Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CBS HDTV available to everyone?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gaz

gaz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:20 PM

I am seriously thinking about changing from D* to E*. I noticed that E* has available CBS HDTV to those who subscribe to the the High Definition channels. Does this mean that I can receive this channel even though I do not qualify for distant networks? If so, I will seriously consider changing satellite providers since all Southeastern Conference football games are broadcast by CBS. :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   TBarclay

TBarclay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:31 PM

NO! You do need to qualify to get it!

#3 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:31 PM

CBSHD is not available to all. Check the DISH Network site for availability. It likely is available on D* with the same requirements.

#4 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:55 PM

You need either to be in an O & O (Owned and Operated by CBS) market, or you need a waiver.
KL

#5 OFFLINE   gaz

gaz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:58 PM

That's what I thought. Isn't is wonderful that in the "land of the free" we are deprived of the right to receive a quality signal, even where the locals don't offer a decent ota signal, much less high definition. I wonder what people would think if we were deprived the right to buy out of town newspapers and magazines. :mad:

#6 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:02 PM

Here we go again....

The qualifications required by CBS HD are there because THIS IS THE WAY CBS (owner of the content) WANTS IT!!!!

If CBS wanted to sell their HD channel nationwide tomorrow, they could! All they have to do is nullify their contracts with their affiliates granting them exclusivity (as in to exclude others).

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#7 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:11 PM

That's what I thought. Isn't is wonderful that in the "land of the free" we are deprived of the right to receive a quality signal, even where the locals don't offer a decent ota signal, much less high definition. I wonder what people would think if we were deprived the right to buy out of town newspapers and magazines. :mad:

Are you not far enough away from B'ham to qualify for distants?

Have you tried a long range antenna? CBS here broadcast at 1000 kW. You should be able to get that from Mars. :D

If you get B'ham locals you can get Fox and NBC over that sat. in HD, though, both are O&O here.
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

#8 OFFLINE   gaz

gaz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 04:13 PM

Are you not far enough away from B'ham to qualify for distants?

Have you tried a long range antenna? CBS here broadcast at 1000 kW. You should be able to get that from Mars. :D

If you get B'ham locals you can get Fox and NBC over that sat. in HD, though, both are O&O here.

:mad: Might as well be on Mars as far as receiving HD signals here in Auburn, AL. are concerned. I've talked to antenna installers here in Auburn. Besides being very expensive to install and my neighborhood frowns on outside antennas, installers seem to agree that getting a decent HD signal from either Columbus, Ga or from the Montgomery area is a "hit or miss" (mostly miss) situation. Birmingham is too far away to even consider.

#9 OFFLINE   derwin0

derwin0

Icon

• Registered
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:36 AM

Auburn, AL is in the Columbus, GA market (which Dish does not offer locals to yet).
You'll have to get a waiver from WRBL (ch 3).
The Montgomery, AL affiliate WAKA (ch 8) might claim you, as it's only 54 miles away & VHF) so you'd have to get a waiver from them too.

btw, Go Jackets (c/o '93) :D

#10 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,362 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:08 AM

what..if we were deprived the right to buy out of town newspapers and magazines. :mad:

I've thought the same thing...if I wanted to subscribed to the AJC, but I had to ask for a waiver from the local Brunswick News first, they would not grant a waiver because they want me to read only the advertisements in their newspaper.

Seems like the same thing to me. It's nothing less than government-sponsored corporate protectionism, fueled by huge political contributions from the NAB to certain powerful members of congress, plain and simple, and these same greedy politicians are supposed to working for OUR best interests?

Not a chance in hell! :nono2: :mad:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#11 OFFLINE   WhiteForMe

WhiteForMe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:38 AM

Funny thing, E* wants me to get a wavier from one CBS affiliate. D* says I need a wavier from Two CBS affiliates, as Iam smack in the middle with a B grade sig. So same old story for DNS CBS Denied, Denied, Denied, Denied, Denied.

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:51 AM

I guess the thing is, people think it is unfair when it affects them... but not when the other way around.

Like the towns that protest when Wal-Mart wants to build a store, because they don't want big business to drive their small businesses out of work.

Or the people who live in a neighborhood and sign a petition to keep low-income housing out of their neighborhood surroundings because they don't want "those" people around to drive down property values.

Where are the cries of "this is a free country" then?

Bottom line really is... people want what they want, when they want it, and it is always "unfair" if we don't get our way now... so we rarely think/see the other side of it.

In this case, the network wanting to protect its own interests and that of its local affiliates revenue by not doing an end-around allowing us to see the network feed instead of the local feed without permission.

#13 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 02:03 PM

my neighborhood frowns on outside antennas

Who gives a damn? Tell your neighborhood to shove it.
Mike Richardson

Protected By... spam firewall...And...