Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Columbus, Tupelo Locals partially working

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MSUfan

MSUfan

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:46 PM

I live in the Columbus/Tupelo, MS region and I receive the following locals.

Channel 4, 9, 12, 14, 27, and 45.

I had to move the dish because of an overgrown tree and now that I've reconnected it, I get everything perfect, except for Ch. 4 and 12. I know these locals are spot beamed and the signal is probably just a little harder to find for these than others, but I would think that all locals are all coming from the same transponder. THe only thing different is that 9/14/27/45 all show coming from the same area, Tupelo. And 4/12 show coming out of Columbus....but the signal can't be that "tight" can it? Or could it be from 2 transponders?

Does anyone know which transponder(s) these are coming from and I'll check on my signal strenght meter?

By the way, This is D*TV.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 07:31 AM

Unless anything has changed, Columbus/Tupelo channels are coming from the same spot-beam transponder, except for 14 (the WB). The locals are coming from transponder 4. It wouldn't surprise me that there could be some technical difficulties.

#3 OFFLINE   MSUfan

MSUfan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:53 PM

Hmmm....I checked and I have 89% on transponder #4. I tweaked it just a little and got 91, not much change. Anyway, still not receiving those channels.

Is there anyway for the receiver to give the infomration about which transponder it is looking for? When I put it on Ch. 4 or 14, I get the typical "Searching for satellite signal" screen.

thanks.

D10 receivers
Single LNB

#4 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 576 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:04 AM

Actually, 4 and 12 in Columbus are not on the Memphis spot like 9, 27, and 45. They are on the Nashville spot TP18. Regardless of that, you should still receive them.

Room was made on the Memphis spot to accomodate WPXX PAX50 in Memphis. In this case, they moved 4 and 12 to the Nashville spot, since they had 2-3 slots they weren't using.

#5 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 06:36 AM

Alas, gor88, you are correct. I remember something about this when WPXX was added. DirecTV "spoofed" the legacy channel numbers on their webpage, which makes it appear that all locals are on transponder 4. They did the same thing to the Chicago locals, where there appear to be 18 consecutive legacy channel numbers, which makes them appear as if they are from a single transponder.

Therefore, 4 and 12 are coming from transponder 18.

#6 OFFLINE   MSUfan

MSUfan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:09 PM

Guys, you were right, it must be on 18. I rechecked TP18 and it was only at 38. I found a loose connection (after gving up on my dish alignment) and got it up to 78. Looks like I'm back in business with channels 4 and 12.

Thanks for all your help!

#7 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 576 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:13 PM

MSUFan,

Glad you got 4 and 12 back. I am familiar with Columbus-Tupelo, MS locals, because my mother in Coffeeville receives them too. :)

You may want to verify that all connections are solid. I would think that you should get signal strength in the high 80's or low 90's on TP 18.

#8 OFFLINE   MSUfan

MSUfan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:03 PM

gor88,

I would think so too. Unfortunaetly, I didn't check what it was on TP18 before I moved it. Originally, I was told TP4, so in it's old location, I did check it way back when I installed it.

I'll keep working on it, because I'm sure at 78, I'll get some problems when it rains heavily.

Thanks!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...