Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is Dish the way to go?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   glennh73

glennh73

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:45 PM

Im looking into maybe getting Dish network, but have a few questions that i hope someone here can answer.

1. i have trees around my house, is that going to stop me from getting a signal? Just really worried about that.

2. Do i have to rent each reciever? As of right now i i want the HD reciever, the Voom package, local stations in HD( though i here u only get CBS in HD, Whats up with that) and need a second reciever for my non hdtv.

3. How many dishes will i get since i want voom, locals and HD?

4. Is the HD package of Dish Network any good? Is it clear?

5. Dish is having an offer of free Dish 811HD Receiver, free HD pack for 6 months, AT 180 free for a month, 3 months of hbo, showtime an cinemax and free intallation.

Now does that include the actual Dish itself or do i have to buy that separate from the reciever?

Oh i am planning on the AT120 package.

Thank you all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:09 PM

Im looking into maybe getting Dish network, but have a few questions that i hope someone here can answer.

1. i have trees around my house, is that going to stop me from getting a signal? Just really worried about that.

Depends where the trees are, trees do block the signal, but until someone comes out and actually checks out your property there's no way to tell for sure whether you can get a line of sight.

2. Do i have to rent each reciever? As of right now i i want the HD reciever, the Voom package, local stations in HD( though i here u only get CBS in HD, Whats up with that) and need a second reciever for my non hdtv.

Yes there is an additional $5 fee for each box w/ the lease deal.

3. How many dishes will i get since i want voom, locals and HD?

Depends where you live.

4. Is the HD package of Dish Network any good? Is it clear?

Don't have HD yet, so i'm not sure, their SD pic is much better than anything I could ever get OTA or through local cable though.

5. Dish is having an offer of free Dish 811HD Receiver, free HD pack for 6 months, AT 180 free for a month, 3 months of hbo, showtime an cinemax and free intallation.

Now does that include the actual Dish itself or do i have to buy that separate from the reciever?

Yes it includes the Dish itself for the standard programming and your locals. However you might have to pay extra for a Dish to get the VOOM channels. Once again this depends on where you live.

Oh i am planning on the AT120 package.

Thank you all.

Hopefully some of that was useful to you! :)

#3 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:25 PM

Allow me to express an opinion on your question #4 regarding HD. - HELL YES! It will ruin you. I just hate watching shows in SD. If it is available in HD, I would rather watch it real time instead of using my DVR (which is also the bomb). Just as soon as E* comes out with an HD, MPEG4, DVR box I'm going into hock for it. If you love sports (footballs, baseball) you will never want to go back. Of course the amount of programming available to you will depend if you can receive your local channels OTA in HD. I can so it is great. It will be a year probably before E* starts bradcasting HD locals (see MPEG4 switch) to those who can't. Even so, I would still go HD based on the old Voom programming available, and the ESPNHD, HBOHD, NFLHD, etc. Lots out there and it is only going to get better.
I'm back! Needed more than 1 HD feed.

#4 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:39 AM

2. Consider the 942. It's a $250 upgrade on the lease plan, I don't know the discount or if it's offered on the ownership plan. It is also subject to the "no phone line" and DVR usage fees. On the plus side it will save you the extra receiver fee, feed separate programming to 1 HDTV and 1 analog TV, record digital broadcasts and any satellite channel, and give DVR features to both TVs.

Dish offers only 2 local channels in HD: CBS-NY and CBS-LA. Those are also offered as distant nets to those who qualify.

3. Two dishes. And you're in luck because you will get that second dish installed at no extra charge if you subscribe to your locals. Why? The Pittsburgh locals come from 110° except for WPCB which comes from 61.5°. While that is true (Dish has a May(?) deadline to make each set of locals viewable from a single dish) Dish is obligated to provide the extra dish and possibly a more expensive switch needed for your receiver(s) at no extra charge to you. The Voom channels also happen to come from 61.5° but tell them you want the dish for WPCB.

You can later add Voom to your programming. The Voom channels are also at the moment being transmitted from 129° but since no announcement has been made that may not be permanent. Dish will also be expanding the Voom lineup from 10 to 21 channels sometime in the next several months. Depending on where these channels end up you will already be set or just need to repoint the 61.5° dish to 129°.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#5 OFFLINE   glennh73

glennh73

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:55 PM

Wow im really confused here. The 942 is nice, but the whole reason im getting Dish is cause of right now i get the dish and HD receiver free, ( except $50 activation fee).

If i had to pay 250 for a dish i would just wait and go with comcast and get all the stuff free.

But all this talk about 61.5 and 129 degress worrys me cause i have no idea where that is in the sky and i will get free installation so figure let them worry about that. But will i have to now worry about that?

Though if Dish goes and moves all of that stuff, will i be screwed or what?

More i read the more it seems i should wait, but then i would miss out on free reciever and dish.

IN all honestly i wish i could just get the HD package and nothing else.

What is WPCB?

So to sum it all up, if i get dish now, will i be screwed later?

#6 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:03 PM

If you're not interested in recording/time-shifting HD programming, stick with the 811. You will need a 2nd receiver to watch different programming on the other TV.

Here are some sites to help you with your site survey:
on-line AZ/EL calculator
downloadable AZ/EL calculator for Win95 and on-line ZIP code tables
Preliminary Site Survey based on where the Sun Shines
Use sun or moon to choose the best place for your satellite antenna

You can get just the HD package if you buy your equipment without taking advantage of any new customer deals. There is a $5 access fee for not having any of the AT, Dish Latino or Great Wall packages. Otherwise you are required to keep at least AT60.

WPCB is Cornerstone channel 40 in the Pittsburgh market which includes the only Kittanning I found in a quick search.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

spam firewall