Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New 5 Sat. Location DTV Dish (unoficial until seen as wel all know)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of DirecTV's New 5 Satellite Dish? (77 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of DirecTV's New 5 Satellite Dish?

1. I Like It! (7 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. It's all Right... (12 votes [15.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.58%

3. Don't Like It! (17 votes [22.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.08%

4. Who cares as long as I get more channels. (41 votes [53.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.25%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:22 PM

Well these are the images sent to me by a source I have on what the new 5 satellite location dish is going to look like, and the way I am understanding it, so all the installers know, you will have to have a bird dog or sat 9250 meter to properly align it. Yes, I know it is an eye sore, but hey what are you going to do........................ :D :nono2:

Attached Thumbnails

• new dish front2.JPG
  • new dish back1.JPG

DNSC_Installer

We get it up, We get it in, We get it on.....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   nightrider

nightrider

Legend

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:27 AM

it looks like this dish will need switches to combine all the sats ,, what they call them sw21 switch ,, hope i;m wrong

#3 OFFLINE   dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 05:32 AM

it looks like this dish will need switches to combine all the sats ,, what they call them sw21 switch ,, hope i;m wrong

the way i understand it, it is not suppose to, i am under the impression it is suppose to work like the triple sat lnbf, but i am not 100% for sure.
DNSC_Installer

#4 OFFLINE   SummitAdvantageRetailer

SummitAdvantageRetailer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:22 AM

I don't see a switch built into those LNBF's. But only 3 LNBF's capturing all 5 slots?

#5 OFFLINE   DJSix

DJSix

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:00 AM

I assume the numbers on the lnb's are orbital slots, but what's with the numbers of 97 and 103? D* has sat's at 101, 110, and 119, but 97 and 103?

I have a feeling the pictures may be the work of Photoshop.

Ryan

#6 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:25 AM

I assume the numbers on the lnb's are orbital slots, but what's with the numbers of 97 and 103? D* has sat's at 101, 110, and 119, but 97 and 103?

I have a feeling the pictures may be the work of Photoshop.

Ryan

97 and 103 are supposed to be the location of the new KA band sats SW1 and SW2. However the true slot location for these sats are 99 and 102.8! So the inacurracy of this photo is minimal! If you look closely you will see that the writting acutally say 99 and not 97! The top of the nine seems to be faded and somone tried to draw back over it, probably in MSPaint but screwd the number up!I just read elsewhere that this picture is a photo of a prototype and "NOT" the actual dish D* going to use! :nono2:

#7 OFFLINE   dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 02:28 PM

actually, no photoshop involved, i hand wrote the numbers before i scanned it
and yes it may be the prototype, as i said in my original post (unnoficial until seen)
DNSC_Installer

#8 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,224 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:44 PM

Something doesn't look right!

The labeling appears to be backwards. 99/101/103 should be on the left (right side if you are facing the dish) and not where it is..

Think about it!

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#9 OFFLINE   dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 06:08 AM

damn, you try to just share some possible information that you had access to and suddenly everyone is a critic trying to pick it appart. ...........

yes the numbers are handwritten, nothing is photoshopped, and yes the sat locations might be in the wrong place, they were actually written in while I was driving down the road..............

anything else? :confused:
DNSC_Installer

#10 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,798 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:04 AM

anything else? :confused:

No sir, it looks good, thanks for the pictures. Interesting that theres only 3 LNB's verses 5. Pretty neat that one LNB can pick up 2 satellite locations. :D

#11 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 03:02 PM

Why on earth does it have to be so complex on the back? What are all of those things and what is their purpose? Are those used to fine tune the dish at very small increments since there are five orbital slots to locate? I wonder if Dish Network will end up coming out with a similar dish in the future. They are already coming out with a Dish1000. Maybe DirecTv is wanting to come out wth their new 5 sat dish to get it over with instead of coming out with several versions.

#12 OFFLINE   dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:02 PM

as far as the actual adjustments on the back, I would guess it is for fine tuning, similar to the international dish. that is just specualtion though as I have not even seen it in person, these pics were passed on to me by a senior technician at the site I work at that handles all this stuff.

Why on earth does it have to be so complex on the back? What are all of those things and what is their purpose? Are those used to fine tune the dish at very small increments since there are five orbital slots to locate? I wonder if Dish Network will end up coming out with a similar dish in the future. They are already coming out with a Dish1000. Maybe DirecTv is wanting to come out wth their new 5 sat dish to get it over with instead of coming out with several versions.

DNSC_Installer

#13 OFFLINE   k2ue

k2ue

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:56 PM

Well these are the images sent to me by a source I have on what the new 5 satellite location dish is going to look like, and the way I am understanding it, so all the installers know, you will have to have a bird dog or sat 9250 meter to properly align it. Yes, I know it is an eye sore, but hey what are you going to do........................ :D :nono2:

I don't recognize the reference to the "9250" meter -- whose product is that?

#14 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:21 PM

Just out of curiousity, could the real system be 3 locations (97/101/103) off the one feed horn and one each off the other two feed horns (110 & 119)? From the layout it just looks more logical spacing wise.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#15 OFFLINE   dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:06 PM

k2ue----I inverted my numbers, it is here at this link the other meter http://www.tequipmen...ntsSAT9520.html

richard king---I am not sure on the actual locations on the lnbf's, that is just what I was told, that is why it is hand written on the images, if anyone finds out before I, please post it, mine is just what was passed along, but as far as not having seen or set up one myself yet, I am not 100% accurate.
DNSC_Installer

#16 OFFLINE   Budget_HT

Budget_HT

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:45 PM

The positions of the numbers seem okay to me when you consider reflecting the signals off the dish. In the sky, behind your back (when viewing the picture), 97 and 101 would be to your right, meaning the LNB for 97 and 101 would be on your left to pickup the reflected signal.
Dave

#17 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,926 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:58 PM

Hmmmmm... this is a stupid question, but if I don't ask it....

I have a Phase III Triple LNB dish. One of the nice features is that it includes a self-powered switch. Will this new dish also include a self-powered switch, or will we need a power inserter a-la Dish's DP-44/DP-64 switches?

Also, will my DirecTiVo Series II and my two HBH-SAs be compatible with this new dish setup?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#18 OFFLINE   dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 05:23 AM

The way I understand it it certain markets, they will start upgrading the HD customers first. It will be similar to when most communities got the local upgrade. They will swap out the Dish and the recievers, and that is suppose to be all that is required. Then supposedly, they will move into DVR customers and finally Standard receivers.

Hmmmmm... this is a stupid question, but if I don't ask it....

I have a Phase III Triple LNB dish. One of the nice features is that it includes a self-powered switch. Will this new dish also include a self-powered switch, or will we need a power inserter a-la Dish's DP-44/DP-64 switches?

Also, will my DirecTiVo Series II and my two HBH-SAs be compatible with this new dish setup?

DNSC_Installer

#19 OFFLINE   greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:02 AM

No sir, it looks good, thanks for the pictures. Interesting that theres only 3 LNB's verses 5. Pretty neat that one LNB can pick up 2 satellite locations. :D

I'm guessing that where you see only 1 LNB for 2 locations, there are actually 2 LNB's under one cover, like the E* SuperDish. For 5 locations, yeah, there better be an integrated switch....5 downleads from the roof? Nasty!

#20 OFFLINE   DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:23 AM

So, our current multi switches will work with this? I have a 5x8 and am putting in another 5x8 for more DVR's. Hate to do it and then have to swap them out again.

John

Protected By... spam firewall...And...