Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is this possible? Tailgate Dish

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:42 PM

OK, I'm very new to Dish so please bear with me here. Without getting into the Dish rules on the subject, is the following set-up possible? I have an old Direct TV dish with one LNB (I think that is what it is called - the little white circle thingy that aims back at the dish). Is it possible to hook that up to an active 322 receiver? If so, what do I need to make the connections?

Basically what I'm trying to do here is use this extra dish to watch ESPN GameDay while tailgating for a couple of football games this year. I would be taking the receiver with me from home and just setting this up at the tailgate. Like I said, I'm very new to this, so this may not be possible, I have no idea. Thanks in advance for the help!

Brian

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   mudder1310

mudder1310

AllStar

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:34 AM

Sure. You would want to run two lines from the LNB to the inputs on your 322 or you'll get error messages. Then you need to make sure you have it pointed properly (duh). You might also need to run a check switch test whenever you move the receiver from the house to the tailgate, since you probably are using DP equipment on the house and the direct is essentially legacy gear.

I would use a 4' piece of aluminum fence post and an antenna tripod for your temporary dish stand.
It's just TV.

#3 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:36 AM

Cool. I was hoping that was the case. As you point out, I know it has to be properly pointed, but does anyone know a good resource (either online or in print) for extreme novices in dish pointing? Thanks!!

#4 OFFLINE   Shellback X 23

Shellback X 23

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:41 AM

You might also need to run a check switch test whenever you move the receiver from the house to the tailgate, since you probably are using DP equipment on the house and the direct is essentially legacy gear.

I would run a check switch after you disconnect the antenna in your house but before you disconnect the house TV. This will lower the voltage from 12-18 VDC for the DP LNB's to the 6 VDC for the old Direct Antenna LNB.

Then run a check switch again after you attach the receiver to the old Direct antenna. Follow the same procedure in reverse when you take the receiver back into the house.
Shellback X-23
Wandering America's back roads with a RV waiver
Currently Located at: On the Road Again

#5 OFFLINE   bigrick

bigrick

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:58 PM

Just use a 5 gallon bucket with a bag of quickrete and a 3ft x 1 5/8 in. diameter fence post (as stated above) and let the concrete set-up overnight so your post-in-a-bucket is ready for the tailgate. Make sure you run the check switch(menu-6-1-1-check switch-test) with the satellite inputs dis connected before leaving home. You will now see all XXXX's on the screen. press cancel and goto peak angles, now, put in the zip for the tail gate if it's far from home, or just use the existing zip if it's say within 50 miles. Then select dish 300 for dish type, and sat 119. At this point it will tell you the azimuth and elevation on screen. This will be used to point the dish. When you get to tailgate for goodness sakes take a torpedo level. Puut the bucket or whatever you dacided to use as a pole and make sure it's plumb to the north and south(a little off east and west won't hurt). Set the elevation from the point dish screen, point the dish south, and then start slowly turning towrds the required azimuth (compass) heading. At this point you'll want the receiver to be on the point dish screen with the 119 sat selected, and a transponder above 10. As you lock the sat you'll see the bar turn green, go slow. once you have locked a signal, tighten and run the check switch to reveal the 119 odd and even and your good to go.

#6 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:32 AM

I don't think I'd want to drive around with a 5gal bucket of contrete with a pole sitting in my car. One small accident and bad things can happen.
I'm an angry gumball
Known Dish 6000 Tips and Tricks

#7 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:48 AM

Thanks so much for all the help. The quickrete is a great idea. It will be in the back of the truck so it will work perfect. This is truly a great forum with great information. Thanks again to all who helped!

#8 OFFLINE   Dang The Hung

Dang The Hung

Godfather

• Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:46 AM

Just hope that the Gestapo Audit Team doesn't call you on game day wanting to know why your receiver isn't hooked up to a telephone line.

#9 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:08 AM

Since I won't be home, I don't think they will be able to reach me =). On that note, is there a "legal" way to do this? I mean, it is only for 6 days a year.

#10 OFFLINE   GFloyd

GFloyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:51 AM

You'll be fine. I've been doing this for 4 years now. Although I've never purchased the ESPN Gameday pkg ... not sure if it requires a phone line connection. If not, you'll be fine, but aiming can be a pain until you get the hang of it.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:54 AM

Just hope that the Gestapo Audit Team doesn't call you on game day wanting to know why your receiver isn't hooked up to a telephone line.

The audit team generally doesn't bother customers who have had their receivers connected recently. If this is a receiver that is normally connected to a phone line you should be OK for a day away.

JL

#12 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:46 PM

This will lower the voltage from 12-18 VDC for the DP LNB's to the 6 VDC for the old Direct Antenna LNB.

You've got your #'s wrong. DP uses a constant 19.6 Volts while legacy and D* uses a 13/18V switched LNB.
Haven't logged on in almost 2 years. Haven't done installs in a long time. Good luck.

#13 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 08:38 PM

You've got your #'s wrong. DP uses a constant 19.6 Volts while legacy and D* uses a 13/18V switched LNB.

What does this mean? Sorry, I just don't understand why this matters to me?

#14 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:17 AM

It means that if you move a receiver from a DishPro setup to a Legacy one, there is a CHANCE you can burn out the old Legacy LNB due to the higher vltage that DishPro uses. The correct procedure to do this is to disconnect the satellite feed, then run a Check Switch. This will put the receiver back into Legacy mode. THEN move it to the tailgate.

P.S. Hey Shellback! Good to hear from ya!
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#15 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:46 AM

Oh OK. Thanks for the advice!!

#16 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:48 PM

"Just do it!"

Don't worry about Dish, lakebum431. I've got your back. Besides, I like the way you think.

My recipe for gameday tv tailgating fun:
1. folding tripod stand
2, Dish receiver
3. tv
4. power inverter*
5. bunch of wires

Stir, don't shake. Sit back & enjoy! :)

*http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=45648

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#17 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:47 PM

Finally got the spare time tonight to try out the portable setup. Works great. First time ever aiming a dish and I was able to do it in about 10 mins. Checked out both 110 and 119 and was able to get both to work (obviously separately). Thanks so much to everyone above who provided direction and input. I really appreciate it and couldn't have done it without you guys.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...