ordered one from Dishnetwork for $99.00. My Dishplayer shuts itself off & on when flipping channels.

#8 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 12 July 2002 - 04:31 PM

Yes, the 501 does have OpenTV :)
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#9 OFFLINE   psecic

psecic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 July 2002 - 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Steve Mehs
Yes, the 501 does have OpenTV :)

I thought it did. Thanks for the info. :) :) :) :) :)

#10 Guest_sha_*

Guest_sha_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2002 - 07:02 AM

psecic you ordered on for $99 or $199
If you ordered it for $99 how did you get them to give it to you for that price? s plain

spam firewall