Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Chisel Channel?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:29 PM

According to this Wikipedia article on DISH Network
http://en.wikipedia....ki/DISH_Network
it says that they carry this "Chisel Channel." Anyone know what this channel is?
Do you DVR?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:52 PM

The Chisel Channel and Zebra Network (listed at the bottom of the page) are actually business TV networks. These are channels that companies buy time on to narrowcast their programs. There are several dozen companies that do this on Dish like Busch Satellite Network, Wal*mart TV, Lucent TV, etc. . Most of the BTV channels are in the 9600 channel range and hidden from the general public. Several of them are mirrored in the "Shopping Mall" area (channels 216-229) when not leased out to BTV entities.

http://www.chiselindustries.com/work/

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#3 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:30 PM

Thanks for the info. And I didn't know Wal*Mart TV is hosted on DISH satellites. (???)
Do you DVR?

#4 OFFLINE   Spruceman

Spruceman

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:14 AM

I clicked on this because I thought the title meant they were going to add a channel showing people chiseling at wood 24/7. To me, this would be more interesting than The Golf Channel or a tennis channel -- OTOH, even a "grass growing" channel or an "aquarium" channel would be more interesting. Maybe chiseling could be added to the Olympics given the push to add poker to the venue.

#5 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:19 AM

I thought all the QVC/SAH type networks were "chisel channels".

#6 OFFLINE   Spruceman

Spruceman

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:48 AM

There's probably more "chiseling" in action shown on the C-SPANS each day than on all the QVC/SAH channels combined in a year. Home shopping has yet to take a penny of my money in their entire existence and never will. Can't say the same for the gov't.

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:42 AM

an "aquarium" channel would be more interesting.

If you get an HD receiver (and a dish aimed at 61.5) there actually is one! The HD Demo Channel shows an aquarium most of the time (with variouis "sponsors"). :new_sleep
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

spam firewall