Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTivo..Tivo What is the difference?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kmccoach

kmccoach

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 July 2002 - 07:17 PM

Is there any functions the DirecTivo has versuses a standard Tivo unit other than the capability of using the unit to watch DirecTV. I bought tow new receivers about four months ago and would like to know wheter it would be better off to get the combined unit or just the standalone Tivo. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this subject.

Thanks,

Keith:D

#2 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 12 July 2002 - 08:25 PM

A DirecTiVo can record 2 programs on 2 different channels AND let you watch a third recorded show at the same time. A SA TiVo can record only one show while letting you watch an already recorded one.

The DirecTiVo has no quality settings because it records the actual bitstream as it comes in from Directv. There is no loss of quality on the recordings - they look EXACTLY as good as the live signal. A Directv receiver/SA TiVo setup has to decompress the signal then compress it back down using the SA TiVo's own (inferior) encoding chip. Even leaving the TiVo set at "Best" will not equal the DirecTiVo's PQ.

The DirecTiVo CANNOT record anything except Directv's signal, so if you don't subscribe to locals from Directv it won't record them from an OTA antenna - it will only pass them thru to the TV without recording. A SA TiVo can record from any input source.

The DirecTiVo can record & playback a DD5.1 soundtrack if the program has it. A SA TiVo cannot - it has no DD5.1 input or output.

The DirecTiVo gets its guide info from a constant trickling stream in the Directv signal and only has to dial out once a month to verify service with TiVo. The SA gets guide info either from daily calls (no more 800# service, so long-distance calls may be required) OR from a TiVo service paid program shown on the Discovery channel late at night.

Did I mention recording 2 shows at once ? :D This really is the killer app - it makes conflict resolution a snap. I never watch live TV or commercials any more because my DirecTiVos have so much stuff recorded that I can choose from. I don't even know when many shows are scheduled on live TV - I watch when I get ready :)
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#3 OFFLINE   kmccoach

kmccoach

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 July 2002 - 10:07 PM

Thanks for the info. I will be heading off to Circuit City for that deal.

Keith

#4 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 12:20 AM

Go for it. You'll love the dual tuners. They are very solid, reliable units.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#5 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 02:00 AM

Originally posted by kmccoach
Thanks for the info. I will be heading off to Circuit City for that deal.

Keith

If you are going to Circuit City because I got my DirecTiVos there, don't bother - they sold out of them months ago. In fact, if you are already a Directv subscriber, you probably can't get a DirecTiVo anywhere right now.

You may be better off looking for an UltimateTV on sale at Best Buy or online somewhere if you want something today. They have the dual tuner functionality and the OS was much improved recently. You can also replace their stock HD with a bigger one (DTiVos can handle 2 160 gig HDs for 250 hrs max recording capacity, UTV only allow you to replace the original 40 gig/35 hr HD with a larger one for about 106 hrs with a 120 gig HD).

If you can wait until late Summer/early Fall, the DirecTiVo Series II units will be out. They should have on 80 gig/70 hr capacity, and rumor has it that since they are cheaper to manufacture they will sell for less than the Series I units - maybe $199 or so to existing subs. No guarantee on that price though :shrug:
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#6 OFFLINE   kmccoach

kmccoach

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 09:31 PM

I guess I will go and see what is there. My cousin is a manager at Best Buy maybe I will see if he can hook me up. Thanks for the info.

Keith

#7 OFFLINE   EricG

EricG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 07:30 AM

You can get DirecTiVo at orbitsat.com for $99.
DirecTV HR21
DirecTV HR10-250 (30hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (140hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (107hr)

#8 OFFLINE   kmccoach

kmccoach

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for the infoEric. I lived in Cleveland in 2000. Boy do I miss living on the EastSide and time at the Flats. Go Indians!

Keith

#9 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 09:52 AM

Saturday I just picked up a returned Hughes D-Tivo at our local Best Buy f/$79. For that price, thought it was a bargin for a back-up unit, since they are NO longer made anymore...

#10 OFFLINE   Hoosier

Hoosier

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 04:53 PM

What are peoples opinion on what will happen if the merger goes thru? Will they continue to allow subscribers to use their DirecTivo recievers..ect....I have read in some forums that they will replace existing recievers? DirecTV continues to press forward with new recievers? Looking for peoples opinions or advice about purchasing new PVR recievers? :confused:

#11 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 10:08 PM

I would think that it will take a while to switch everyone over to a common format. They have also pledged to swap out equipment for equal equipment for free. You really have nothing to lose in purchasing a PVR. Worst case scenario is that it will be replaced at no cost to you. Best case is that they would go with whatever format PVR you buy (doubtful). If you only spend $99 on a UTV or Directivo and it takes two years to replace it, it really is $99 well spent. The value of the product makes it a good deal.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#12 OFFLINE   timf

timf

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 06:50 AM

I just know that I love my TiVos, and if a merged company ever tried to replace them with a piece of crap like the Dish 721, I would seriously consider dropping satellite.

#13 OFFLINE   jasonf

jasonf

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 09:05 AM

I would be shocked if TIVO didn't continue its contract with DISH, and you would just have DISHTIVO... I can't see them pissing off 200,000+ customers with the 721 that IMO doesn't even come close to what my Dtivo can do currenlty.

It just wouldn't make sense for them to drop TIVO, as churn is a big issue, they know people that have their TIVO's and UTV for that matter, love them. NO reason to rock the boat.
EX- DISH DP owner :(:(

2 DTIVO's :) and never miss a recording!

1 HDVR2

spam firewall