Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need Receiver On 24/7?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:16 PM

When I had my DirecTV system installed, the installer guy told me that I should leave my receivers on 24/7 because DirecTV does some kind of random hits on receivers or something of that sort in order to combat people pirating their signals. I'm assuming that since he said to leave them on that if DirecTV tries to hit my receivers and that their off, something will happen. I know this sounds way out there, but I want to make sure. I have two D10-200 receivers which got the software upgrade today. Now they operate and look like the standard D10s (software wise). However, with this software upgrade the "TV Power" "On/Off" buttons will turn off/on both the receiver and TV at the same time where as with the old software it just turned off/on the TV. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks everyone.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:28 PM

The only way to really turn off a receiver is to unplug it. Pushing the off button only turns off the outputs.

#3 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:30 PM

The only way to really turn off a receiver is to unplug it. Pushing the off button only turns off the outputs.

Oh, I didn't know that. Good info. Thanks...

#4 OFFLINE   123abc

123abc

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:56 PM

When did D* start sending software upgrades to the d10-200 and when can I see it happen in miami, fl.

#5 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:27 PM

When did D* start sending software upgrades to the d10-200 and when can I see it happen in miami, fl.

I am not sure what D*'s schedule is for update rollouts. It wasn't suppose to hit my area until October but, there is a way to force the update if it's there. Assuming you have a D10-200, reset the receiver. When the blue screen saying "Hello" is displayed, punch in the following numbers in the following sequence....02468 Just enter those numbers and don't hit any other button. The timing of this operation is very crucial/picky. You have to do it at the right few moments. If you do it right, after the second blue screen saying "almost there" shows up, it will go to a screen and will start downloading the new software. My honest suggestion is as soon as you hit the reset button start entering the numbers 02468 02468 02468 until the "almost there" screen is displayed. Then just wait and see if it worked. It didn't work on my first try. I had to do it a few times before I got it. I hope this helps.

#6 OFFLINE   123abc

123abc

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:45 PM

what does this next screen look like. i'm not home so i want to know what to expect?

#7 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:33 PM

what does this next screen look like. i'm not home so i want to know what to expect?

Well assuming you follow the instructions and it works for you. You should see the blue screen saying "hello...." that is also when you need to enter the 02468, then the next screen will be the blue screen saying "almost there....", then if you entered the code correctly and at the right time, the next screen will show progress bar of the new software download and also telling you not to interrupt the power of the receiver while the download is in process.

#8 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:56 AM

When I had my DirecTV system installed, the installer guy told me that I should leave my receivers on 24/7 because DirecTV does some kind of random hits on receivers or something of that sort in order to combat people pirating their signals. I'm assuming that since he said to leave them on that if DirecTV tries to hit my receivers and that their off, something will happen. I know this sounds way out there, but I want to make sure. I have two D10-200 receivers which got the software upgrade today. Now they operate and look like the standard D10s (software wise). However, with this software upgrade the "TV Power" "On/Off" buttons will turn off/on both the receiver and TV at the same time where as with the old software it just turned off/on the TV. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks everyone.

D10 (100) does the power button this way.

#9 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:38 AM

D10 (100) does the power button this way.

That's what I guess after the software upgrade.

#10 OFFLINE   123abc

123abc

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 06:34 PM

took your advice but all i got was a green screen after the "almost there" screen.
Maybe the update is not available in my region.

spam firewall