Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

E-mailed D* and inquired abour Superstations

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 01:13 PM

If you get your locals, what is so special about the supers? What programming do they offer that your locals don't? On my NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, UPN, and WB that I get here in Salt Lake, I get everything the network offers. Why do I need to see Friends on Thursday night 3 times? If you get a PVR, your "need" for supers will go away. For $99, you can put your stress about supers away and move on. If you "need" supers so bad, you should be with E*. In your area, if you want locals, you have one choice.

If you think you are going to get better programming and service with a merger, I think you are dreaming. I hope I am wrong, but every merger/monopoly that has happened in our area has been bad for consumers. Our power company merged a few years ago, and we are now having brownouts, our cable companies merged, and they are awful now. I see the same happening with DBS. No competition is never good for consumers. Digital cable in my area is non-existent. I am only offered analog, so DBS is the only digital service available for me. I like having a choice. It also keeps the companies on their toes to keep offering new services and technologies.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   AJ2086

AJ2086

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 01:54 PM

Well I wont be getting a UPN because for some reasons the CT locals didnt hook up UPN. Anyone know why? And the CT locals dont carry alot of the programs available for syndication so supers would be a great thing to me.
AJ

XM Customer Since: 12/28/02
D* Customer Since: 2/6/03
Tivo User Since: 11/12/03

#23 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 09:29 AM

Originally posted by karl_f
If you get your locals, what is so special about the supers? What programming do they offer that your locals don't? On my NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, UPN, and WB that I get here in Salt Lake, I get everything the network offers. Why do I need to see Friends on Thursday night 3 times? If you get a PVR, your "need" for supers will go away. For $99, you can put your stress about supers away and move on. If you "need" supers so bad, you should be with E*. In your area, if you want locals, you have one choice.

If you think you are going to get better programming and service with a merger, I think you are dreaming. I hope I am wrong, but every merger/monopoly that has happened in our area has been bad for consumers. Our power company merged a few years ago, and we are now having brownouts, our cable companies merged, and they are awful now. I see the same happening with DBS. No competition is never good for consumers. Digital cable in my area is non-existent. I am only offered analog, so DBS is the only digital service available for me. I like having a choice. It also keeps the companies on their toes to keep offering new services and technologies.

Their are many small and mid size DMA's out their that do not have a full time WB and or UPN, the Supers are the only way for these folks to have UPN and or WB programing. My own DMA of Chattanooga TN has a full time WB, however the only UPN programing available to us hear is only on late nights on the local FOX affiliate. Even if the merger is approved and Chattanooga locals are added, I still want the Supers.

As far as PVR's go, their are many who do not own one of these and would enjoy the convenience of having the choice of 3 deferent x to watch Friends or what ever, besides having more opportunities to watch a program also means more opportunities to record one as well.

If this merger is approved it will not be a monopoly, cable is getting more and more competitive, and that is the primary competition. Once everything is on one platform their will be plenty of room for all 210 DMA's plus more national channels and HD tv, which means more choices on ONE platform for both current D* and E* subs.

#24 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 12:23 PM

If they have supers in both the DirecTv and Dish Network local packages now then why not have it after the merger? It would be part of must carry. I would not see why they could not offer the superstations that are not offered in one city for the next DMA because some places are on the border of DMA's like I am.

#25 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 08:45 AM

Must carry deals with locals WITH IN a DMA. Outside a DMA you have to qualify for distant nets---and then UPN and WB do not qualify. The supers are a special case spelled out in the regs. Even then the issue of sndex comes up. Currently if DISH gets syndex requests they just stop offering the channel they do not try to just block out "Everybody Loves Raymond".

Right now there are not many markets where DISH does this. But if the number of potentiala sius more than doubled stations MIGHT do this. But we just don't know.

As for what is special. Well the supers ahve some sports and they have local news etc and some folks want that. I watch the WSBK 38 news out of Boston.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#26 OFFLINE   Ralphk

Ralphk

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 08:57 AM

why do i need then supers?

1. Nearest TV station is over 55 miles away.

2. Nearest WB or UPN station is around 125 mile away.

3. I live at the far end of the 131st DMA and expect to see the winter olympics televised from Hades before either providers offers "locals" here.

4. No WB or UPN station in this DMA. ( There's also no FOX station in this DMA!)
Ralphk

#27 OFFLINE   TimL

TimL

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 01:08 PM

I like the supers for the news as well as well as time shifting on WB when I do watch it..I like the extra Sports.Mets, Rockies Baseball, and the LA Clippers on KTLA this winter Also Bruins Hockey on WSBK 38

Tim L
Previously known as TimLones..just went back to my old username..

Protected By... spam firewall...And...